Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Surf Zone Class  (Read 1226 times)

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
On May 19, I participated in a Surf Zone Class with River and Ocean Paddle Sports. First off I can say that I have now turtled my Eddyline Caribbean 14' every conceivable way. In fact so many times that I stopped keeping track around 11am.

Anyone thinking of launching in the surf zone (surf above 1-2 feet) should not without some training and practice. The odds of success are low to nil. 

This class is for students that have successfully passed sea kayaking 1 & 2 so we were expected to have the basics covered. We had four students in the class: a woman in her 30s, and two other guys in their mid 20s. The two guys were in excellent shape and one is an avid surfer. Two students had sit inside sea kayaks and two of us had sit on top style.

The class was held at Miramar Beach in Half Moon  Bay. The average surf was 2-3 feet with sets of 4-5 foot waves about every 10 minutes. The teacher started off the class explaining wave timing and then had us give it a try. One person asked about landing and the teacher said don't worry about that now we will cover that later. Just go out to the safe zone(beyond the breakers) and come back in anyway you want. Well, going out is fairly easy and all of us were able to on the first try. Coming back in is much more challenging---we all got dumped on the way in.   

Throughout the day we were taught and shown how to deal with different conditions, and then we would practice. We practiced going out forwards and backwards, coming in forwards and backwards, fast reverse brace, side bracing, and paddling parallel right at the breaking waves. Each time we would dump the teacher would explain why and then send us out to try again. Everyone in the class got dumped over and over throughout the day, only the teacher made it to the end without getting dumped.

One of the most important things I learned is that you cannot surf long kayaks in front of the wave perpendicular, either you surf on top of the wave or you do a bracing side surf in front. Many times I would look back and see a wave beginning to break and I couldn't decide what to do. In a split second you need to make a decision and go for it---if you don't it's turtle time. Some of the choices are: fast reverse brace to punch through backwards, try to out run it, or a bracing side surf. Although I was starting to get the hang of most of the techniques it is not to the level where I would go out in the surf with my fishing gear. I will need to get a lot more practice, or i will just launch from protected areas.   

The class was taught by Kelly Marie Henry and I can highly recommend her, she did a fantastic job.

My goal was to complete sea kayaking 1 & 2, and the surf zone class before fishing in the ocean(I did sneak out to TC on May 5) and now that those are completed and with trips out on the lakes and bay I feel quite confident about going out in the ocean (from protected launch sites).   
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:25:47 PM by Mark L »
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Great write up.  Thanks
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Yesterday I participated in a Surf Zone Class with River and Ocean Paddle Sports. First off I can say that I have now turtled my Eddyline Caribbean 14' every conceivable way. In fact so many times that I stopped keeping track around 11am.

Anyone thinking of launching in the surf zone (surf above 1-2 feet) should not without some training and practice. The odds of success are low to nil. 

This class is for students that have successfully passed sea kayaking 1 & 2 so we were expected to have the basics covered. We had four students in the class: a woman in her 30s, and two other guys in their mid 20s. The two guys were in excellent shape and one is an avid surfer. Two students had sit inside sea kayaks and two of us had sit on top style.

The class was held at Miramar Beach in Half Moon  Bay. The average surf was 2-3 feet with sets of 4-5 foot waves about every 10 minutes. The teacher started off the class explaining wave timing and then had us give it a try. One person asked about landing and the teacher said don't worry about that now we will cover that later. Just go out to the safe zone(beyond the breakers) and come back in anyway you want. Well, going out is fairly easy and all of us were able to on the first try. Coming back in is much more challenging---we all got dumped on the way in.   

Throughout the day we were taught and shown how to deal with different conditions, and then we would practice. We practiced going out forwards and backwards, coming in forwards and backwards, fast reverse brace, side bracing, and paddling parallel right at the breaking waves. Each time we would dump the teacher would explain why and then send us out to try again. Everyone in the class got dumped over and over throughout the day, only the teacher made it to the end without getting dumped.

One of the most important things I learned is that you cannot surf long kayaks in front of the wave perpendicular, either you surf on top of the wave or you do a bracing side surf in front. Many times I would look back and see a wave beginning to break and I couldn't decide what to do. In a split second you need to make a decision and go for it---if you don't it's turtle time. Some of the choices are: fast reverse brace to punch through backwards, try to out run it, or a bracing side surf. Although I was starting to get the hang of most of the techniques it is not to the level where I would go out in the surf with my fishing gear. I will need to get a lot more practice, or i will just launch from protected areas.   

The class was taught by Kelly Marie Henry and I can highly recommend her, she did a fantastic job.

My goal was to complete sea kayaking 1 & 2, and the surf zone class before fishing in the ocean(I did sneak out to TC on May 5) and now that those are completed and with trips out on the lakes and bay I feel quite confident about going out in the ocean (from protected launch sites).   

Mark, perfect timing for this post.  I've been speaking w/Jennifer and am trying to get a class together for us NCKA'ers.  Glad to hear you endorse their service. 

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
That is a great place to have the class as well. Back in the day with CCK we taught the surf zone classes there.

You are ahead of the curve now Mark L!
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

anything