Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:19:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[Today at 07:13:27 AM]

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Buddy system  (Read 2100 times)

rroland

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
First off as many on the board know I lost my best friend and fellow revo rider moodymike last year.

I just turned 65 a few weeks back my revo is ready to go.

There is a certain kayak angler who is a you tube channel guy who I follow and respect.  Since the SIP he’s been doing solo missions on big blue.  Makes me itchy to get out there.  There are a lot of new people on this board and just a reminder buddy up.  Big blue is no joke
moo moo was getting seriously hassled by seals and the SC surfer tragedy spells to me no solo missions.

So despite what you hear and see always always have all your gear correct and use the buddy system.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 01:33:50 PM by rroland »
Perseverance furthers

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Great reminder rroland!

Sometimes, the occasional solo missions do happen, but when it does...I try to go to a place where I know there will be other yakkers or boaters OTW.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

rroland

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010

Moo moo and team rescue it’s all there good job gentlemen
Perseverance furthers

lopezcador

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
A must c for all - period,,,,,,,,,

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for the great documentation video Rroland.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
The best way to practice getting back on your kayak is to make it fun.
First practice the basics. Get on your belly, roll to your butt, sit up, face forward.
This you can do in any water.
Now replicate conditions; but how?
Play 'King of the Kayak' with a couple of friends.
One kayak in the water upside down. First one to sit on it right side up wins.
Make sure everyone is wearing a PFD. Grabbing, pulling, dunking is not only allowed but encouraged. The ocean is not forgiving and neither should you be.
Practice in cold water. The effects cold water have on your ability to get back on is a real eye opener.
Don't imagine it; experience it.
Practice getting back on from both sides and front and back as well as upside down.
Another way to make things fun is to go out with friends and bring a small football. Play catch as you are paddling. Try to make some 'highlight reel' catches and throws. If you have to dive to make the catch so be it. This will hone your balancing skills without you even thinking about it.
Most important; practice, practice, practice.
For those of us that dive from our kayak it is something we have done hundreds of times.
Don't be complacent just because you did it once and think you are dialed in. You need to be Helen Keller when getting back on with zero thought involved. Off and on in the blink of an eye.
Lake Tahoe cold water practice.
<=>

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Those kayaks are so unsafe

lir

how about a 55+ only buddy system thread..LOL

Guys used to post hook ups for early season self rescue chills but that went pffft...

I used to go with a few guys to Lake Sonoma in Spring for early season wake up then hit TC for a session.Best thing i did was take an impromptu class set up by Rockroach with Sean Morley .

He kept us in the water during the class only allowed on the kayak to self rescue then get off ,also switch up and try different kayaks and techniques to get back on. well worth it. be surprised how many guys cant self rescue.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:02:28 AM by Spiffy O`Neill »

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Thanks for the reminder, rroland.

Here is a good test: when you are out on the ocean, would you be hesitant to jump in the water? Are you worried that you will get cold? Are you worried that you will have trouble getting back in your kayak? If so, I don’t think you are prepared.
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I love fishing alone and in 48 years can count on one hand the number of times I had a buddy along

The way 99% of people set up their yaks and go out completely fresh in a place that has a tendency to throw very wild curve balls, absolutely go with a buddy and all the safety gear you can safely load on your yak

There are just some people who really shouldn’t be out there in the first place, with or without a buddy but it’s their choice

Only one time I was involved in an actual rescue and it wasn’t just about getting somebody back on their yak, which anyway was on the bottom of the ocean. One thing I learned from that experience was that I didn’t know enough about rescue and how difficult it can be

MooMoo’s video illustrates so many things, worth watching but there’s more there than is obvious

The one place imo everybody should be more focused is the surf zone where kids and dogs are playing

That’s where somebody else will get hurt if we’re stupid, and I’ve seen overloaded yaks roll through crowds of kids so many times

Don’t see much posted about safety in the surf zone for non-kayakers sake but that’s a whole other thread

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013

I used to go with a few guys to Lake Sonoma in Spring for early season wake up then hit TC for a session.Best thing i did was take an impromptu class set up by Rockroach with Sean Morley .

Yo Spiffy...
Did ya ever find your seat??? :smt006  :smt005
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

lir

FishHunt(Ty)

• Salmon
  • Name: Tyler
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
FYI,
Hobie Revo + Ama kit is a good combination for ocean fishing. It worked well for me.