Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bad day on Bodega Bay  (Read 5255 times)

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Thank you for sharing.  It takes balls.

I’m glad you didn’t die.

gofast

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
First glad you're OK.  I'm sure we all feel we make safety our first priority, but sometimes unusual situations appear out nowhere and way to quickly. Thanks for telling us your story, hopefully it will make us all a little safer out on the water.

Hobie makes a great kayak, but be careful around the scupper holes, they have also been known to crack and leak. I personally don't like the idea of using a scupper hole for a cart, induces lots of stress on the holes.

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
A pump is a good idea also.
Carrying a hand pump in your kayak is definitely a good idea, and I always do it, but it isn't a guaranteed solution.  Remember that if you get enough water inside the hull of a sit-on-top kayak, while you're trying to pump water out of the hatch in front of your seat, water will flood into the kayak's cockpit through scupper holes and the drive hole and slosh or flow into the open hatch, which in many kayaks will eventually be under water.  Moving forward in the cockpit and pumping water out of the front hatch won't work if it pushes down the bow and water surges forward inside the kayak and pushes the bow and open front hatch under water.  And if your kayak becomes unstable due to being full of water, you won't be able to sit in the kayak while pumping it out.  You'd have to hang onto the side of the kayak, reach over the gunwale, and try to pump out water from that position, which won't be easy.  If you get enough water in your kayak, about the only way to drain it while you're on the water is for a couple of other kayakers to open the front hatch, flip the kayak over, and slowly pull the flooded kayak up onto their kayaks while letting water drain out of the front hatch.

I had this problem before and was able to plug the scupper holes with plastic bags and then pump out trough the center hatch.

One solution to would be to install an electric bilge pump in your kayak which would allow you to pump it out with the hatches closed.  But kayak flooding should be a low probability risk which doesn't justify the weight and expense of an electric bilge pump system.  If your kayak floods frequently, you'd be better off buying a new kayak.

anything