Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:42:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Lake Tahoe  (Read 2230 times)

stacksboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I'm headed to south Lake Tahoe this weekend (March 3-4) for a men's retreat but will have some down time to fish.  Specifically I'll be in Zephyr Cove on the Nevada site.

I have no experience up there at all.  Anyone willing to provide a bit of direction and some tips on how to fish the lake (or nearby streams) when it's this cold?  I don't have the gear (yet) to brave the water with the 'yak so will be shore bound.

I don't mind hiking if it'll get me on fish.  I'd also love to hookup if anyone's close.

TIA
Yeah, well...the Dude abides.

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
go out on Tahoe Sport fishing, best thing to do in tahoe is fish during the winter with all the snow around! They would always get me on fish , haven't done it in a while but we had an annual trip in Feb we would always go out with them. Tried a few others also but it is nice that Tahoe Sport Fishing is right in South Lake.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I'm also in Tahoe this weekend for a bachelor party (could it possibly be the same men's retreat?). Everyone is likely going to be snowboarding on Saturday, and I don't snowboard. I contemplated my fishing stuff to kill time on Saturday....never fished Tahoe before either. I'll think on it.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok, For all of you thinking you are going to make it in or out of tahoe this weekend.... I may not be able to make it to work in Auburn on friday. Snowfall amounts have been UPGRADED... Up to 2' of snow @ 2300 ft elevation. Be careful and know when to stop and go home! I expect I80 to close if snow goes over 3-5" @ applegate on friday. Make alt plans now, so you can re-route everyone involved... We need the snow so let it come and be safe!!! :smt005
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

The Kraken

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Ok, For all of you thinking you are going to make it in or out of tahoe this weekend.... I may not be able to make it to work in Auburn on friday. Snowfall amounts have been UPGRADED... Up to 2' of snow @ 2300 ft elevation. Be careful and know when to stop and go home! I expect I80 to close if snow goes over 3-5" @ applegate on friday. Make alt plans now, so you can re-route everyone involved... We need the snow so let it come and be safe!!! :smt005

Yep. Local news has possible blizzard like conditions in Tahoe tomorrow and snow through Saturday.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Well the key issue is going to be the snow as stated above, anywhere you go is going to have deep powder and likely frozen shoreline.

Beyond that even at the best of times Lake Tahoe is unfishable from shore due to the fact that most fish frequent around 200 feet of water. So normally I'd recommend fishing Echo lake in south lake or Donner in north lake.

I'd look into driving out to Pyramid lake north of Reno and go for cutthroats if the roads are accessible.

Followgravity

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015

This!!! I live up here and we are all battening down the hatches expecting it to get gnarly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Grow a set and deal with it drama queens.  :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt04
Oh no we got a 1/2'' of hail, better call it a snow day.
Fish in a blizzard. Just dress for it.
While everyone else will be bitching about the 4'  (6'' actual) of snow they got you'll be having fun.
Cave rock has produced some monster fish from shore.
GO FOR IT!
<=>

stacksboy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
As y'all stated, not sure if the weather is going to cooperate. Thanks for info on Cave Rock and Echo Lake.

How would you fish em? Sliding sinker with eggs on the bottom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yeah, well...the Dude abides.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
As y'all stated, not sure if the weather is going to cooperate. Thanks for info on Cave Rock and Echo Lake.

How would you fish em? Sliding sinker with eggs on the bottom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That, worms, or stay warm and keep throwing a Kastmaster or such.
The only thing that should stop you is the wind. No getting around that.
Dress appropriately and you'll be fine.

<=>

Followgravity

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Man I live and work in storms all winter, 20-30" inches today with more all weekend is not really something to take lightly, this is the sorta storm that kills people. Sure it's a blast if your prepared for it but most people aren't.
By all means come up I'll be out playing in the storm all night!! Be safe this weekend all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Eh. Ive got a full sized 4x4 and chains. as long as 50 is open I'll make it. Hell, as long as my bumper clears the snow I'll make it. Everyone knows the cold never killed anyone  :smt044  Plus it's easier to keep the beer cold.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

Kayakfish7

• Salmon
  • Rain or shine fish on
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
How much is it for a Nevada fishing license ? I live in California so do I need a multi license to fish
Ocean Kayak Trident 13 follow me @kayakfish7

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
How much is it for a Nevada fishing license ? I live in California so do I need a multi license to fish
No, you are good on all of the waters on lake tahoe and can even launch in nevada if you want.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Im heading up Friday morn for four days this is good news , I was going to look into when I got there.. Might do a charter.  :smt003
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

anything