Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GoPro Hero4 or something else?  (Read 1980 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
Buy an old 3+. Should be $100-$150 and is PLENTY of camera. Not many people even have the computers to view or edit 4K + videos anyway.

I do a lot of film and editing, and the only thing in the last few years I’m upgrading to is a GoPro fusion.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Buy an old 3+. Should be $100-$150 and is PLENTY of camera. Not many people even have the computers to view or edit 4K + videos anyway.

I do a lot of film and editing, and the only thing in the last few years I’m upgrading to is a GoPro fusion.

Very very good point on 4K.  Don't buy it because of 4K feature.  The 4K should only be a consideration when mainstream media is streaming 4K content.  1080P is more than plenty, even a 720P still work wonderfully.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

• View Profile
Got a Hero 3 Black I’m about to put up on Craigslist to help fund the Fusion. No sense in having 3 GoPros, especially if one is 360. I can’t wait to get some wingsuiting shots with this angels view stuff. Incredible

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Got a Hero 3 Black IÂ’m about to put up on Craigslist to help fund the Fusion. No sense in having 3 GoPros, especially if one is 360. I canÂ’t wait to get some wingsuiting shots with this angels view stuff. Incredible
How much were you asking for it?  I am currently go pro free and have been missing some good photo opportunities. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

• View Profile
I was going to put it up for $120 on CL. $100 to anyone here.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

Agree.  If I bought a 2nd action cam to add to my 3+, it'd be another 3+ or the Yi4K.  If IS (image stabilization ) is important to the buyer, then upgrade to the 4 or whichever model started including IS.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

For that price, I assume you mean used, as it looks like even refurbished 3+'s go for more than $200.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

• View Profile

For that price, I assume you mean used, as it looks like even refurbished 3+'s go for more than $200.

Yeah used. That’s what refurbished is... although I’m not sure what they do to it. The camera is blank and holds no software. That’s all on the SD card. Craigslist them, there’s nothing wrong with used as long as it still turns on and films. I’m not sure you can buy such an old model new anymore.

OVillanueva

• Salmon
  • Live to serve.
  • View Profile Pacific Coast Hunterz
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I role with a Sony. Check out the Sony FDR x3000.

Stone85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016

Yeah used. That’s what refurbished is... although I’m not sure what they do to it. The camera is blank and holds no software. That’s all on the SD card. Craigslist them, there’s nothing wrong with used as long as it still turns on and films. I’m not sure you can buy such an old model new anymore.
the only thing different between just being used and being  refurbished GoPro makes it like  new again quality and comes with GoPros standard 1 year warranty.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
the only thing different between just being used and being  refurbished GoPro makes it like  new again quality and comes with GoPros standard 1 year warranty.

That seems pretty significant---maybe worth the extra $50 or so...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

• View Profile

That seems pretty significant---maybe worth the extra $50 or so...

If you feel $200 vs $100 is worth it, go for it. I feel like at that point you might as well put in another $75 for a BRAND new one, or look at other new cameras for the same price.

GoPros are very simple devices. I've never hear of the camera itself just suddenly deciding to stop working. Its not like buying a secondhand computer. If you check out all the functions of the camera and they work, it should continue to do so unless you do something to it like drop it in water.

And I'd put money on GoPro helping out even with it long out of warranty. They continually send me parts on my older cameras that are long out of warranty.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
GoPros are very simple devices. I've never hear of the camera itself just suddenly deciding to stop working. Its not like buying a secondhand computer. If you check out all the functions of the camera and they work, it should continue to do so unless you do something to it like drop it in water.

You're probably right, but the only GoPro I ever owned had a flakey power button and got damaged (my own fault) to the point of becoming a very expensive paperweight. So, that makes me somewhat reluctant to consider used.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

DiveForFun

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I have a GoPro hero 3+ my wife bought me when they first came out for my dives. I’ve never had a need to upgrade. Very happy with the quality of the videos and the thing is a tank. The battery life is great and if I really need to I can connect it through WiFi. It has and continues to serve me well for my purposes. I don’t think you can really go wrong with any GoPro.

anything