Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:32:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:07:13 PM]

[Today at 08:09:27 PM]

[Today at 07:50:07 PM]

[Today at 07:29:14 PM]

[Today at 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[Today at 06:21:18 PM]

[Today at 06:03:14 PM]

[Today at 06:03:07 PM]

[Today at 06:01:09 PM]

[Today at 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[Today at 05:23:24 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Salmon  (Read 8866 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
jnthn,

I might be up for Point Pinos on opening day, if you can fit into my spare wetsuit you are welcome to use it.

Chef,

What does the boat traffic look like down that way around the opener?

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
well i am crazy, i don't were a wet suit, the lauch there is very easy i never get wet, i generally have my rods and ff out. the boat traffic is not bad, every body goes north pretty much, but if we catching salmon in good numbers over here then i am sure they will more boats. like always  :pupi peeled. if the salmon aren't going , there is great jonny bass with some calico fishing right along the way. chef

p.s. and yes the launch point is right to left of the pull off were the big island is. you can't miss it it is the only one were ice plant and grass is growing that you can walk on at low tide.  steve
live life to the fullest!!!!

Anonymous

Sounds like my kinda launch.  Since rockfish/ling won't open until July, I guess I'll de-barb the hooks on some Braid jigs I bought and try a little catch and release.  Any good mixed bottom there where halibut can be had?

Jonathan

jnthn

From BATC's Dynamo Dan:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Well I launched out of Moss at 6:00 AM went way out side, followed the edge of the canyon. About 45/10. There was some schools of fish down about 200' Also some good marks on the bottom. Was smaked twice on the down rigger Jack mackrel rig. No fish.
Ran inside as the wind picked up. Ended up roughing it into Moss in a 30 to 40 mph wind for the laste ten miles.

Water is cooling down to 55.2"F and green. Salmon should be hot on the inside (Soquell Hole, Soldiers, the canyon outside of Moss) I think my temp sensor may read cooler than true.
Dan"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Pt. Pinos launch happens, maybe we can leave a kayak-carrying vehicle at Monterey harbor so we have the option of paddling around the corner?  Is that even a reasonable idea?

Jonathan

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I love how it's possible to dig up info on the web.

Here's a link to Acme Mapper, showing the Pt. Pinos and Pacific Grove area. Note Lover's Point Park in the SE corner. It's less than half the distance to Monterey proper. It might be 1 1/2 miles to Pt. Pinos, walking distance if you need it. You can see an aerial photo image, if you click on "image" in the theme box.

http://mapper.acme.com/?lat=36.632494&long=-121.92507&scale=12&theme=Topo&width=4&height=3&dot=Yes

Here's a link to the California coastline project, showing a closeup of Lover's Point Park. If you click on the center, large photo you will get an even larger picture of the same image. (It is slow to download.) The detail is incredible. You'll see there is off street parking and the landing zone is well protected by the point and the seawall. They even rent kayaks at the park! I can also just see a corner of my pop's place.

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/captionlist.cgi?searchstr=lover%27s+point+beach%2C+pacific+grove+CA&flags=0

I hope this helps you guys in your planning.
The Other Bill

• View Profile
point pinos launch (  n36 28. 191 w121 56 .218) this is were we will meet , for who ever wants to join me weather premiting. i do plan on padding around to san carlos boat ramp, i am luckly i can walk home in five min. yak in tow. as for the bottom yes it is  rock ,sand and kelp forest. we can reach very deep water very close to shore :smt005 , no more than a mile, bait fish are always in this area. i would aasume a early morning launch would be best. i planned on being there around 5:30 a.m. so we can hit at first light. who knows mybe someone will get luckly with a white sea bass, when they a round they like this area :smt020. well  i will post this in the hook up section. ciao for now. may we all have tight lines chef/steve  :fishing1  :fishing2

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
ok, so I'm a wimp. I'm comfortable with that.

No worries mate, I was just joshing with ya.

Check out this site for some SoCal sharks on a kayak.  This guy is awesome.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Kevin,

Check out Pisco Sicko's post above for the Cal. Coastline pic of the launch.

• View Profile
yes yes yes  :smt003 kevin

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Pisco's picture is of lover's beach.  Parking can be a pain over there, at least it was when I got SCUBA certified at that beach.  There are also stairs to traverse and a longer paddle.

The link I put up is further down the coast.  I looks like there is parking off the side of the road.  If the weather cooperates I think we would launch from here, right?

I think Lover's beach is a good 2nd choice, if there is a large shore break up the street.

Just my .02

• View Profile
yes kevin the one up the coast is better than lovers, and if not there is anthor one more better than lover as well. but our best choice will be pinos if there is nasty weather were we can't luanch from there then the day is a scub. you will see chef steve

jwsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I'd totally like to come....I'm way overdue, I mean, like [times ten-to-the-27th] to meet and fish with you guys.... but my body's going to be 3,000 miles away.

Judd

anything