Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: barbs?  (Read 2285 times)

ngt

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
what are the rules on barbs and fishing in general in Cali? Where can't I have them?  Buddy said I need to pinch the barbs on my flies for steelhead. Is that it? true? anywhere else?

thanks!

bwodun

every watershed is different, everytime of year is different, you just need to read the regs for the water you are planning on fishing

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
I always pinch the barb while flyfishing. Unlike other types of casting, the fly is passing by you over and over. Mix in some wind/tight conditions/errant cast/etc., and s##t happens. Wear glasses too. I've removed hooks from myself and others, no big deal if barbless.
Besides, it'll make you a better angler.
Jim
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!

Rockroach

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Generally for trout, if the stream is stocked you don't need to pinch your barbs but if it's a wild C&R stream typically you can't use bait (artificial only) and your barbs need to be pinched.  (GENERALLY SPEAKING)

Do yourself a favor and always check your regs and do a little research before wetting a line on a new stream. Its what I do

During steelhead season, I always pinch my barbs(swinging flies or throwing artificial) no matter what stream I'm fishing. Steelhead r special!  :smt007 :smt003
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 08:42:18 AM by Rockroach »
~MarcosM~

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Personally all my flies are barbless since I catch and release only "not a big fan of freshwater fish".  But you need to check the regs on most moving waters, it changes during the year when you can and can not have barbs.  On the American they usually post it at the entry booth. 
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I even pinch my barbs on my rockfish swimbaits. I can't say I've noticed a difference in landing thus far. It's a lot easier releasing that's for sure.
For my own sake it's a lot safer too.
<=>

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I always pinch the barb while flyfishing. Unlike other types of casting, the fly is passing by you over and over. Mix in some wind/tight conditions/errant cast/etc., and s##t happens. Wear glasses too. I've removed hooks from myself and others, no big deal if barbless.
Besides, it'll make you a better angler.
Jim

Couldn't agree more,...coming from a guy who learned the hard way.  Got one in the nose, barb n all.  Cut the line, hiked back to the truck and performed a little surgery with the vanity mirror.  Wasn't wearing glasses at the time and it coulda been worse.  No barbs for me thanks! :)
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

fishforit

• Salmon
  • Life"s short! Go for it!
  • View Profile Freelance Writer/Retired/Tutor
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
It's true, barbless for steelhead. I , well almost always debarb my flies when tying. Busted 11 years ago while salmon fishing out of Ft. Bragg...so I'm careful.
I don't know of anywhere in Ca. that you can fish for steelies with barbed hook? If in doubt check with a local sports shop..or bait shop, they should know.
Headwaters Adventure Co.
Hobie Fishing Team
Hobie Outback

Mr.Matt

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
The American River has big sections you can fish with barbs for steelies. But if u fish in the barbless with one have your check book handy. Gonna be a fat fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt

anything