Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Your Weekly Safety Reminder  (Read 4617 times)

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
glad you are safe! Even in my management meeting this morning the boss asked if I heard about a couple of kayak needing rescue!

I always carry a pump in the kayak. I can't believe the other kayaker didn't stop and assist you!! Did you tell them that your boat was sinking? and needed help!!

I'm glad the guys I go out with always have each other back. Safety comes first then fishing!!

Hope you get your leak fixed....

I need to check my scupper holes! Even though I use the hobie cart on the outback. I should start using my wheelie but it takes too long to setup lol 

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Sorry to hear about your misadventure Matt.  Happy that you got back OK with a story to tell.  Definitely get rid of that homemade scupper carts, they tend to cause more problems than they solve.  Spend some cash and invest in a good cart.  Sorry I wasn't out and about to show you the ropes that day, I always carry a pump even though my old kayak didn't even have any accessible hatches.

As for the repair, it is doable, but a tough one to accomplish without putting the kayak at risk in the future.  I'd contact a good kayak shop to see what they recommend.

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Here is one option for repair...Sean is a legend and a great guy:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=74040.0

http://www.riverandocean.com/kayak-sup-repairs/

Have you ding’ed your board, broken your boat or is your skeg not working (again)?

No matter how big or small the issue, let me fix it for you! If I cannot fix it, then I likely know who can.

Just send me some photos of the damage or whatever needs fixing and I will give you a free quote and estimate how long it will take to get you back on the water.

Competitive rates. Cash, check or secure payment through PayPal (yes, I accept credit cards!)

Email: seanamorley@gmail.com

Call: 415 816 8746

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

kkenn

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Thanks for sharing your story MF.  I ended up missing the opener with nasty stomach virus of some sort - wish I could have been there with my bilge pump to help you out as I was planning to meet you guys at Stillwater!  Won't ever leave it at home after reading your experience - glad you made back safe and sound.
- Kyle K

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Thanks for sharing your story MF.  I ended up missing the opener with nasty stomach virus of some sort - wish I could have been there with my bilge pump to help you out as I was planning to meet you guys at Stillwater!  Won't ever leave it at home after reading your experience - glad you made back safe and sound.

haha too bad. I have one now though! Luckily, the guy at Ocean Kayak didn't sound like it would be a super hard fix or anything. He told me to just get a blow torch, heat up the plastic welding rod he is sending me, put it in and around the hole and use a hot flat head screw driver to pack it in and smooth it out. He is sending lots of plastic and rod for free so I can practice and to also build up the area. You guys had me freaked out about the fix, but he said it aint no thing.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Good to read you are all right and only out a few things.
you did all the right moves,,,,,,except for the scupper cart. It's been done here so manyO'times and the main reason Wheelez carts are #1 around here.

the pvc tube in the scupper sounds like the only good fix (no more scupper carts after that though)

Fix It tip*****
 i have repaired holes in my OK. the FLEXABLE Marine Epoxy has adhered very well. I scuffed/scored up the area with a utility knife, like when you patch a rubber tire. It has been on for over 6 years of heavy ocean use. Dragged on/over rocks, but still solidly stuck on. 
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
He told me to just get a blow torch, heat up the plastic welding rod he is sending me, put it in and around the hole and use a hot flat head screw driver to pack it in and smooth it out. He is sending lots of plastic and rod for free so I can practice and to also build up the area. You guys had me freaked out about the fix, but he said it aint no thing.

A blowtorch is overkill I wouldn't do that.  SLow and steady with a heat gun.

I suggest practicing your plastic welding before you tackle the scupper hole.  If you screw it up you could make a bigger problem for yourself than you already have.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You guys had me freaked out about the fix, but he said it aint no thing.

Be sure to post a video of your repair.

:happy1:

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
You guys had me freaked out about the fix, but he said it aint no thing.

Be sure to post a video of your repair.

:happy1:

I'm suspicious now lol. Hopefully it doesn't go like this  :violent5:
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
getting heat down a scupper hole, w/o melting the surrounding area, might be a challenge.

like said, you might want to practice at it first.
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Oh I'll practice for sure, but it doesn't look SUPER hard.

Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Oh I'll practice for sure, but it doesn't look SUPER hard.

Go to a store and buy a plastic bottle made of hdpe, #2 plastic. Cut a hole on the side of the bottle, and try to repair it from the inside through the mouth of the bottle. You will get an idea of the difficulty real quick.

Live2Fish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Wow...glad it worked out for you.  I think the pool noodles are the way to go.   Ive got several of the large noodles from Walmart ($5each) stuffed inside the hull.   Also a pump and collapsible paddle stuffed in the hull.  You did good getting yourself rescued.  Blows my mind that you couldnt find a single person on the radio that had a pump to help you out.  Its improtant to be able to help yourself but its also important to be in a situation to help those you're with!  When we paddle out together we got each others back....if your taking chances with your own safety your taking em with mine too!

As far as welding your boat, Ive made a few repairs to one of mine.   Get the right tools and practice on 5 gallon buckets before you go melting a bigger hole in your kayak!

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Kind of reminds me of doing lead work on steel body panels.....
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

anything