Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Garage Storage How-To  (Read 149250 times)

Jeffrm20

• =)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Bump for a good idea  :smt006

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Wow, this thread is 3 years old?  It feels like it was posted just last week.

Someday I hope to have a garage and be able to hang my kayaks from the ceiling.  Right now they are hung on the wall in slings.

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Here is my set-up. I have a few yaks, but it does have dual purpose.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
I should have taken better pics, but I think you can see it. I the back ground is my PVC rod holder. It holds 30 rod n reels and has been one of the best things ever; as far as keeping rods safe and out of the way.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I use a very similar setup but I have the ratcheting devices at one end of the straps and just ratchet the yak off of the roof racks on my Outback.  Door clearance looked like it was going to be a problem but it clears the door by about 1/16".  I have to loosen the bow strap before entering the garage or the back of the yak will hit the door.  I have a safety flag mount that sticks up about 1/2" above the highest point of the deck of the yak and it will only clear the door with the bow strap loosened.  If theres a place to rinse the yak after fishing, I always take advantage of it so I can move the yak from car to garage without lifting a thing. 

bwodun

nice setup snapperhead, love the pvc rod racks, oh and the quiver of rod and reels filling it, cameron

J.P

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
awesome stuffs :smt001
Thanks
Jp

kkenn

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but wanted to get the forums take on this....

Would there be any value to wrapping a pool noodle around the strap to provide more padding and surface area where the strap cradles the yak?
- Kyle K

billyk

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Me and momma put this together today with out a fight.that is big around this house.she is a scrapper but we gave each other a big high five and a hug and kiss after 24 years of marriage that is big too.

Bungle

• Salmon
  • I have no idea what I'm doing
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Would there be any value to wrapping a pool noodle around the strap to provide more padding and surface area where the strap cradles the yak?

My initial guess would be that any value added would be minimal, if any.  Would definitely require more clearance between bottom of yak and garage door.

I'd stick with straps alone if I ever went this route.

bpowa

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
I should have taken better pics, but I think you can see it. I the back ground is my PVC rod holder. It holds 30 rod n reels and has been one of the best things ever; as far as keeping rods safe and out of the way.

Fawk.. I have 4 rods and reels. I though I had too many.  And its a pain to store them.. Leaned against a corner of a room.  Sucks because I noticed minor scratches on 2 fairly new reels.  Great Idea. This means I need to buy at lease 8 more sets to make it worth building this rack. :smt003

kkenn

• Salmon
  • View Profile

My initial guess would be that any value added would be minimal, if any.  Would definitely require more clearance between bottom of yak and garage door.

Thanks for your feedback.  Yeah, I did take the extra clearance into account... my garage happens to have a very high clearance, so that wouldn't be an issue. 

I might be rethinking this method all together.. just brought home a used Trident 13 that I bought from Ravensblack... getting it up into the straps seems like a 2 person operation!
- Kyle K

phishphood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012

Thanks for your feedback.  Yeah, I did take the extra clearance into account... my garage happens to have a very high clearance, so that wouldn't be an issue. 

I might be rethinking this method all together.. just brought home a used Trident 13 that I bought from Ravensblack... getting it up into the straps seems like a 2 person operation!

Just get longer straps so it'll reach the garage floor, and ratchet with both hands simultaneously.
--Mitch, the perpetual newbie

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
With ratchet straps, you have to pull the tail end till it's close to snug before you start ratcheting, so this can be a little tough single handed.  Harken makes a system that I used in an apartment in Fresno to hold small boats/kayaks up to the rafters and was 1 handed pulling all the straps at one.  Downside is it was $$$  :smt012

kkenn

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah, for now I have 2 10' CAM Straps.  I guess I have to go longer, or get stronger!
- Kyle K