Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Getting this off my chest! Kayakers vs. Boaters  (Read 8388 times)

drvoolittle

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
C'mon, haven't you guys ever seen a guy driving a piece of shit car with a super hot girl in the passenger seat? I'm sure that's how guys in PB's feel when they see a kayaker with something nice on the clip. "I spent all this money on a BMW and she's with the dude who's rollin a Geo."

:smt044 So now I'm going to make a homemade raft and fish with Walmart gear from now on..
Vu

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I like this  :smt023

Get Your Boating License - Avoid The $250 Fine
All operators of recreational powerboats in Canada now require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card*, commonly known as a Canadian Boating License. Boaters caught without an Operator Card* risk a minimum $250.00 fine. Obtaining an Operator Card is also the best way to gain the knowledge you need to boat with confidence!

An Operator Card is required for all ages, boat sizes and waterways in Canada when operating a motorized vessel. If you operate a powered recreational boat you need an Operator Card* - It's the law.

Once obtained, the official BOATsmart!® Operator Card is good for life. Lost your boating license? Damaged card that needs replacement? Obtain a replacement boat license from BOATsmart!®.

[/b]

http://www.boatsmartexam.com/en/

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Ghey.....I've posed this question to you before.  If licensing was the answer, then why are there still in car accidents and ahole drivers in automobiles?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Ghey.....I've posed this question to you before.  If licensing was the answer, then why are there still in car accidents and ahole drivers in automobiles?

how can u even compare car drivers to boaters? Isn't there more car drivers then boat operators......please correct me if I'm wrong. And do realize that this is my opinion on the subject. I think your panties are too tight.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
How can you not compare the two.....motorized vehicles, operating licenses, perfectly valid comparison. 

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
However one often has a cooler full of beer present, a 14 yr old at the wheel, no brakes, turn signals, and no real ability to turn unless you are under power oh and water has no and no lanes, lights or signs.

Maybe not a license per say but at least a "hey dummy this isnt a car" class
-Eric Berg

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
As long as there are people at the when, there will be ahole drivers.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
However one often has a cooler full of beer present, a 14 yr old at the wheel, no brakes, turn signals, and no real ability to turn unless you are under power oh and water has no and no lanes, lights or signs.

:smt023

IMO - I still say license them all (Boat and PWC or anything that has engine on it)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Generalizations.  Thats like saying kayakers are aloof, hang out in boat channels getting in the way and cost taxpayers way too much in coastguard rescues cause thats how the rental kooks get down.

The fact that there isn't turning signals, lanes, brakes and signs is all the more reason to not start overcomplicating everything by regulating it.  The otw accident rate is pretty low, and I'd venture to say that the same people that are involved in those incidents are licensed to drive and equally stupid behind the wheel of a car....despite being licensed.   

moochie boy is just a boat hating prohibitionist who wants to regulate the hell out of everyone else cause they have a differrent perspective than him.

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
moochie boy is just a boat hating prohibitionist who wants to regulate the hell out of everyone else cause they have a differrent perspective than him.

call it what you want but I totally agree to disagree about your assumptions. And I still stand and believe in my opinion.

Agarcia is just an ex-kayaker that believes that boaters should be exempt from laws that promote safety in the water ways. oh well, to each his own. 

novofish

• Wear your PFD - every time OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
LOL Ashley, Olivia and I almost got run over by some of my Asian cousin's operating a rental pontoon boat at SPDR.
They were pleasure cruising really close to shore, and it looked like dad was letting mommy drive.
She smiled as we yelled at her, finally the guy had to yank the wheel, as she had no idea WTF she was doing.
Maybe a little instruction/direction wouldn't hurt, at least at the rental docks. :smt001
AOTY 2011 - 9th
AOTY 2012 - 16th
AOTY 2013 - 6th
FAOTY 2014 - 4th
AOTY 2015 - 5th
AOTY 2016 - 56th
AOTY 2017 - 37th

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I will let you and Moochie duke that one out  :smt008

I have seen a few ppl in boats that when I handed them the reins they looked surprised when I said....you know boats don't have brakes AND you need to be under power to turn effectively.

I also have also been buzzed (within 5 ft) by a 13 yr old on a jet ski while I wake boarding.

Art, sure the actual #'s may be low...but %'s of personal AND property damage may be higher.

I get actual licensing may not solve the issue. But what about a safety or common sense boating class? Why do we have hunter or handgun safety classes? Ever see some of the idiots that buy/use guns? If a class imparts one ounce of common sense I say its worth it.

Perhaps the better approach is to reward someone for taking a class on safety/boat use, etc (lower insurance rates) vs forcing ppl to take the class.

I'd venture to say that the same people that are involved in those incidents are licensed to drive and equally stupid behind the wheel of a car....despite being licensed.

I actually think your comment above is exactly the issue...A boat ISN'T a car and people should know the difference.

Cars have become synonymous with the American culture. We grow up with them in all forms (amusement park rides, RC car, you name it). But things like motorcycles, planes and boats are not as common. Two of the three above require some degree of "extra" training and/or testing. Why not a min amount for a boat?

As a PB'er I get the NO WAY. But as a yak'r I think some extra "PB knowledge" may not be a bad thing.

-Eric Berg

ken jan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I like this  :smt023

Get Your Boating License - Avoid The $250 Fine
All operators of recreational powerboats in Canada now require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card*, commonly known as a Canadian Boating License. Boaters caught without an Operator Card* risk a minimum $250.00 fine. Obtaining an Operator Card is also the best way to gain the knowledge you need to boat with confidence!

An Operator Card is required for all ages, boat sizes and waterways in Canada when operating a motorized vessel. If you operate a powered recreational boat you need an Operator Card* - It's the law.

Once obtained, the official BOATsmart!® Operator Card is good for life. Lost your boating license? Damaged card that needs replacement? Obtain a replacement boat license from BOATsmart!®.

[/b]

http://www.boatsmartexam.com/en/

We all had to go to class and pass a test here in NJ.  I can't believe that in Cali anyone can drive???

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:12:01 PM by ken jan »

Kayote

• Sea Lion
  • Monkey Faced Sarcastic Fringehead
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Why is Mooch shown as a guest?.
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains, where the spirits go...........

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

anything