Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Salmon  (Read 8853 times)

jnthn

I think hitting a BB-brain with a BB would be tough.  I've been thinking of adding a dullish axe-like blade, semi-circular in shape to avoid snagging on the net and other things, to my homemade fish-billy for severing the spinal column at the base of the head - disconnect power source, as it were.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Seriously, Gaff, Fish billy.  you can do it, the SoCal guys do.  I will up here too.

I do have an air pistol though.....Hmmm....

Hmmm...  Either it is the or this is a real good idea.  Sharp point pellets, 8 shot cylinder...Hali stands no chance.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
If you stick your knife into the spine behind the head, that's curtains for the halibut.  No more flopping, guranteed.  They do still try to chomp at you though...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Here in Washington we catch Pacific halibut-- a small one is the size of a big California halibut. I've seen fish up to 40-50 lbs netted in a very big net. The 3 most popular methods of dealing with big ones (on PBs) are: (1)harpooning it with a hali harpoon with a detachable head attached to 50 feet of line- 20 feet up the line is a bouy; the far end is cleated to the boat. (2) Roping the tail and dragging it around until it is dead. (Supposedly, they drown being dragged backwards). (3)Shooting it in the head with a handgun. (I wonder, what would my flare gun do to one? The possibility of a bad ricochet scares me.)

If I deliberately go out for halibut, I plan on using the harpoon and bouy. The same system worked for the Makahs when they took a grey whale a few years back.

BTW-- The  state record 'but is around 280 lbs!  (':smt118')

PS    I wonder how Howard McKinn, in Alaska, deals with big 'buts?
The Other Bill

Anonymous

I don't know Mr.McKinn but I bet he don't kayak for 'buts.  If I ever buy a PB I'll name it  "My Kayak".  Then I'll go to AK and catch 300lb 'buts from my kayak.  LOL

jnthn

Hmm.  My login timed out.  The guest comment above is mine.

jnthn

MolBasser,

I'm not saying it can't or shouldn't be done,  it's just not what I prefer.   I recommend new kayak anglers start with a net, but that's just a recommendation.

Pisco Sicko,

I don't recommend leaving an injured fish in the water near you.  A few years back in December I was paddling around the mile-buoy in SC.  I was on top of a school of bait and dropped an eight inch croaker down 25-30 feet to see if I could find a big fish hanging around.  Well, I did.  Dead calm glassy water was broken by a very fast moving VERY large shark that buzzed my yak 3-4 feet to my port-side.  My line followed the shark and I grabbed my knife and cut it as fast as I could.  It happened so fast I didn't get a good look but what I saw pass my face was the uper half of the tail fin poking up two feet above the surface.  That was the day I decided I HAD to buy a radio because I was all alone out there and no had way to call anyone.  Another time I was with a friend and he started mumbling stuff.  I asked what he was doing and he said there was a 6-foot blue bumping his floating bait tank.  He shooed it away.

Jonathan

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
gee's shooting halibut :smt017 last year with my fish gripper i landed two halibut one 19# and one 25# with no problem. i agree if you bring them to the yak nice and slow kepping there heads in the water there cool. then i slipp them into game clip, cut there tail and tie another rope around there tail for extra stranght. that when i don't have my gaff. when i did i got a 15# no problem and well all my big lings. i take the gaff and slip it under the gill plate of the ling so it goes right under the lower jaw. no gaff holes, no blood and good for catch and relase.

now my question is do you have to use a net with salmon, i know you are not aloud to touch them with a gaff but what about a fish gripper then no scales lost no hurt fish :smt017 . guys come may we need to make a trip to fish for big lings and rockies down in big sur i will be done with my cancer treament and ready to go. this sat. the salmon opener i am planning to go out off point pinos, last year i lost two one big one to a seal and the other was a shaker. the same time of year. chef
live life to the fullest!!!!

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Quote from: chefstefano

now my question is do you have to use a net with salmon, i know you are not aloud to touch them with a gaff but what about a fish gripper then no scales lost no hurt fish :smt017 . guys come may we need to make a trip to fish for big lings and rockies down in big sur i will be done with my cancer treament and ready to go. this sat. the salmon opener i am planning to go out off point pinos, last year i lost two one big one to a seal and the other was a shaker. the same time of year. chef

You are supposed to keep your first 2 legal salmon so you might as well use a net.  

