Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:08:34 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:13:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:43:02 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Yum Yum Yellow .... Bullshit!  (Read 7464 times)

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Nice graph, helps me feel better about the upcoming crabbing season!

Glad you weren't injured and thanks for the details Inn Keeper!
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
You should report the encounter to Ralph Collier at the Shark Research Committee (Google it).  He collects data on these types of encounters and it's a great resource for info on shark activity.  I got hit on my kayak last year off Pescadero, in a similar fashion to yours - you can find reports here on on that website.

Ralph called me the next day,
We talked for about an hour (very interesting with lots of info) and he informed me that Halibut and Bat Rays are a large part of the Landlords diet in this area (Guess I'm not bleeding my Halibut anymore).
He also believes this be the same shark I encountered last September in the same general area (believes he migrates here annually and feeds for a month or two before moving on). 
Getting hit by a G.W. adds a lot of perspective about this sport and I have to admit that I have had some serious thoughts about selling my kayaks and looking at a small boat.
For now, I'm still content with my yaks, but reality is, this was my third encounter with a G.W. in just over a year … It really messes with your confidence … Not sure I can handle much more.
For Now,
Life is still good in the Cove!
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Kayaks and boats both have their advantages and disadvantage. I've fished about 20 times in the salt this year in my kayak. I also have a friend who has a 14' aluminum boat with a 20hp Honda outboard motor. I have to admit it's nice not to have to dress for immersion, take all the gear and comforts you want, stand up to pee, and have a big ice chest to put your catch in. The fish we catch from the boat taste the same as the ones caught from the kayak. Not to mention the GWS thing, which can be huge. I'm thinking it would be nice to have both.
"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric

Tez

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Kayaks and boats both have their advantages and disadvantage. I've fished about 20 times in the salt this year in my kayak. I also have a friend who has a 14' aluminum boat with a 20hp Honda outboard motor. I have to admit it's nice not to have to dress for immersion,

Sounds like a false sense of security to me... Why not dress for immersion whenever you are on the water?  Friend of a friend went overboard (powerboat) with waders and all that dumb shit on, but not dressed for the water.  He had a hell of a time getting back on the boat, and the cold was no joke.  It ended the fishing immediately, ruined the day for everyone, and that was not the worst possible outcome.

NotaSeal

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
By not having to dress for immersion I mean not having wear my wet suit. I would never wear waders in a boat. A life jacket, yes.
"Look for it in yourself - it's there, and it has many forms.  "It" is a way to live that benefits you by doing your best to do the right thing by others." LoletaEric

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
There is a lot of interesting data at the Shark Research Committe site.
http://sharkresearchcommittee.com/statistics.htm
According to that chart, there has only been 5 kayaks attacked by sharks...? We know for a fact there’s been more than a dozen in the last 10yrs btwn Lompoc & Shelter cove.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
You should report the encounter to Ralph Collier at the Shark Research Committee (Google it).  He collects data on these types of encounters and it's a great resource for info on shark activity.  I got hit on my kayak last year off Pescadero, in a similar fashion to yours - you can find reports here on on that website.

Ralph called me the next day,
We talked for about an hour (very interesting with lots of info) and he informed me that Halibut and Bat Rays are a large part of the Landlords diet in this area (Guess I'm not bleeding my Halibut anymore).
He also believes this be the same shark I encountered last September in the same general area (believes he migrates here annually and feeds for a month or two before moving on). 
Getting hit by a G.W. adds a lot of perspective about this sport and I have to admit that I have had some serious thoughts about selling my kayaks and looking at a small boat.
For now, I'm still content with my yaks, but reality is, this was my third encounter with a G.W. in just over a year … It really messes with your confidence … Not sure I can handle much more.
For Now,
Life is still good in the Cove!
;0)
You are one of my heroes...with all the life and guts you have...keep on...life is good! :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
There is a lot of interesting data at the Shark Research Committe site.
http://sharkresearchcommittee.com/statistics.htm
According to that chart, there has only been 5 kayaks attacked by sharks...? We know for a fact there’s been more than a dozen in the last 10yrs btwn Lompoc & Shelter cove.

http://sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.
True, that's odd. The link above  shows lots more, including the recent Inn Keeper incident.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Bunny

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
It appears that the landlord is fond of blue
Glad your ok underwear is cheap price to pay for a semi fun day on the water
Frank
P.S good reminder for me to turn on my ss sometimes  I forget
2012 ~ 1st Place ~ Yakhopper/FW ~ Silver Lake Trout (Mackinaw)

strawhat20

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2018
Crazy!!! Thanks for the story and glad you are OK.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
It appears that the landlord is fond of blue
Glad your ok underwear is cheap price to pay for a semi fun day on the water
Frank
P.S good reminder for me to turn on my ss sometimes  I forget

Maybe first choice for the LL is yellow, second choice are mirage drive flippers?

Could be they just want these other large predators (fish catching kayaks) to leave their claimed territory?
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

El Cap

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I really don't think the color of your kayak matters.  Mine is green/blue.  After my initial encounter on Aug. 1 2017 when I got slammed and blasted out of my kayak, I finally got the nerve to go back out at the same spot, with the same buddy, almost exactly 3 months later.  We were out about 30 minutes when an even larger white shark (14') swam alongside my port side, dorsal fin cutting the surface, turned hard around my bow, then swam along my starboard side.  I poked him (her?) below the dorsal fin with the tip of my 6' rod, that's how close it was to me.  Needless to say we paddled in. 
I have a theory that if you see a shark it isn't going to attack you, as they are ambush predators (albeit they are mistakenly identifying your kayak as prey).  If you see them they are just checking you out.  But I would, and did, paddle in.  It's when you don't see a shark that you need to be concerned - which is pretty much every time you are out in waters along this coast.  Especially Aug. thru December.  I have access to a nice boat now, and have decided to pretty much stop kayak fishing around here.  Definitely I don't recommend kayaking solo. 

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Thanks for speaking about your experiences. Getting hit will have one contemplate life and the chances one takes for the thrill of fishin in shark infested waters. Seeing two of them in the same spot says you've made the right call.
I was as I call it"south african style blasted" also. Bean Hollow is where it took place. My kayak is yellow. I do not go out along the san mateo coast any longer. It is hard to relax and enjoy it.

Stay safe my brothers and sisters!
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.