Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fishing in this smoke...  (Read 2105 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Is anyone else concerned about paddling/pedaling/fishing in this smoke? I’m tempted to fish this weekend for salmon, but the smoke in the air is giving me serious pause. I imagine it’s worse off Marin. Thoughts?
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I think it would be wise to avoid any significant outdoor exercise until the smoke clears...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I did a good bit of googling and reading regarding this same question, and the consensus seemed to me to be that, if you are neither very young nor very old, and don't have asthma, heart disease, etc, the benefits of exercise outweigh the negative consequences of inhaling additional pollutants. People who exercise live longer and are healthier than people who don't, even in areas with high air pollution.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:40:47 PM by FeoPronk »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Is anyone else concerned about paddling/pedaling/fishing in this smoke? I’m tempted to fish this weekend for salmon, but the smoke in the air is giving me serious pause. I imagine it’s worse off Marin. Thoughts?
I fished china camp monday and benicia on wednesday.  The smoke seems tolerable but my lungs were a little off.  After monday I had a little weez and after wednesday same.  Wore a facemask and it may have helped but the problem is that you do not get enough oxygen. Very minor headache, stay hydratied because smoke removes moisture from your body. Made me tired and cranky and maybe even depressed.  Maybe less if I caught a keeper anything.. :smt005  Other than that, go for it.  I would go again but do not have time.  Don't take my advice unless you have the urge to fish. :smt006
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 07:31:18 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I did a good bit of googling and reading regarding this same question ...

This question deals with a term issue (few days, or weeks at most) and your research probably is based on the long term.  It seems to me that missing a few days of exercise is preferable to getting a bunch of smoke in your lungs. But, my dad died of lung cancer, so I'm probably extra paranoid about getting any crap in my lungs.

And, ignoring my own advice, I have actually fished a couple of times in the smoke---ended up with a sore throat and pretty severe headache both times. So it's definitely not for me...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I did a good bit of googling and reading regarding this same question ...

This question deals with a term issue (few days, or weeks at most) and your research probably is based on the long term.  It seems to me that missing a few days of exercise is preferable to getting a bunch of smoke in your lungs. But, my dad died of lung cancer, so I'm probably extra paranoid about getting any crap in my lungs.

And, ignoring my own advice, I have actually fished a couple of times in the smoke---ended up with a sore throat and pretty severe headache both times. So it's definitely not for me...
I'm leaning that way but I had to try it.  I had to question my fishing philosophy. :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Tinker

Up here, when the Chetco Bar Fire was smoking up the joint, there was always a thin layer of clear air just above the ocean's surface.  Isn't it the same?

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Up here, when the Chetco Bar Fire was smoking up the joint, there was always a thin layer of clear air just above the ocean's surface.  Isn't it the same?
not right now it isn't - the smoke has been at ground level in SF everyday. I noticed it at work this week.

There is definitely no benefit to fishing in the smoke, except if you want to eat pre-smoked fish.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I fished the hell out of the Rogue during that labor day crush when the chetco bar fire smoke was bad.  There wasn't much relief down low on Sunday of that weekend until the wind came up from the north.  THat only lasted for a couple hours and it was back to choking.  Brookings was completely terrible.  Crescent City wasn't much better, the whole area was socked in with smoke.  Even Humboldt Bay was sufficiently smoky at ground level that we cancelled youth soccer practices.

Thing is, it was smoky no matter where you were or what you did, so you might as well fish.  Fishing was actually good.  Fish did not taste presmoked.  I wouldn't go overexerting myself in heavy smoke, but it's not going to stop me from a little fishing.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I fished off the Marin coast from shore, surf perching at wildcat beach, on Wed morning. Air was clear and fantastic. Maybe check some imaging but I imagine the coast is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IG: @sakana_seeker

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Fishing in the smoke is better than not fishing.  We had almost two months of real bad smoke in Western Montana this summer, and were evacuated from our cabin for about three weeks.  Here is a picture of a smoky day on Lindbergh Lake, and a picture of what I should have been seeing.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I was planning to troll the Marin Coastline this weekend, but opted to hop on a party boat instead. (I will wear an N95 mask on the boat).

Breathing these fine particles (PM2.5) is very bad for your health - especially breathing them deep into your lungs during aerobic exercise.

This isn’t your typical wildfire smoke. This is burned trees in addition to houses, cars, warehouses, meth labs, transformers, electronics, household chemicals, lead paint, plastics, etc, etc, etc... Stuff that’s NOT good for your respiratory system.

It’s your call, of course, but I would recommend against exercising in these smoky conditions.

(I’m an environmental engineer - I know a bit about air pollution.)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:51:23 PM by AlexB »

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I stepped outside in Santa Cruz this morning about a mile up from Soquel Pt or Blacks Beach and it smelled like a smoky campground.  About 10:30, I drove down to above the beach in  Capitola, and the smoke was right down on the water and it looked real crappy.  I suppose I'm in the "old" category, because my throat was getting sore and I was sneezing frequently just driving.   Probably no worse than all the decades I spent inside workplaces so thick with cigarette smoke you could see a haze in the air and I had to hang my clothes outside when I got home, but I think I'll wait a few days to go fishing (But that's easy for me to say because, without one of those pesky jobs, I can fish the weekdays. Because I'm old.  See what you have to look forward to if you take care of yourselves?) .

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
This isn’t your typical wildfire smoke. This is burned trees in addition to houses, cars, warehouses, meth labs, transformers, electronics, household chemicals, lead paint, plastics, etc, etc, etc... Stuff that’s NOT good for your respiratory system.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered.  Up here it was almost entirely a wildland fire with a relative few houses that burned.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yeah... I’m pretty sure McLeas Tires burned to the ground (they installed a set of BFGs on my very first truck when I was 15). Don’t really want to breath tire smoke...

It’s just crazy what’s happening up there... Unbelievable.