Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:31:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bad day on Bodega Bay  (Read 5254 times)

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017

I had six noodles in my boat, not enough by far and that ones on me.

Without those six noodles your kayak may have sunk so you should feel good about that. Thanks for sharing 

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Glad you're safe.  I stopped using scupper hole cart long ago after reports of possible cracks by it.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
A pump is a good idea also.
Glad you made it back okay.
Thanks for sharing.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

bluepants42

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
Thank you for sharing your story. I’m hoping my outback with the reinforced scupper holes will reduce the chance of this happening as I recently ‘invested’ in the hobie cart.

However your story and others makes me wonder...

Stay safe and thanks again for sharing.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Ocean Kayak trident

Interesting. I bought a Trident 13 3 years ago, and everything seemed fine, except there was always a little water inside the yak at the end of the day, even though I never opened the hatches. Took it back to Clavey and they filled it with water and found a small leak in the scupper hole. They replaced the yak and I haven't had any problems with the new one. I never used a cart that connected through the scupper holes.

Glad you got out ok. I had to tow a guy in in a similar situation, but his was a cheap Walmart special that had a hole in the bottom from being dropped or dragged.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:05:58 AM by FeoPronk »

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Dale L has a good tip. I once, Once, left the drainplug open while in the fever of fishing madness. I actually noticed it just as I pushed off and paddled into a wave.  So now I have a bit of paranoia and I pop the center hatch after launch, usually while I'm rigging up just beyond the surf, just to be sure there's no immediate issues.

Glad there was no injury Redwood, this is a valuable post for all to learn from.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Probably wouldn't have helped in this scenario, but always carry a pump.

Just last weekend I got tossed a few times launching at Baker Beach and when I made it out I noticed my kayak was wobbly.  Popped the hatch and was filled with water.  Pumped it out no problem.  Would have had to head back in otherwise.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
A pump is a good idea also.
Carrying a hand pump in your kayak is definitely a good idea, and I always do it, but it isn't a guaranteed solution.  Remember that if you get enough water inside the hull of a sit-on-top kayak, while you're trying to pump water out of the hatch in front of your seat, water will flood into the kayak's cockpit through scupper holes and the drive hole and slosh or flow into the open hatch, which in many kayaks will eventually be under water.  Moving forward in the cockpit and pumping water out of the front hatch won't work if it pushes down the bow and water surges forward inside the kayak and pushes the bow and open front hatch under water.  And if your kayak becomes unstable due to being full of water, you won't be able to sit in the kayak while pumping it out.  You'd have to hang onto the side of the kayak, reach over the gunwale, and try to pump out water from that position, which won't be easy.  If you get enough water in your kayak, about the only way to drain it while you're on the water is for a couple of other kayakers to open the front hatch, flip the kayak over, and slowly pull the flooded kayak up onto their kayaks while letting water drain out of the front hatch.

One solution to would be to install an electric bilge pump in your kayak which would allow you to pump it out with the hatches closed.  But kayak flooding should be a low probability risk which doesn't justify the weight and expense of an electric bilge pump system.  If your kayak floods frequently, you'd be better off buying a new kayak.

Redwood_Rambler

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I’ll be the first to admit I did several things wrong here. I wasn’t carrying a pump, I didn’t have adequate flotation in my hull, I didn’t have a buddy, and I didn’t take the initial warning signs seriously. I don’t usually double stack crab traps on my yak and this day I had. That combined with a snappy offshore wind made me think it was just an issue of being loaded too high.

Honestly the whole experience has me a bit shook. I thought I was a strong swimmer and competent in the water, so I was surprised at how exhausted I became fighting to right the full kayak and then getting back on and trying to stay afloat. I got very lucky there was another person in the area because the current and wind were pulling me out quickly. Without the other guy to tow me in, the coast guard probably would have had to come find me somewhere drifting out in the bay.

I paddle at Doran once a week at least during the winter,  it’s a real wake up call that things could go so badly so quickly at a place I’m so comfortable with.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thank you for sharing your story. I’m hoping my outback with the reinforced scupper holes will reduce the chance of this happening as I recently ‘invested’ in the hobie cart.

However your story and others makes me wonder...

Stay safe and thanks again for sharing.
As far as I know, only the Hobies are designed for scupper hole carts. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Yes, but you can easily make your own DIY cart to fit the scuppers.  However Hobie is the only one that has the extra sleeves in the scupper holes specifically to help against cart damage. 

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
R_R thanks for the story to help keep everyone else safe, really glad you're alright if a bit shaken up.

I had six noodles in my boat, not enough by far and that ones on me.

Without those six noodles your kayak may have sunk so you should feel good about that. Thanks for sharing

At least there was something, next is to add more.
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

FLYAKER65

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2020
Very glad things turned out okay. Huge thumbs up to the paddler that was on scene. In my years of paddling Ive been fortunate to only be tested like that during emergency practice drills which I admit is well overdue for a refresher as Im almost exclusively solo these days. I understand you’re a well seasoned in the sport and know whatever you need to change up for the future :)
Also, thanks for sharing this story. Its a great reminder that anything can go wrong and multiple safety practices absolutely need to be on point for every trip solo or otherwise. Theres alway a chance we have to help a fellow paddler as opposed to receive it as well. It not so much about getting out there but also about getting back. Paddle on for years to come :)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
A bad day for sure! Without those pool noodles it would’ve been a real disaster.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Yes, but you can easily make your own DIY cart to fit the scuppers.  However Hobie is the only one that has the extra sleeves in the scupper holes specifically to help against cart damage.
Hobie designed their kayaks to have much more plastic in the scupper areas.  Other kayak manufacturers do not.  If you look at how kayaks are made in two half's, then joined together, the weakest point is where the scupper holes are. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

anything