I'm up for a RF trip to Big Sur.  Post when we get closer to the date.

I'm going to wait and see how the opener goes and where are they biting...  If I did launch on the openning day, I'll steer clear of Moss.  How is the launch at Point Pinos?  Does it get rough out there?

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
Quote from: Anonymous
I don't know Mr.McKinn but I bet he don't kayak for 'buts.  If I ever buy a PB I'll name it  "My Kayak".  Then I'll go to AK and catch 300lb 'buts from my kayak.  LOL

FYI---   Mr Mckim has caught and landed a 184 lb but from his kayak

check the picture at   http://www.yakfishalaska.com/
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
VERY large shark that buzzed my yak 3-4 feet to my port-side. My line followed the shark and I grabbed my knife and cut it as fast as I could. It happened so fast I didn't get a good look but what I saw pass my face was the uper half of the tail fin poking up two feet above the surface.

TOTAL whimp!

:smt003

Dude, that is the stuff dreams are made of.  Landing the big shark on the yak.  Did you recognize the species?  Lots of threshers are caught off of yaks in SoCal.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Howard McKim (I misspelled his name in my first post) is in Ketchican AK.
This link goes to his photo gallery, and shows a 184lb hali on his kayak (on the beach).  http://www.yakfishalaska.com/photos.htm

I just read an old post of his on the kayak4fish site, and he describes repeatedly clubbing a large hali--and then still losing it.

Up here you are much more likely to be injured by a large 'but on board, than a shark. Our water temps average near 50F year round.

I don't remember hearing of any halibut caught in our area under 20-25 lbs. (They are a different species.) Part of that may be that most 'buts caught here are down below 200' and the jigs/lures/baits are huge.(Most of the charters go miles offshore and some fish as much as 400' down.) Last year I caught a 40 lb while targeting rocks and lings, and broke off a larger fish. ( A mile off the beach in 100 ft of water in N Oregon.) Every year there are stupid PBers that drag a green halibut into their boat and then they and their boat get seriously trashed by the fish; broken bones and all.

It won't happen this year, unfortunately, but sometime I would like to organize a derby/event here in the NW. I can think of several sites that would be good candidates because they are far from a port, but have good launch sites near or at campgrounds. Because there aren't as many yakfishers up here, the fishing should be relatively untouched.
The Other Bill

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
lauch @ point pinos is very easy, free parking, little or no surf. yes if it is windy it can get nasty, but just like moss. what i do is lauch at pinos there paddle down the coast to san carlos boat ramp then walk home. come back later and get the car. you right out in the right water in 10 to 15 min. paddle if that. chef
live life to the fullest!!!!

jnthn

I HATE losing bets.  184lb zombie fish from a kayak - freakin awesome!  Too bad it did the usual zombie thing and got away.

ok, so I'm a wimp.  I'm comfortable with that.   The shark was not the eating kind, it was the get-eaten-by kind.  It wasn't a thresher or a blue - the tail was too vertical and light in color.  It was a salmon, mako or white.  And it didn't mosey on by, it was in full attack mode and passed me at 20MPH+-  Quite a shock when all is placid around you.  All I recall is thinking, "FUCK, that was huge!"  Anyway, I don't think getting hammed in deep water is very likely and I don't worry about it much.  Most attacks are in the surf-zone and I don't spend much time there.

Pisco Sicko,

Contest or not, it sounds like a good time.  You should also consider heading down this way for the albacore/kayak thing.

chefstefano,

Depending upon the fish and weather reports, I might be into that.  I've launched from the Monterey harbor and paddled out for salmon but not from Point Pinos.  I don't own a wetsuit, so I am weary of getting wet at the start of the day.  I just picked up an Avet SX today, so I am eager to try it out.

Jonathan

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Chefstefano-

Do you lanch from the little pullouts on the road on the north side of Pt. Pinos? I was scoping them out when I was there this past Oct. My dad lives about a block above Lover's Point park in Pacific Grove. LP is nice and close, but would be a chore going up and down the stairs.

jnthn--

I'll be sure to let you guys know when I get back down to that area. It would be cool to connect with you guys, and see if your fish will fall for the techniques and lures I use up here.

TL
The Other Bill

anything