Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Seacliff State Beach 9/27 to 9/30  (Read 1512 times)

rffairchild

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Hi All,  :smt006

Besides my intro, this is my first post in the group and I'm new to ocean kayak fishing. New as in have only been on Tomales Bay one time. I will be camping at Seacliff State Beach Wednesday evening through check out on Saturday. I will be taking my Hobie Outback and hope to catch anything. Will try for rock fish and Lings. If anyone wants to head that way and meet up, I could sure use a good mentor. Any advise is always welcome. I did read the beginners section and I do have a wetsuit, marine radio, pump, whistle, etc., so I think I have the right safety gear.

I though of heading to HMB one day to try for Salmon, but would prefer to join up with others, as I have no idea what I would be doing.

On a side note, the camping area is wide open to lots of foot traffic. How do y'all secure your kayaks at night to keep someone from stealing them?

Cheers,
Bob

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
be careful launching from Seacliff or new brighton beach.  Better launch is just up the coast at Captiola wharf.  For fishing rockfish and lings, you need to head up to captiola anyway.  No reef structure (except the one secret reef near cement ship.  Even I don't know where it is.)  paddle past NBrighton to the kelp line follow that line to the outside point near Capitola Wharf.  Reefs right there, and more reefs straight out from wharf in 50-70 FOW as well as a bit further west 40-80 FOW.

If you launch from the wharf, the beach side on the right hand side is best.  Wharf may still have their floating dock out in which case you can wheeleze your boat out and launch effortlessly from their floating dock.  for Free.  Also the guys at Boat and Bait store will share honestly with you where to go and what to use.

Good luck have safe and be fun.

Bushy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:30:10 PM by Bushy »

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
My first kayak launch was at seacliff......that shore dump ended my idylic vision of surfing my yak in like a hawaiin outrigger lol. 

Check with the lifeguards/park rangers, they may not even let you launch or land if the beach is crowded.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

rffairchild

• Sardine
  • View Profile
be careful launching from Seacliff or new brighton beach.  Better launch is just up the coast at Captiola wharf.  For fishing rockfish and lings, you need to head up to captiola anyway.  No reef structure (except the one secret reef near cement ship.  Even I don't know where it is.)  paddle past NBrighton to the kelp line follow that line to the outside point near captiola shard.  Reefs right there, and more reefs straight out from wharf in 50-70 FOW as well as a bit further west 40-80 FOW.

Good luck have safe and be fun.

Bushy

Bushy, thanks for the information. I will look at the map and head to Capitola. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rffairchild

• Sardine
  • View Profile
My first kayak launch was at seacliff......that shore dump ended my idylic vision of surfing my yak in like a hawaiin outrigger lol. 

Check with the lifeguards/park rangers, they may not even let you launch or land if the beach is crowded.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Ex-Kayaker, thanks for the information. I never would have thought to ask the lifeguards about permission to launch.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
You can see the reefs in the Santa Cruz area quite well in Google Maps satellite view if you zoom in.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
...No reef structure (except the one secret reef near cement ship.  Even I don't know where it is.)  ...

Bushy

Then I'm sure the fish can't find it either.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

rffairchild

• Sardine
  • View Profile
You can see the reefs in the Santa Cruz area quite well in Google Maps satellite view if you zoom in.

FeoPronk that is one awesome tip. Thanks!!

rffairchild

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Hey y’all, I just wanted to follow up on my trip. I did get to launch from the beach at Seacliff. Swells were only about 1.5 feet, so for a first time launch it was a piece of cake. I caught several smelt, but nothing else. Billions of anchovies everywhere and the fish finder indicates fish all around the perimeter of the bait balls, but all I ever saw was smelt and porpoise. My wife saw a shark about 4 feet long launch itself out of the water like it thought it was a whale. In all, great fun.

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Thanks for the Report

Seems like it smelt like a good time!

:smt005
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

rffairchild

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thanks for the Report

Seems like it smelt like a good time!

:smt005

Hardy har har ;-)