Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:59:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Footage shows the moments minutes before a kayaker died in a tough swell  (Read 2075 times)

Tall-Tails

Anyone else feel like there are a lot of strange details in this story? Not being sure, all respects to the angler and his family/friends...RIP.

That said, shore was in sight, was there no pull out opportunities due to cliffs?

What was going on with the currents and tide that made his return so challenging?

If he was able to post a video of his final moments, why not contact CG?

Wasn’t he wearing a PFD? Not that doing so ensures one cannot drown, just seems crazy that his body was found “moments after the video was posted”

Your thoughts?

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
Anyone else feel like there are a lot of strange details in this story? Not being sure, all respects to the angler and his family/friends...RIP.

That said, shore was in sight, was there no pull out opportunities due to cliffs?

What was going on with the currents and tide that made his return so challenging?

If he was able to post a video of his final moments, why not contact CG?

Wasn’t he wearing a PFD? Not that doing so ensures one cannot drown, just seems crazy that his body was found “moments after the video was posted”

Your thoughts?

Totally agree with all of that.  Honestly this just seems to come down to unpreparedness and what seems like beginners inexperience.  He posted videos earlier in the day fishing, and the wind was already far worse than what I would ever launch into, plus very steep swell.  No wetsuit and he was mentioning the wet cold water in the video... Lots of small things that could have made this a very different story.  Maybe with a PFD and wetsuit he could have stuck it out and paddled closer to bail in the surf zone and float in, but we will not know unfortunately. 

Now, that said, another great idea is an ACR PLB. I recently bought one for my solo boating adventures, but take it kayaking, mountainbiking, and pretty much anywhere things can get hairy and I may need help from SAR services.  For 300 dollars, I can call in for rescue and be damn sure it will be there and people will know about me regardless if im alive or dead.  Someone is coming and tracking me as long as I press that button.  After 5 years, if I don't need to use it (Lord willing), I pay a small fee, and get a new battery for it and I'm good for another 5 years. If I do use it to save my life, they will give me a new one at no cost.

For $60 bucks a year you can get some of the best insurance there is for when shit hits the fan and you need HELP!

anyway yeah.. this is a weird story for sure and extremely tragic it ended this way... Hopefully people can really take safety and internalize it as the sport grows at an increasing rate. I hope we see these incidents go down rather than increase.

EDIT: Here is a link to the PLB I purchased. I am not affiliated to the store or company, I just happened to order from here. https://www.thegpsstore.com/ACR-2921-ResQLink-400-PLB-Floating-Personal-Locator-Beacon-P5927.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjwn7j2BRDrARIsAHJkxmz-Rl2LpQI_kVNhb02KIoPmjxkj5bo5HyMoj-1Iyw-oia19NoMjujkaAtUUEALw_wcB
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:39:20 PM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Looks like he's wearing an inflatable PFD? Maybe it  malfunctioned or he couldn't deploy it fast enough.
water temp with no wet/dry suit though....
tragic outcome. RIP.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
Looks like he's wearing an inflatable PFD? Maybe it  malfunctioned or he couldn't deploy it fast enough.
water temp with no wet/dry suit though....
tragic outcome. RIP.

I looked again and youre right, its a manual inflation type 1 PFD
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Sad story.

That yak doesn't look like an ocean boat.  Not trying to second guess this guy or be callous, but people who look at this should get some meaningful feedback.  I could be wrong - can't see it well.

I agree with Bushy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 08:11:05 PM by LoletaEric »
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I watched about 35 seconds of the video. My judgement?  Guy is was a fucking idiot!!  Taking time to video himself and post on Facebook?  But not calling rescue? He shoulda called an SOS (on his vhf radio. oops he didn't have one?) on his phone, dumped the rod and the cooler, and rode downwind to land wherever he could...  Conditions really don't look that bad in the video. No worse than San Pablo Bay.....

Sorry but Darwin Award for this guy....

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." 

I looked up the water temperature for Batemans Bay for Sunday.  The conversion from Celcius shows it to be 66* average.  A different website presented a range of 55* to 66* for Sunday.  So, at the worst, it was the same temperature as our waters. 

As you guys said, he's dead because he was stupid for all the reasons stated.  Too bad for his family and friends.

'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

lir

fail to plan,plan to fail.

always have plan B