Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:24:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Why not to use mono from kayak  (Read 4288 times)

Michael_Alive

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I am new to kayaking, so it would be great to have more experienced people chime in. I also notice there's a TON of new people on this site, so hopefully this can save someone some hassle.

Anyway I went out last weekend with my rod spooled with 30# mono, which is what I use to fish from shore because it is cheap and I didn't see why I should need two spools of line for one rod. I will definitely never fish from a kayak with mono only again. The stretch in the line made it practically impossible to break off if you get snagged and it creates a fairly dangerous situation. Trying to unsnag yourself really makes you unstable. I have nasty cuts in my fingers from trying to grip the line (didn't have gloves). I'm pretty sure it would be impossible (for me at least) to actually break that line without going for a swim. So I had to cut the line and lose it all. This was in 60fow btw.

Someone please tell me its easier with braid mainline haha

tldr: if you use mono mainline you will regret it

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Use braid with mono topshot.

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Anyway I went out last weekend with my rod spooled with 30# mono, which is what I use to fish from shore because it is cheap and I didn't see why I should need two spools of line for one rod.

Why would you add two spools of braid to one reel? Doesn't sound like you're deep dropping :)

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
You could just learn to break your line properly. If you’re cutting your fingers with mono, you might sever them with braid.

Wrap,your line around around a bonker of gaff handle and get it tight, let the swell lift you and break the line. Retie and you get to keep fishing.  And you get to keep your fingers.  Win/Win
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Use braid with mono topshot.

30# braid mainline, 20-25# leader for me, never, ever wrap or grab your line to break it off, with braid you could lose a finger if a swell comes by.

To break off throw your legs over each side for stability, point your rod straight at the snag, thumb the spool, and pull til it breaks.

Been so long since I used mono I forgot about stretch, however the lack of stretch takes some getting used to with braid. 

I usually only use a 3 ft leader, but some people ty on a few yds of mono topshot, best of both worlds.

Wrap,your line around around a bonker of gaff handle and get it tight, let the swell lift you and break the line. Retie and you get to keep fishing.  And you get to keep your fingers.  Win/Win

This is better than my suggestion, but I'm usually too lazy to do it, and haven't had a problem with the line digging into the spool, yet. Better for balance too, Ah heck, forget what I said, follow Crashes advice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 10:18:51 PM by Dale L »

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
If you’re cutting your fingers with mono, you might sever them with braid.

Truth.  Braid cuts deep through wet hands like butter.

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Wrap tape or a bit of mono in spool first to keep braid from spinning on spool. Then load it with braid for a no stretch main line. Then top it with 10’ mono. I like to use 15 or maybe 20 pound mono for easy breaking if you need to. I use 50 pound on some and 40 pound braid on other reels for rockfishing depending on size of reel
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 08:30:17 AM by hightide »
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Michael_Alive

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
You could just learn to break your line properly. If you’re cutting your fingers with mono, you might sever them with braid.

Like that idea, but I doubt that would have done the trick with all mono. Maybe my line is extra stretchy or something. Do you do this when you have braid mainline, or can you just break off by pulling the rod?

AL

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I run 30lb mono on several of my rods, the technique Crash described works very well. If a swell does not lift enough to overcome the stretch, then directly over the snag start paddling away rapidly. Once you gain enough momentum repeat the technique described, being sure your line is pointed over the bow or the stern and not over the side. This technique is particularly suited for a pedal kayak but will also work paddling.
I like to pedal in reverse with the line wapped around bonker, or thumb the spool and pointed in front of me over the bow.

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Mono works well.  Depends on the bottom structure too. 

Reread Crash's post and do as he says. 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Braid with mono top shot is used by many here. But mono is appropriate for certain situations like salmon trolling, when you want the flex in your line.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
For me, it's braid, with a short mono leader. Size the leader so that you can break off without much trouble. If that means a 20# or even 15# leader, use it. It's better to lose a fish now and then than to go swimming.

Also, breaking off a snag is much easier on a pedal kayak.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
For me, it's braid, with a short mono leader. Size the leader so that you can break off without much trouble. If that means a 20# or even 15# leader, use it. It's better to lose a fish now and then than to go swimming.

Also, breaking off a snag is much easier on a pedal kayak.
^^^ This ^^^
Free spool it, then wrap the additional line on something harder than your finger (cups, lure, rod holder, rod, fish gripper, etc).  Then pull, but be careful not to dump.  Alternatively, cut the line.  The last solution is not the best thing to do, but if its about safety, I will definitely make an exception.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
80# braid, excessively strong I know, a three foot shot of 80# test mono which is almost abrasion proof in the rocks, and 40# mono leaders for jigs and hoochies. 40# is the most I wish to break off and I almost always point rod to stern and pedal hard till the leader parts. Heavier leader really helps in getting a big ling out of a hole without breaking off.
Charles

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I'd say more than 90% of the time, you're snagged because you're drifting. Paddle a ways up drift with line free spooling. Your line should now be at a much more horizontal angle then previously, and it's quite likely your lure will just drop free. This has worked for me countless times by doing this, even in water to 185' deep (Kodiak)

Once upon a time something monstrous just went through my 30/30 braid/fluoro setup, while on the south side of Pedro Point. Since that time, even here in CA, I've used AK level gear: 65lb braid/50lb fluoro leader. Still plenty easy to break if needed, using the gaff/bonker method.

anything