Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:46:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:24 AM]

[Today at 08:08:08 AM]

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fishing out of Bodega Bay  (Read 6449 times)

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Looking to "get my feet wet" in the salt water here on the West coast.  I've been fishing from a Hobie Pro Angler for the last two years and don't have another boat at this time.  I'd love to be able to get out and chase lings and rockfish but don't have any interest in surf launching my PA.  The idea of turtling a boat this size is just not pleasant.  Is it possible to get out somewhere in the Bodega Bay area where a suf launch wouldn't be required?

What kind of distance would be required to find rockfish and ling?  I believe I've got all the tackle required, and I know I have all the appropriate safety gear.  I will have to pick up a wetsuit or dry suit before I make a go at it though. 

I'm looking to buy another boat this spring.  I was looking at getting a second Pro Angler but if I take a liking to the salt here I may get a Hobie Outback instead just bc I believe it would be easier to surf launch it.  I keep seeing all the pics of rockfish and hearing of delicious fish tacos and would like to get my hands on some too!!

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
If you can get your boat to the water, Stillwater Cove N, has a really protected launch, it's about 100yds from parking to water mostly flat except for a set of large stone steps that drops from the walkway down to beach level. 

Gerstle Cove inside Salt Pt St park is also really protected but it would be a real job getting a PA from the parking spot to the water even though is probably less than a 100 ft. 

Lots of launching happens at both spots.

Then there's Timber Cove,  park on the beach to launch, very protected but still some humpy breaks on the beach some times,

I can go upside down in 18" surf so I know these places.

All the above places puts you right in rockfish areas.

Then there's Doran park just south of BB, again, a beach launch and very protected, but rockfishing would be very limited. I've heard some people say you can find some rockfish along the jetty walls.

9erfan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
1st place 2011 Red Barn Classic
2019 Hobie Outback

Spike

2 days at Doran targeting rockfish should put you an hour up the line to FR,TC, OC pretty fast.  Many of the coastal launches mentioned are flat launches most of the time.

If I can make some suggestions:

You need to fish man!!!!!  Consider shedding what you think you know what you need to get started and run 5 or 6 quick sessions.  Boat, paddle PFD, rod, bait and tackle and a phone, whistle and radio.  File a float plan, you can do that reliably at my favorite spot on the Sonoma Coast, Ocean Cove (Store). 

People launch much less suitable models through the surf, regularly.  Not ruining and losing your gear (and not getting hit by your boat in the surf) is key to the road to successful kayak fishing.  It ain't cheap but neither was your boat so dress for the worst possible conditions.  A wetsuit with good booties is the most cost effective. I'd suggest taking your kayak out to some moderate surf, without fishing gear, for a day and practice launching, landing and figuring out it's limits.

Read these boards until you're done.  They explain the fisheries and you'll fast find the most productive spots.  You can land rockfish out of Doran but the times are different with closure area and less fish than there used to be.  Find the historical spots, sonar will help, and fish the tides and moon as your schedule permits.  Otherwise, take any opportunity to get out. 

Again, you'll do better just up the line choosing your days from Carmet to the river.  Every Bodega Bay fisherman I know says the solid rockfishing starts around the Fort Ross area and always has.
Good Luck and Whack `em!

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
SuperVato:  Got your message and sounds great.  Saturdays are probably best for me right now as well.  I'll let you know once I figure out the "clothing" I'm going to need.  Trying to decide between a 3mm Farmer John wetsuit with booties or if I'm just going to drop the coin on a Kokatat Tempest paddling pant/top combo.   I guess I need to get down to Clavey's and try on the Kokatat stuff and see how I like it. 

Really interested in getting some fish before the weather turns cold though so I need to get on this ASAP!!!

