Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[Today at 11:05:23 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie kayak almost sinking in Pacifica  (Read 3321 times)

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
On Saturday, Sept 12, around 7am, we launched from Rockaway, and saw a man coming back to shore on a yellow Hobie. It’s hard to tell the model as it was an older looking kayak. But it looks like he just launched and was 50 ft from the beach before turning back.
We helped him pull his kayak out of the water. It was a short kayak - at most 11ft, but extremely heavy because it was filled with water. The man opened the round stern hatch and water was pouring out of it. I’ve never seen anything like that in my life.
We inspected the kayak briefly and couldn’t see any issue. The hatches were closed. The drain plug at the back was screwed. So much water has gotten in so fast, he must have had a big crack somewhere.

Anyways, I totally respect the privacy of the individual and it’s ok if they don’t want to share more info. But for the benefit of the community I would encourage them to share with us more details so that we can all be safer.
Thanks
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Good moves - both helping that dude and talking about it here are key to the community.

Get 'em up.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Croker

• Sand Dab
  • I love the smell of seaweed in the morning...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Hey Lolita Eric, that was me.  Thanks for your help.  Turned out that I had a mishap with my beach wheels and it put a gouge in my scupper.  It happed on the return from my last trip.  Because it I was inside the scupper it could not be seen easily.  I only made it a hundred yards from the beach and knew something was wrong.  Good news is my hand bilge works great.  I was close enough that I decided to turn around and head back to the beach.  Took me a while to figure out what had happened.  The gouge is fixed and I’m fishing again.  If you have never tried paddling a kayak full of water, it’s like riding a drunk horse. 
A great reminder to everyone to have a hand bilge and know how to use it.  I had just cleared the breakers and was arranging my gear when I could tell something was wrong.
You can’t have everything, where would you put it?

Croker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Sorry lil orca, I read that wrong and now realize it was you.  Thanks for your help.

Croker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
One last thing.  Remember, a crack or gouge below the water line is actually under pressure.  The water doesn’t trickle in, it sprays.   It’s always a good idea to open the hatches and take a look before heading to open water.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Turned out that I had a mishap with my beach wheels and it put a gouge in my scupper. 

That sounds serious. How did you fix it?
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Sorry lil orca, I read that wrong and now realize it was you.  Thanks for your help.

No worries. I’m glad you’re safe and sound. I’ve seen another YouTube video with the same scupper issue, except they were a few miles offshore when they started noticing the back of the kayak was sinking. Thankfully there were two of them so the second guy hauled the other.

My practice is to never let other people put the cart in your scupper hole because they may insert it incorrectly, which can strain the scupper hole. And also, always lift the kayak more than needed to insert the cart.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Strong work all around. 

Those who use scupper carts should realize to watch for stress and check for damage.

Best of luck.

:smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Croker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I used plastic epoxy on the inside and outside.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I used plastic epoxy on the inside and outside.

Did you get any pics of the damage/repair?

this is a pretty common mishap with scupper hole carts.  Glad you made it in OK and hooray for NCKA bro's helping!

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Hey Lolita Eric, that was me.  Thanks for your help.  Turned out that I had a mishap with my beach wheels and it put a gouge in my scupper.  It happed on the return from my last trip.  Because it I was inside the scupper it could not be seen easily.  I only made it a hundred yards from the beach and knew something was wrong.  Good news is my hand bilge works great.  I was close enough that I decided to turn around and head back to the beach.  Took me a while to figure out what had happened.  The gouge is fixed and I’m fishing again.  If you have never tried paddling a kayak full of water, it’s like riding a drunk horse. 
A great reminder to everyone to have a hand bilge and know how to use it.  I had just cleared the breakers and was arranging my gear when I could tell something was wrong.

this is a common topic in my nightmares.  i am so glad you are okay and are so level headed.

a few questions from a newbie:

the bilge pump.  you were pumping and pedaling at the same time?  if water was gushing, your pump could keep up?  i've never gone thru this drill, thanks for the insight.

and your Hobie.  does your scupper holes have the  black plastic sleeve glued around the perimeter of the scupper hole?  my 2019 Compass does and i am wondering if this is a (Hobie) fix to a common issue.  maybe you could call Hobie and get the plastic tubes and glue them in to (if they are not there) to reinforce your awesome fix.

all in all, well done.

Molen

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020
Thanks all for the discussion and reports.  Big props to the community here for helping each other, both in situ on the water and by tackling these issues here proactively.

Newbie question here, what is commonly used to transport the kayak from vehicle to the water instead of a scupper cart.  I like the idea of not stressing out the scupper holes with a cart, particularly if this is a known weak spot but am not familiar with any alternatives (save dragging the boat, which seems ill advised).

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I use the Wheelezz:

https://wheeleez.com/shop/products/carts/kayak-carts/

Hmmm thats the mini.  I dont see the bigger 11.8 inch beach wheels tires.  The mini's are too small and don't hold heavy kayaks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:06:54 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I use the Wheelezz:

https://wheeleez.com/shop/products/carts/kayak-carts/

Hmmm thats the mini.  I dont see the bigger 11.8 inch beach wheels tires.  The mini's are too small and don't hold heavy kayaks.

I didn’t see any other on the site so I just assumed that was what I have (never measured the wheels).
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler