Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:13:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:11:37 PM]

[Today at 12:26:39 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 12:09:28 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Going to Alviso Marina tomorrow to practice self rescue  (Read 1463 times)

DIYLureJunky

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
My kayak arrived last week.  It's not a well know brand, called Hoo Doo Tempest 120P.  This is my first kayak, so I have nothing to compare it to.  I have wetsuit, VHF Radio, whistle, and PFD.  Alviso looks like a pretty safe place to practice self rescue.  Any additional advice before I head out tomorrow?

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: DIYLureJunky
My kayak arrived last week.  It's not a well know brand, called Hoo Doo Tempest 120P.  This is my first kayak, so I have nothing to compare it to.  I have wetsuit, VHF Radio, whistle, and PFD.  Alviso looks like a pretty safe place to practice self rescue.  Any additional advice before I head out tomorrow?

Right on.  Go with someone else if you can, and be sure to at least let someone else know what you're planning to do.

Might be muddy in Alviso.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

pigcoke

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
Try practicing inside of HMB harbor.  It is calm and much cleaner water without that nasty smell. 

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Look for a yellow outback, yellow Ocean Venus, and one other to be there around 8AM touring around. Tell them Jason says hi and they can be your standby while you practice self rescue.
They are from SJ also. Good luck if you go to alviso :smt006
-Jason

DIYLureJunky

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Look for a yellow outback, yellow Ocean Venus, and one other to be there around 8AM touring around. Tell them Jason says hi and they can be your standby while you practice self rescue.

Ok then, I'll go to Pillar Point Harbor.  I'll the the guy in the blue kayak.  If someone can keep an eye on me while I practice, it will be great.  I don't have any kayak buddies at the moment. 

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018

Ok then, I'll go to Pillar Point Harbor.  I'll the the guy in the blue kayak.  If someone can keep an eye on me while I practice, it will be great.  I don't have any kayak buddies at the moment.

Sorry I meant my friends will happen to be exploring Alviso, not HMB. I’ll echo others suggestions Alviso is not the best place to practice self rescue but if you see my friends they would gladly be your standby assist! Cheers :smt006
-Jason

DIYLureJunky

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Oh I see.  I think I'll be fine.  I won't venture out of the jar.  Not fishing today, just getting use the the kayak and a lot of re-entry until I get it down.  I'm in the process of making some stabilizer.  I'm not venturing out without it.  Hopefully will meet some of you guys out there some day.  If I do see some of you guys out there, you can help test some unproven lures  :smt044.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I’d recommend not going to Alviso to practice.  Your better off in a lake like setting. HMB would be safer.
Depending on the tides, the current In the Alviso slough is either incoming or outgoing.  Would hate to have you separated from your paddle or kayak. 
Also, the slough is fairly narrow, esp at low tide and it’s too muddy to walk up.
Sturgeon fisherman launch there, run the slough and head out to the bay. 

Once your confident, check out Alviso. Nice launch and free parking.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I’d recommend not going to Alviso to practice.  Your better off in a lake like setting. HMB would be safer.
Depending on the tides, the current In the Alviso slough is either incoming or outgoing.  Would hate to have you separated from your paddle or kayak. 
Also, the slough is fairly narrow, esp at low tide and it’s too muddy to walk up.
Sturgeon fisherman launch there, run the slough and head out to the bay. 

Once your confident, check out Alviso. Nice launch and free parking.

^^^  This ^^^
Go to Calero Reservoir instead.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Alan Matsuno

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Is Cunningham open?.  I used to practice at Cunningham.

Redwood City is closer than PP.

DIYLureJunky

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I ended up going to HMB.  Got there around 9:00AM.  I pedal around for awhile.  It did pretty well against the wind.  It was windy today.  On my way to launch the kayak, I saw another kayaker with fishing gears coming back.  He said too windy.  Anyway, I flip the kayak and unflip.  Do that about 5 times.  I don't have problem flip it back and re-entry.  The kayak is low near the water line so, re-entry was effortless.  After 5 times, I stop and pedal around for another hour.  Overall, I loving my new kayak.

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I ended up going to HMB.  Got there around 9:00AM.  I pedal around for awhile.  It did pretty well against the wind.  It was windy today.  On my way to launch the kayak, I saw another kayaker with fishing gears coming back.  He said too windy.  Anyway, I flip the kayak and unflip.  Do that about 5 times.  I don't have problem flip it back and re-entry.  The kayak is low near the water line so, re-entry was effortless.  After 5 times, I stop and pedal around for another hour.  Overall, I loving my new kayak.

sounds good!  Pilliar Point is an excellent place to practice even on a day like today that was super bad conditions outside the jetty.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

Alan Matsuno

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
There have been salmon caught in kayak range in PP.

DIYLureJunky

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Regarding parking in the parking lot across the kayak rental place, can I park on the spaces that are meant for trailer?  I see so much empty spaces there even during the afternoon.  I parked on the side that are meant for passenger cars, a little further walk to the beach.  I'm not sure if I can park in the trailer parking area.