Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Beware Tomales  (Read 2656 times)

Duckguy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Any long, narrow body of water can be normally calm if the prevailing winds are at approx. 90 degrees to it. To males is usually 70 to 90 degrees off the onshore or offshore winds, and protected by a fairly high ridge on either side. Let the winds be parallel in that narrow channel and it's a recipe for a one-way trip. Even Lake Natomas, shallow and narrow, is normally perfect for crew competitions; but it can get really ugly on that rare occasion.
Warning! Retiree; Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it.

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor G2

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Thanks for this post. It's a wake up call for those of us who get comfortable on the water.
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
Ok I've been watching everyday and have been talking to people from the area what s the deal
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
My trip on April 21st looks like cloudy 58degrees possible rain and saterday Sunday is 63 at high and 48 at night wind is unknow but watching latly it will be 14mph but watching the Doppler radar I'm hoping for this storm to piss out all the rain for my trip. As a avid kayaker and sportsman I will use my knowledge and best judgement to enter the water with respect to mother nature. Safety first I am a father and a husband and plan to come home to them
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 01:24:35 PM by Kayakfish7 »

ALPINEX

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Just keep an eye on the forecast!

Tomales is an awesome place as you know, but it's one of those spots that can lull you into a false sense of security. Check the wind direction and make sure it's not running directly up the bay. Also, check the tides and plan to leave when there's plenty of water. A low tide can make it pretty miserable to get out of Nick's.

I always see like 50 rental kayaks out by Hog, I've been out there fishing in my dry suit, and seen couples on rented tandems in shorts and t-shirts. As the wind is picking up, I'm headed in, and some of them are headed down wind further from the launch. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of people get towed off of the bay by boats, it's just not reported.

You guys will have a blast over there! I think I may come out Saturday and sail a bit if it's nice.
WS Thresher 140
Tarpon 160i
Hobie Adventure Island

Mung

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Tomales is usually so peaceful back by Hog Island, even when the kicks up a little. I can't even imagine it being so bad you'd have to call 911.

Depends on the boat and the skill level.  If you're in a short boat that tracks poorly, and do not know how to paddle into a headwind, you can get in a heap of trouble when the weather kicks up.
Manta Ray 14'; Magic 14.5'

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Just keep an eye on the forecast!

Tomales is an awesome place as you know, but it's one of those spots that can lull you into a false sense of security. Check the wind direction and make sure it's not running directly up the bay. Also, check the tides and plan to leave when there's plenty of water. A low tide can make it pretty miserable to get out of Nick's.

I always see like 50 rental kayaks out by Hog, I've been out there fishing in my dry suit, and seen couples on rented tandems in shorts and t-shirts. As the wind is picking up, I'm headed in, and some of them are headed down wind further from the launch. I'd hazard a guess that a lot of people get towed off of the bay by boats, it's just not reported.

You guys will have a blast over there! I think I may come out Saturday and sail a bit if it's nice.
The rental kayakers will make you pull your hair out, ive rescued my fair share of them on motor boat and none of them relize how quick it turns out there and the currents.   I am actauly one of the guys in a t shirt and shorts, if its cold or windy i throw on my old crabbing coast guard life jacket.  But i know the currents and i know when the wind picks up and when its time to head home. I swam in the bay for years with nothing but shorts as a kid so as long as you don't put yourself in a bad situation you dont need a suit for in there if you dont mind getting covered in fish.  The key to watching the wind is what the fog does, if the fog is hanging out on the coastline and not moving in  or out it means its gunna be fine for an hour or two.  If its coming close to land it means you better get your @$$ in because somethings pushing in. If its completely sunny stay on guard and expect the wind to pick up around 2 oclock and when it hits, it hits fast. Ive thought about charging people to move camping equipment on weekends with my zodiac, fish all morning and then when it gets windy make some money towing kayaks and crap across the bay.

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
Thanks guys I will see you out there I'll be by Marshall Orange tent  :smt006

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
Day to bring ice and I will be your best freind

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
It was good to see Steph's post on this thread...still praying...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
It was good to see Steph's post on this thread...still praying...

+1...   :smt006
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055