Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:57:41 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: FLY CASTING LESSONS  (Read 2930 times)

jack488

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I also tried the free casting lesson at the park, I loved it but needed to get more advanced help. I asked about lessons and it was unanimous call Bill Ward. Evidently Bill was president of the club for many years. One of the old-timers looked up his phone number for me and I called. I have seen and fished with many good casters but this guy is great! He is also a super certified instructor he was able to correct many of my casting problems in just three lessons. He also taught my wife {she is now a better caster than I am}. If you want casting lessons Bill Ward is you guy!

I am glad I foun this site as I am planning to purchase a Kayak, not sure yet about what to buy but this site has lots of info.

surfingmarmot

Welcome. I am biased, but whenever I can I prefer fly fishing because there is little between you and the fish--no weights, no treble hooks or bulky lures or rigs--just a bit feathers and mylar. I find fish give it their all and I like to enjoy it to the fullest. To me it is kind of like bow hunting instead of using a rifle: if all you seek is the body count then it isn't for you--but if you enjoy the journey as much as the destination, you might like it more than conventional rigging. I have my preference but I use all methods from time to time--there is no right or wrong. We are all fishers and we all kayak.

Find a fly casting club near you and they can help with the mechanics of fly casting but be aware that they are likely not to be able to help with fly casting from a kayak--we are a small but growing community.

There are lots of particular things you can do to make a kayak more "fly fishable". Personally, I fly fish where I can and use conventional gear the rest of the time. You can rig a kayak so both are easy--in fact I can take both sets of tackle with me when I fish.

cormandad

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
RE: Surfing Marmot,
Are you a member or know of a fly/yak fishing club or group? I'd really like to connect with same.
Appreciate any information.
Txs

surfingmarmot

In the South Bay there is San Jose Flycasters: www.flycasters.org

Try a google for flyfishing clubs if you live elsewhere. I know there is one on the Peninsula, one in SF, and I think one in the East Bay or Livermore. There is a club in Merced and one in Santa Cruz as well.

futhel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
if all you seek is the body count then it isn't for you
i dont know about that if you are good at flyfishing then you will outfish spinncasters almost evrey day (unless going for fish extremely deep) i think that fly fishing is more of an art and takes LOADS of practice :clock: but it is sooo worth it because it is just more fun and a WAY better fight, I try to fly fish whenever i can over traditional fishing.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:19:02 PM by futhel »
Everybody should have the opportunity to fish

surfingmarmot

True enough if the fish are in the right depths in the water column--less of a problem in freshwater (usually) but can be problematic in the ocean. I never could have got that #7 Vermillion in my picture on a fly rod--70+ feet of water off Bean Hollow. But I took second-place out of a dozen or so in a MBF tourney at the O'Neill Forebay a few years back and I was the only fly fisher in the tourney. 7wt rod with a T-14 shooting head and my "go-to" olive-while flashabou Clouser minnow. But a guy fishing bait beat me ;-(

Big Matt

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I also tried the free casting lesson at the park, I loved it but needed to get more advanced help. I asked about lessons and it was unanimous call Bill Ward. Evidently Bill was president of the club for many years. One of the old-timers looked up his phone number for me and I called. I have seen and fished with many good casters but this guy is great! He is also a super certified instructor he was able to correct many of my casting problems in just three lessons. He also taught my wife {she is now a better caster than I am}. If you want casting lessons Bill Ward is you guy!

I am glad I foun this site as I am planning to purchase a Kayak, not sure yet about what to buy but this site has lots of info.

Welcome to the group!

Your post helps me out, I am thinking about going to the GG park casting deal to get some basics down, this is one thing I don't want to only be self taught on.

Is Bill Ward still offering lessons or is it a refferal type thing?  If he is, can you share his contact information?  Thanks.

By the way, you will find lots of friendly people here to help you decide what kayak will be best for you.  A great person to talk to would be Mooch-look him up.
Cobra Marauder     NCKA Storm Trooper for a day (without sleeves)

anything