Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:26:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kokatat drysuit differences  (Read 1811 times)

ken jan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Hi guys wanted to ask if anyone knows pros and cons between the kokatat angler hydrus vs the gortex?
Wondering if I should spend the extra 200 $
Thanks

mikegrnwd

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I purchased the Gortex a couple years ago. What I like about it is it's breathable and thus you will not sweat in it on hot days and the relief zipper is a game changer.

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I think the main difference is the neck gasket. Latex gasket for the GoreTex “Dry Suit” and neoprene cuff with drawstring for the Angler “Semi Dry Suit”. The first seals better, but the latter is more comfortable

The Hydrus fabric is also breathable, but probably less so than the pricier GoreTex.

I’ve been really happy with my Angler suit for several years now, for what it’s worth...

I’ve tested it out swimming and bodysurfing after a kayak session and only ended up with a little bit of wetness around my neck and shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
hey Ken, shameless plug here...

I actually have a brand new Kokatat Gore-tex Surge Paddling Drysuit in Medium that I want to part with. I bought it but found I preferred wearing wetsuits over drysuits.

2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I have been using the kokatat angler for over  5 years and really like it.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I think the gore-tex suits have the lifetime warranty and the hydrus suits have a 2 or 3 year warranty.  I also want to say that the Hydrus material feels slightly thinner then gore-tex.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
I think the gore-tex suits have the lifetime warranty and the hydrus suits have a 2 or 3 year warranty.  I also want to say that the Hydrus material feels slightly thinner then gore-tex.
The hydrus 3.0 has a lifetime warranty.

Having two hydrus 3.0 and recently a gore-tex. I would pay the extra money and get the lighter and thinner gore-tex.

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I have a Meridian Gore tex I bought on Ebay for less than half of retail.  It had a torn next gasket which I repaired myself but it was basically new. Its been a great investment.

About the only complaint is that it does get hot when the temps are above 75 degrees but that mainly happens in the Bay.  I usually wear a set of light weight Patagonia capilene layer beneath the suit that is always moist when I remove my suit.  But I've never noted any discomfort while fishing.

I once "tested" the suit when I was at Pacifica. My net got stuck in my rudder mechanism and I had to jump in to the water to fix it.  All went well although I have to admit I was freaked a GWS was gonna come up and take a nibble.  :shark

One more note about the rubber next gasket and rubber wrist gasket: when in the water the trapped air in your suit will rise up and provide additional flotation.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
The gore fabric is supposed to breath a little better and to me “feels” a little nicer at least in my hands.

That being said I have the hydrus angler suit because it was way cheaper than the gore suit. Several years of hard use with the only issue being that I’ve had to replace one rubber wrist gasket which was easy to do.

Also the relief zipper is amazing, but make sure you zip it all the way up snug! I forgot once and of course it was the first day I’ve ever accidentally fallen off my kayak!
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
I have the Gore-Tex version and love it. Super comfortable, and pretty easy to get in and out of. I took two surf zone classes where the days are spent getting pummeled by waves. Just got a little damp around the collar each time. I purchased mine locally at Clavey’s, but Outdoor Play has 20% off sales on a regular basis.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Uminchu Naoaki

• Fisherman from Okinawa
  • Sea Lion
  • Uminchu
  • View Profile my YouTube
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
When I send the Hydrus to repair a few years ago, Kokatat offered me the upgrade to GoreTex. I just need to pay the difference and I’m glad I did. As others said GoreTex is much more breathable and feels much lighter.