SuperVato

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
ASAP could be a pair of flip flops and a used FJ.  :smt002  It is a hard balance to strike with gear budget/time/good stuff. It looks like you are doing your homework. Feel free to call me at home.fish weekend after next? Let's take it to Personal Messages and set it in motion.
-Amos
“All men are equal before fish.”
― Herbert  Hoover    

Spike

Good job Amos.  Let me know if you need any loaner gear, Michelle will be in Windsor this week and can drop it off or you can come by Occidental.

Ring King, 3 mil suits are for warmer waters.  Good booties are just as important.  I'd look for 4-5 mil suit.  You'll probably peel it down to the waist most days and stay dry from the waist up.  Don't be in a rush to buy spendy gear.  Growing into what you need with some experience will prove to make your expenditures the best call.

Sorry if my advice seems snippy, I've relayed this same advice to thousands of anglers over the years.

Good Luck!

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks Spike.  I appreciate all the advice I can get.  I've got tons of experience bass fishing and inshore saltwater on the East coast but this cold West coast ocean stuff is very new and different for me!  Ill get on the hunt for the wetsuit immediately and see what I can find.  Being 6'4" and 250lbs might make it a little tough to find used gear but ill keep an eye out. 

Is there a time of year when the bottom fishing closes or when the fishing gets to a point where its not worth it anymore?

PescaDONo

• Salmon
  • View Profile Timber Cove 3 day weather forecast - trihourly
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
I just got a farmer John from pinnacles, Santa Rosa for under $90. New.

I'll be fishing TC in the coming months. Fall makes for some great fishing weather on the Sonoma Coast. Hope to see you up there.

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
 ~Roderick Haig-Brown, about modern fishing, A River Never Sleeps, 1946

Link to Timber Cove 3 day, tri-hourly weather
Lawson's Landing Fishing Report- Tomales Bay

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Sounds like you may need to brush up on the regs.  This is a summary.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/bfregs2013.asp

Spike

Thanks Ring King.  Glad to see you're in Petaluma, I look forward to hooking-up OTW.

Dressing for comfort is key and I think you'll be a lot warmer than anticipated.  Most days on the coast turn out balmy for me and summer days can be as snotty as winter. The overall fishing conditions this season have been fabulous.  I keep one dedicated dry bag so I can access T shirts/sweatshirt/hats and glasses to paddle jacket and all the layers easily.

I grew up on the so cal coast where the season went from 12 months to half that and less.  With a weak bite from overfishing, pollution, development to some degree and the natural cycles, it was often a tough pursuit on the halibut and pelagics without a clear bite.  Until we fished the kayaks.  My whole point is that up here with only a 7 month rockfish season, sturgeon, stripers and halibut can fill the void regionally but the dungeness crab keep me on the water year `round. 

Rockfish opens in Spring and closes at the end of December.

Goat Rocker

• Salmon
  • View Profile Goat Rock Ukulele
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
you could go out of Bodega but I think you would be happier  launching at Ocean or Timber Cove or if you are a cheapskate like me and have wheels Stillwater Cove. If you want to just get your systems in order and maybe catch a halibut Tomales Bay is a very good easy place to get your feet wet.
Give A Man A Fish And Feed Him For A Day. Teach A Man To Fish And He Will Tell All His Buddies And Fish Out All Your Secret Spots.

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I have wheels, but with a Pro Angler you don't want to go too far even when using the wheels!  I made a trek through the woods for 2 miles with my 10 year old son to fish a hidden lake one time.  The fishing turned out to be well worth the effort, but the Hobie "Heavy Duty" cart gave out on me about 70yds before we made it back to the truck.  Apparently the wheel carts are fine for flat ground and you can even man handle it through sand.  However, big rocks, well exposed roots, etc can cause catastrophic failure of the cart due to unequal torque on one wheel or the other.  The tack welds just don't hold up to that kind of use.

I have a feeling that I'm going to need a different yak to fish the majority of the launches along the California coast.  The perfect situation for my rig would be a boat launch or a hard packed beach that I can drive onto.  Of course with a 2 wheel drive SUV that opens another problem!

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Timber Cove is what you are looking for.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

anything