Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:53:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:47:16 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Caught in a lightning storm offshore in a Kayak - Listen to your gut  (Read 6837 times)

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I was standing next to Otobepelagic one day salmon fishing off Pacifica with lightning storm going. We both felt/heard electricity buzz down tip to butt his graphite rod.  OMG.  I think I have a video somewhere see if I can find it and post....

Good job and thanks for posting"the stupid things we do."  I always operate not 'what t looks like now,' but rather'what it migt be like later.'  sometimes you just don't know thogh.  A good scare can make us better kayak fishermen, all around.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

oysterer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018

for sure-being a fisherman means many last minute decisions however

plan B wasn’t so bad except for watching the lightning storm from the beach for 2 hours then getting caught in a squall

I had a similar experience in Tomales Bay that day. Ended up on the beach for 3 hours watching the storm roll through. Also had the same white clouds blowing in 40+mph winds. Was a crazy day! I will say that there were thunderstorms in the forecast that day-I was aware of the risk before going out but also knew I wouldn't be more than 1/2 mi from shore in Tomales.

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Thanks everyone for the feedback. My aim was to share so that others can make sound decisions before heading out. It was a learning experience for me for sure, and I won't be making the same mistake twice!

More importantly, the Risk Assessment model would have helped talk yourself out of going out that morning.  We would score each of six categories a risk rating from 0 (no risk) to 10 (highest risk).  The sum of those scores would yield a result of Green (low risk, proceed as normal), Amber (high risk, attempt to mitigate risks to increase score) and Red (extreme risk, cancel evolution). 
I really appreciate you insights on this one. That system is super rational and objective, and I think these types of situation need that sort of approach in order to be navigated soundly. Thanks for sharing.

The Party boats and other reports from that day showed pretty knarly conditions and even a sporty on the radio offered to tow any kayakers in.
I bet this was the boat we saw towing someone to shore! I didn't even hear the radio page, probably was a bit distracted haaah

Like everyone, your writing dredged up the fright of being caught in storm.. mine was on mt sir donald. Came from the other side of the peak...hair standing on end, little bolt between our ice axes...rope moving on its own...buzzing of everything...flashback all at once over and over. Simul-climb8ng a thousand feet of rain slicked knife edge, and down climbing a waterfall with bowling balls exploding down it.... My palms still sweat and my stomach is tight just thinking about how close that wss
I've done quite a bit of trad climbing myself, and thankfully never got stuck in the alpine with bad conditions. I'm sure the intensity of running into that on a mountain is equally if not more frighting than OTW.

I was standing next to Otobepelagic one day salmon fishing off Pacifica with lightning storm going. We both felt/heard electricity buzz down tip to butt his graphite rod.  OMG.  I think I have a video somewhere see if I can find it and post....

Good job and thanks for posting"the stupid things we do."  I always operate not 'what t looks like now,' but rather'what it migt be like later.'  sometimes you just don't know thogh.  A good scare can make us better kayak fishermen, all around.
I'd love to see that video. And yes that's the right approach. If we were thinking along those lines (later not now), maybe we would've reached a different decision that day.
@julianmariano

Chacon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
The only time I have ever felt truly helpless to nature was when a 17ft great white sharks swam about 5 feet under my kayak. Poked him with my rod!

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Lightning storm on a kayak, absolute nightmare!!!! Standing on shore watching your friends struggling threw large hail, wind, lightning strike possible any second... worse nightmare. Absolutely love lightning storms from a safe secure location. Glad y'all had a good outcome and got some exercise! :smt077 :smt082 :smt083 :smt084
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Wow. That’s scary! Thanks for sharing! I’m going to read about lightning when at sea. Although I did read once about the most common risks, and hypothermia is way up there, which is why I started wearing my neoprene almost exclusively (and I have a VERY expensive Kokatat drysuit)
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Duckguy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Wow! Excellent report of a serious “choni-check” situation. Meant years ago, at Anchor Bay, a group of us stood on shore and watched dozens of small storm cells come marching ashore, each one blasting first the ocean and then the land with repeated lightning strikes and raindrops the size of marbles. There was clear blue sky between each one. There were over 1,100 lightning caused fires in Mendocino County alone that day, and we were unanimously glad none of us went out.

“Adventure” noun; a disaster you survive
;-D
Warning! Retiree; Knows it all and has plenty of time to tell you about it.

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor G2

splashdown

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
earlier this year I got caught up in a fast moving storm, while out on one of our lakes here in Texas. We saw the squall line coming in, so my fishing partner headed back to his car. Meanwhile I was loading up from the shore and a bolt of lightning hit the lake about 100 yards from me and the sky opened up. I decided to stay where I was at.

Thank goodness for good rain gear and a gortex jacket because I had to ride out the storm on shore and the rain and wind all around me. I was so dry in my outerwear, I leaned up nest to the shrubs and napped while the storm went through. Thank goodness the storm only had a lot of cloud to cloud lightning and not cloud to ground.
"bull riding came about when some redneck stated, "hold my beer and watch this!"

Dallas HOW Chapter Coordinator

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Such a great read, just had to bump it so others could enjoy it as well.  Gave me the chills reading it, and brought to mind several times I've been out there and the conditions changed and I was just happy to make it back in. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

alien

• Sea Lion
  • WSB/MBK 10/01/09 56"--/46 pounds
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Glad all is well. Your words and the picture of your kayak experience that day says it all! Sometimes the fishing fever just takes over and we risk everything!
Thank you for sharing

JMcKroid

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
This is an interesting thread.  Lightning storms can come and go fast in SE Florida.  When the static electricity is heavy, vertical fishing rods start buzzing.   If the rods start buzzing, it's time to secure them horizontally(stops the buzzing), and head for shore.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Thanks for the bump Al!
I'd missed this due to the CZU complex fire evacuation!

A great read and pic.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Man, had to re-read and re-live it myself! What a crazy day. Two and a half years post... this day still stands vividly in my mind, and I'm glad things turned out the way they did in the end. Any sign of thunder and lightning is a hard no for me these days...  :smt002
@julianmariano

Jewli0n

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Some more photos from that day. The storm front, and how beautiful the morning was.
@julianmariano

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
Last year when Surf Perch fishing at Ocean Beach, it was over cast but not storming. After about and hour the bite turned off like switch and it got real dark fast. Didn't think anything about it until lightning struck the water about a mile or so out. Zapped me right through my waders. Turned around and headed for the beach. Before I got there another bolt hit. Don't know how far away it was, but this one Zapped me hard and I went down to my knees. Couldn't move very well. Luckily for me, my son was there and was able to help me stagger to dry land. Super scary. It took about 30 minutes till feeling in my legs returned to normal. No way I'd want to be in a kayak in those conditions.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 02:37:52 PM by Plug-n-Jug »
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

anything