Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:04:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:01:39 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Disappointed in a Kayak Fisherman PFD use...or lack of it.  (Read 8656 times)

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
From my very first day being affliated with NCKA, going back tot he day I met Mooch in Aquan Sport (and this a long time ago). Everything has been safety first. 

Long story short, been watching my fill of Youtube fishing videos during Washington states lock down. So I watched this one guy's video on trolling for bass. He is in a lake in Tennessee.  The video was okay, but the guy is not wearing a PFD. I posted "Good video except the placement of the PFD." The PFD is located on the stern hatch, not on him if he rolls.

His response " safety Sally alert safety sally alert,"  IMHO this is childish BS.  What are your thoughts? Was I out of line?

Here is the Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO0ElqIMIVA&lc=UgwkuivDmKv4E20yx0l4AaABAg.96F0xJ1ywK298sjv92zEV7

I would really like to know your thoughts. I know as former Medic I have seen more than my fair share of deaths caused by accidents that could of been avoided.  So I see stuff like this and know it can happen and will happen to someone on that body of water, sooner than later.

Apparently this lake has a reputation: 152 People have drowned in this lake, of them 149 were not wearing a PFD.  https://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/Locations/Lakes/J-Percy-Priest-Lake/Water-Safety/

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:05:57 PM by Squidder K »
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Not local, not our circus, not our monkeys, I'd just show myself the door.

Not out of line, just not worth the time.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
Everyone's gotta brain
Not all of them use IT either
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
You're not wrong to point out to him. He's a jerk, not worth your time.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Ronnokk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
"If you don't want to wear your PFD, that's fine!"
-Charles Darwin :smt044
2020 Hobie Outback

2nd Place Tiki Lagun 2012

Bchen

• Salmon
  • Bernard Chen
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
It's interesting to see how different social rules form. 

The NCKA OG's were so consistent about safety that wearing a PFD, dressing for immersion, and carrying a radio are the default.  Maybe TN is warmer so the youtuber thinks he's safe.  I'm guessing it's pretty easy to kayak far enough that you can't swim back to shore even in a lake.

Anyway, you're right, but on the internet:

Martianfish

• Sea Lion
  • SEMPER PARATUS
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I was stationed in that area of Tn. & Kentucky back in the late 70’s. The water is definetly warmer than here, but not wearing a lifejacket is plain dumb. He also said he was 60-70 yards off shore, depending on how good/bad a swimmer you are that could be a looong ways.  For us (retired coasty) working over the side or in our work boat lifejackets were mandatory.
Yakhopper's  Alameda Rock Wall  1st Place  June 13, 2010
2016 Hobie Outback
ARW Godfather

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Anyway, you're right, but on the internet:

Perfect!
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I’m more offended that he’s trolling for bass.....everyone knows that ain’t legit.....kook.   :smt044
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
It was just some random person replying to you, not the youtuber, so take it for a grain of salt?

also a 5 year old video.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:52:04 PM by tehpenguins »
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

Kev Collector

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
I mean, at the end of the day it's his own safety and if he doesn't prioritize that, then there's not much you can really do.
Props for pointing it out though.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
You were definitely not out of line, Squidder.  We have a culture of safety here because we don't want others to drag down this sport.  If people can't follow basic safety then we need to call them out and let them either conform or go their own way.

Let him do what he wants, but make it known that we don't approve - that's not how we roll.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Blobfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
He knows. Just like moto riders know to wear helmets. Smokers know it's bad for them. Speeding increases your chances of an accident etc.

I do notice a great deal of animosity on this forum. Discussions, info threads and advise are helpful, but about as much good as you can do from your computer on a local forum. Just dial in your expectation to enforce and getting people to "conform".. do your thing and don't get worked up by the internet.

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
You were definitely not out of line, Squidder.  We have a culture of safety here because we don't want others to drag down this sport.  If people can't follow basic safety then we need to call them out and let them either conform or go their own way.

Let him do what he wants, but make it known that we don't approve - that's not how we roll.

+1

He knows. Just like moto riders know to wear helmets. Smokers know it's bad for them. Speeding increases your chances of an accident etc.

I do notice a great deal of animosity on this forum. Discussions, info threads and advise are helpful, but about as much good as you can do from your computer on a local forum. Just dial in your expectation to enforce and getting people to "conform".. do your thing and don't get worked up by the internet.

We are about safety first here. Just because there’s comments made after you post a pic not wearing a PFD on the ocean doesn’t mean we are hostile. We just don’t condone that on this forum and it’s not a good idea for you to do so. It gives others that same idea which is why Kevin originally posted this thread.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:31:41 AM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
We are about safety first here. Just because there’s comments made after you post a pic not wearing a PFD on the ocean doesn’t mean we are hostile. We just don’t condone that on this forum and it’s not a good idea for you to do so. It gives others that same idea which is why Kevin originally posted this thread.

Disagree.....seems to be an abnormally high number of hall monitors here now.  I take responsibility for my own personal safety (and those of my guests when I’m on my boat). After several decades of experience in the water I feel like I’m able to comfortably asses situations and decide when I do or do not wear a pfd.  Granted, the number of times I don’t have one on is fairly small and in specific conditions/bodies of water.  I will say, the last thing I care to hear is Monday morning quarterbacking from some rando kook with no comparable water time experience who feels like it’s his responsibility to tell me how I should be operating. 

I believe in promoting safety, providing resources and a productive environment in which we can share experiences/ideas (good or bad).  I do not believe in the active enforcement of our “ethos” or piling on when people disagree. I think it does give the board a bad vibe sometimes.

PS, I think that if it’s a YouTuber that really is trying to monetize the sport then they should be held to a slightly higher standard of responsibility......but if it’s just a hillbilly from the tucky.....by all means sir, paddle with no pfd.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker