Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:46:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crab bait - Rockfish carcass  (Read 1263 times)

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
So, I read an article on SFGate.com about the crab opener, and Tom states in the article that rockfish carcass attracts rock crabs... Is this true?

Traditionally, I use squid and catfood, but this year i saved a bunch of RF and ling carcasses, as well as fish guts.

So what's the scoop on rockfish carcass attracting rock crabs?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I used RF carcass last year and it produced dungie. If you are getting rock crab you have to move.

I was looking forward to crabbing this weekend but the rain and wind is looking rough. The swell however doesn't look too bad at HMB. Sunday looks be the good day.

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I’ve been crabbing for many many moons. My dad used to take me since I was about 6 or 7 years old. (Wow, that’s over 30 years)
Anyhow, we’d stop at a local butcher shop in SF and my dad would buy chicken backs/spine for $.18/lb. If that wasn’t available we’d get the next cheapest things...squid, salmon heads. Over the years I’d see many different methods used to take crab. The strangest thing I saw was a glowstick and an unopened back of oscar meyer cotto salami with holes poked in the package. And I remember seeing a bunch of rock and dungeness crab in the trap.

With all that said, I don’t think it matters. To avoid rock crab and target more dungeness would mean to get away from the shallows and get into deeper, sandier and colder water. Not sure what overall facts that hold but it seems to be my story based on my experience.
Curious to hear what others have to say..

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Rockfish and lingcod carcass for crabbing is completely and totally standard. 
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I was told not to put the heads of rock fish in the traps as they are predators to the crabs.  So I tried a Cabezon head and got zero crabs so there might be some truth to it. 

Now I just grind up fish minus the head and tail as those get stuck in the grinder anyways.  Makes for an oily slick which seems to attract them quicker.  I usually donÂ’t leave pots overnight as this works best for shorter soaks. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

TW

• Sea Lion
  • daleshark
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I was told not to put the heads of rock fish in the traps as they are predators to the crabs.  So I tried a Cabezon head and got zero crabs so there might be some truth to it. 

Now I just grind up fish minus the head and tail as those get stuck in the grinder anyways.  Makes for an oily slick which seems to attract them quicker.  I usually donÂ’t leave pots overnight as this works best for shorter soaks.

I agree .
Using the grind method or chopping up as small as possible then using some procure, add water and freezing it into popsicles is what use .
NorCal HOW Volunteer

Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
Ocean Kayak T13

2015 Forbay  Fish N Chill Storm Trooper .
2017 Berry Slam Fish N Chill Storm Trooper.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
thx for all the replies. 
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
And to add to that, every PB I’ve ever been on uses RF carcass and heads. And the crabs dont seem to be scared of the head.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
And to add to that, every PB IÂ’ve ever been on uses RF carcass and heads. And the crabs dont seem to be scared of the head.
Probably true.  But the heads work great in my garden so there is enough to go around. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Otter

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Rockfish/lingcod carcasses are the best bait you can get. Toss a couple in each trap so the have something to chew on. The active feeding crabs will help your traps fish faster.

Bottom substrate will have much more to do with which species you catch.

-Eliot

ryang85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016

Anything but cabs work,
tuna heads work best but ling caracasses and rockfish get the job done.

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Rockfish/lingcod carcasses are the best bait you can get. Toss a couple in each trap so the have something to chew on. The active feeding crabs will help your traps fish faster.

Bottom substrate will have much more to do with which species you catch.

-Eliot
It's true!

Missed out on rockfish this year so I'm going to be using some leftover herring from 2015 until I can restock RF carcasses. Getting the freezer to keep bait and such in the garage is really paying off.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:53:12 PM by Tsuri »
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Getting the freezer to keep bait and such in the garage is really paying off.

I think I am going to go this route. My wife is very happy with all the halibut and lingcod in our freezer. The fish heads, racks, guts, and bait, not so much. I'll never accumulate the WAF for a Hobie at this rate.

PortageeYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Crabs are scavengers and rock fish carcasses are money. I have been crabbing my whole life and we always keep our carcasses after we fillet our rock fish. I also use Macrel too if I don't have rock fish leftovers. Weather doesn't look too good for the opener so looks like I'll be taking a few days off next week.

Thanks,
PY
Where there is a Portagee there is fish!!!

Brandi

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
I will be delving into the depths of my freezer this afternoon to see what my bait options are.  Suspect I will find a few RF carcasses and several packaged CC herring from several years ago (thanks again Rob Bray!).  FYI - the commercial guys sometimes use squid in addition to fish carcasses.
Gimme Shelter Gyotaku Extravaganza! Coordinator