Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: close call!  (Read 5544 times)

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Funny to see the two Honda 400's...  My first street bike was a CM400 like this:
except burgandy.  Was my only means of transportation for over a year, then moved up to a shovelhead Harley...  but too many close calls to count, if I kept riding all the time I knew I'd die.

Glad you're ok, Mooch!  Gently ease on the front brake, right?

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
good job keeping your cool.
I am learning on an old Kawasaki KZ400 and am scheduled for the MSFC the weekend of the 15th...

funny how after commuting by bicycle for a long time, very few things that cars do surprise me, just ride alert and its all good.  I'm also guilty of long following distances and assuming that all drivers are on the cell phone and simultaneously spilling coffee in their crotch   :smt003

Chryss likes the little bike as well and is excited to be able to ride with me (after the MSFC)
Here's a pic of her playing on it in the garage  :)
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Usagi

• Sea Lion
  • The results of a negative WAF account...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Zee, if you only dropped your bike once you must not have had it for too long.  :smt002

The guy who taught me to ride told me that there are two kinds of motorcycle riders: those who have laid it down, and those that are going to.  The trick is to land right.  :smt002  I've been riding for almost 35 years now and have dropped every bike I've owned more than once...usually because of some idiot driver cutting me off, although rain and gravel have played their part on more than one occasion.  In my "younger and stupider" years, speed and showboating caused a wreck or two as well. 

Allen: What year is that 400F...'75 or '76?  My first bike (at age 15) was a CB350, but I moved up to a 400F later on.  Red not blue, although I always lusted after those blue models.  :smt003  I ended up selling mine to a guy from Japan who collected vintage bikes.  He shipped it back with 3-4 others he'd picked up while living in the states.

Mooch, glad to hear you survived your incident.  Your balance must be getting better from that stand-up board!  I had a similar incident when I was about 15...was riding on the back of a friend's bike coming back from Santa Cruz on 17 when the rear tire blew.  At 60mph.  In the rain.  He was skilled enough to get us to the shoulder in one piece, but it was hair-raising to say the least.  I attributed my wet pants to the pouring rain, but I may have peed a little.  :smt005
You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing...

ZeeHokkaido

• Sea Lion
  • Kayaking + Fishing = Happiness!
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Hokkaido
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Zee, if you only dropped your bike once you must not have had it for too long.  :smt002

Had it for most of the time I was in Japan which is 7 years. Driving is nutty there but somehow only was in one goofy incident. One more time after that I almost got squished so called my career. On a closed course I'm down for speed still!  :smt003

Z
2010 NWKA Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - 1st place
Stealth Kayaks
Kokatat Watersports Wear
Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
Orion Coolers

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Hey Peter, I believe it was a 76.  I loved that thing.  The guy I bought it from had fairing, bags and saddle seat, all of which I stripped off and put original seat back on.  Commuted for 2 yrs from SB to Oxnard, yes that lovely stretch past Rincon.....

Once, on that bike I was going 95 up 101 there and passed three cars together in the right lane.  The middle car was CHP. Oops.  I looked over and he looked over and our eyes met for one brief instant.

He pulled out with his lights on and I was almost already gone.  Considered taking Bates road and losing him on the back roads behind Carpenteria, but then thought maybe staying alive and healthy was a better idea.

He pulled me up to the top of the exit so he could get radio reception and asked how fast I was going.  I told him "Maybe 70?"

He laughed and said he would write me up for 65 even though he estimated 95. (Limit was 55 then, remember?).I said no sir, I have a front wheel shimmy at anything over 90, so I don't go there..."  He laughs again,  then he says "I have a Gold Wing, it will do 95...."

Nice guy.  I think he was just grateful that I pulled over and didn't rabbit (is that why they call you rabbit?).  Also, being a fellow bike rider he cut me a break.

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

DaveW

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2006
Mooch, glad you and and your man-scooter made it. 

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
I didn't start on this Roadking. I started on a minibike when I was 15. Then I got a Kawy KZ750. I took the Highway Patrol Motorcycle Training course in LA in the late 70's.

Moved to San Jose, went to college, got married, had kids, sold the bikes, raised kids, bought the Harley, took the Santa Cruz County Motorcycle Safety Course (just to be sure I didn't forget anything) and have been riding it for 7 years. Haven't laid it down except once intentionally just to see if I could life that big boy up (900lbs with touring box). I'm in the driveway, bikes not on, didn't see my wife watching me from the kitchen window. I laid down towels by the crash bars, kicked up the side stand and laid it down on the towels.She comes out and says  "Did you hit your head at work or get struck by lightning" :smt012.. I righted it without a hernia, but damn, don't want to make a habit of it!! :smt002

Rich

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Im glad you are allright.  Way to keep your cool under a hectic situation.
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Glad you were not hurt. No matter how good you are it never hurts to have a little luck in the mix. I still have metal plates and pins in one leg from one of my last famous bike rides. I gave 3 of them away so they would be gone when I got out of the hospital. I was very young and very lucky
2010 MBK Tournament Winner and new T-13 owner

INSANEDUANE

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I know how you feel I was on my GSXR1100 heading too napa I was cruising about 140mph
when a bolt on my steering damper came apart and I got the worst speed wobbles that I ever had
I came within a inch of my life I don't know how I kept it on the road :smt009

the bike was not stock the 1100 motor was punched out to about
1250cc, HP was around 200 or more, top speed with no head wind
185MPH but I could not see the speedo I did not want to look
down at that speed I once made it to napa in less than 35 min
from Alameda. I blew through the bridge at well over 100mph.
man I loved that bike it would pull wheel-stand's at 130mph

god what a dumb ass I was I'm so lucky to be alive  :smt011

be carefull out there Duane :smt006

3RD annual 2007 halfmoon bay kayaks derby winner

fish or die you dirty dogs

anything