Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Surf Launch Technique  (Read 4425 times)

Blobfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Ouch! Agreed. Plus surf tends to increase through the day spring summer and fall here.. we get these marine surges from thermals in the bay area (inland pulls colder coast air as it warms/rises) so of you paddle out early, it's very likely winds and chop pick-up by the time you are coming back. Typically that noon-2pm is a big transition in the coast. I use iwindfinder and surfline a lot for wind surf and tides. Nov-Mar less of thermals and more predictable ground swells effect, unless storms and clearing winds are about. My kayak is not the best so if it's not completely perpendicular to the wave it's ass will swing around. Haven't flipped it yet. One day I'll afford a more sea worthy hull. Haven't flipped it yet!

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Years of surf launches and retrievals on the east coast taught me that it's easier to get out in tough surf than it is to get back... Now that I'm in a Hobie Adventure, with the way the bow is designed, I think it'll be super easy to pull one of these unless I catch the wave just right:

A new meaning to "Surf Launching"   :smt005
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Years of surf launches and retrievals on the east coast taught me that it's easier to get out in tough surf than it is to get back... Now that I'm in a Hobie Adventure, with the way the bow is designed, I think it'll be super easy to pull one of these unless I catch the wave just right:

CATAPULT!
BDDT. Fortunately I was was a spry youngster then. I'd be paying for that for days now.....learned to get the hell away from the boat in such circumstances and follow 'er in.
still, a "sporty" launch is one of my favorite things. Landings less so, because there is always an audience :smt003
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

UsualSuspect

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2020
As my post count implies, I'm new to kayaking.  When beach landing in rough conditions, does anybody hop out of their kayak and hang onto the stern and ride the wave in?  I would also be wearing my fins at this point.  Seems like 200 lbs of a**hole would create enough drag to keep it straight till you hit the beach.
-Matt
Old Town 120 PDL

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
As my post count implies, I'm new to kayaking.  When beach landing in rough conditions, does anybody hop out of their kayak and hang onto the stern and ride the wave in?  I would also be wearing my fins at this point.  Seems like 200 lbs of a**hole would create enough drag to keep it straight till you hit the beach.

I assume you're diving from your yak? If so, I'd definitely tie your fins down somewhere (not wearing them). That sounds like a really good way to get hurt or lose a fin. I strap my fins to the bow under elastic and then use some 550 cord to secure the footpackets to the bungee. To that point, make sure all your gear is tied down. Here is a video of how I set up my dive yak
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I've crashed several times coming in...Tsuri(Michael) mentioned to me that this technique is not anything glamorous or attractive but is highly effective in getting a ride in.  I know I may have to attempt it at some point and I can visualize why it would work. :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020

I see where this logic is coming from, but I can also imagine a wave slamming you face first into your stern.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005

I did that at Muir and got out thinking about what life would be like with a broken neck

Swimming through the surf zone is a really underrated thing, I did it for decades before the challenge of staying upright got the better of my good sense

If I ever get back to fishing it will be with my son on a TI, and that will be the first lesson he gets

anything