Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: [KFM] New Offshore Kayak From Wilderness Systems  (Read 6249 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
It's true that we're for the most part 'inshore', but some of us have ventured out more and more often to 3 miles and more offshore.  While it's still not as extreme as being past that major barrier at 10 miles where you're completely at the mercy of wind and swell with very little recourse if conditions change rapidly, being 2 to 5 miles out, especially off the north coast between Cape Mendo and Oregon, can be a reality check for sure. 

An 'offshore kayak' should address the need for ability to cover miles (obviously!), ability to deal with changing wind and swell conditions, stability, and performance when conditions deteriorate or the boat is swamped. 

Personally, I find stability to be the most important factor, as I can paddle my big, wide kayak 15 miles in mild to moderate wind and swell conditions with no problem.

An 'offshore kayak' will help you survive if you're offshore and things go from lake-like to nasty.  The bottom line in the worst conditions is whether you can stay on the boat, IMO.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Offshore can mean various distances from the edge of kelp beds to out of sight of land. I think two to five miles off the beach in a fishing SOT kayak is probably getting close to "this is as far as we go" distance. Most everybody here at some time has experienced getting pretty tired getting back to launch point after venturing out a bit too far. I think whatever fishing kayak hull comes closes to expedition SIKs,  the true offshore kayaks, would be most useful for distant offshore fishing

Charles

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I don't think distance from shore is as important as distance from launch.  We can encounter the same water conditions right off the edge of the kelp bed as we can 5 miles off the beach.  What if I paddled 5 miles from the launch to a distance kelp bed.  The main difference is that I can bail out (assuming I have an adequate bail out point) if I'm closer to shore.  But if I chose to paddle back to the launch ... I can be paddling the same distance in the same slop.

Food for thought ...

-Allen

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Quite true that inshore conditions can be as difficult as five miles offshore but if you are a quarter mile offshore and have to abandon the yak you could swim to the beach. Five miles out and swimming is probably not an option so the kayak and kayaker better have whatever it takes to get ashore. The effort to go the five miles might be the same but the consequence of failure to do so is different
Charles

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Like others have said, its more condition oriented.  On the gulf and east coast "inshore" waters tend to be shallower and more protected  often with sandbars between "land" and the ocean so swell isn't as much of an issue.  When I think of an offshore boat on the west coast that needs to handle 8 to 15 foot mixed swell and big wind waves from the beach to several miles out.  Basically, when the water is big and "the sheep are out" i want something fast enough to get home and stable enough that I dont go grey doing so.  A boat with reduced weathercock that can tackle big following seas is a must as well.  It would also be nice to have sealed bulkheads or a place for airbags just in case it becomes a life raft.

So, 16 to 18 foot, 33inches wide, upswept bow but low stern and retractable skeg to combat weathercock...  Basically a wider more plastic Profisha with tweaks... Or a tweaked T160...

But these are just my thoughts sitting on the pot...

Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
yeah, I'd say "offshore" means a yak made to paddle 10-12 miles in some chop & wind, at least that's a general realm that I need in a kayak.

I like the idea of a slightly fatter T160 with a rod pod-type cockpit hatch. My only concern would be hull weight for cartop loading.

I've had my T140 since 2002 and it is just such a solid boat I wonder if I'll be able to replace it with something better. Right now, the only thing it is missing is a rod pod.

After paddling composite touring boats for years, and then a Prijon Yukon Tour, I agree that the WS plastic boats are the closest to those stiffer hulls. I will hang on to my T140 for as long as I have space to store it.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

I like the idea of a slightly fatter T160 with a rod pod-type cockpit hatch.

Right now, the only thing it is missing is a rod pod.

Tour, I agree that the WS plastic boats are the closest to those stiffer hulls.

Those  are pretty good ideas.  :smt001
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 07:02:09 PM by scarface »
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place
2012 Sonoma Slam 1st Place---Teamed w/ATD
2012 TRW 2 1st Place----Teamed w/ATD
2012 PIF Big Salmon Winner
2012 Fresh Kats Series Champion
2012-13-14 Team NCKA Kayak Wars 1st Place Team Overall

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I prefer the locking WS Orbix hatches to the "rodpod" style hatches. They're constructed better, safer, and I can easily store a 7ft one-piece rod while OTW. Plus it's way more comfortable on my crotchular region.
Not sure what's up with the Malibu-style hatch cover/kid seat on the new WS video? I wouldn't want something like that in 20kt wind.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I prefer the locking WS Orbix hatches to the "rodpod" style hatches. They're constructed better, safer, and I can easily store a 7ft one-piece rod while OTW. Plus it's way more comfortable on my crotchular region.
Not sure what's up with the Malibu-style hatch cover/kid seat on the new WS video? I wouldn't want something like that in 20kt wind.

Y'know I didn't even consider the actual hatch type. I was just thinking of the general idea of a decent sized cockpit hatch for rod storage while beach landing. I'm not familiar with the Orbix hatches so now I have to go look them up :smt002
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

RacinRob

• AOTY Committee
  • Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I've seen a shorter version of the front hatch in mock ups too.
http://WildernessSystems.com      http://ATPaddles.com
http://ShastaTackle.com               http://MacksLure.com

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff           Heroes on the Water Coordinator
Mack's Lure Pro Staff

2018 AOTY 2nd Place
2017 ARW Halibut 3rd Place
2017 Berryessa Salmon Slam MBF winner
2014 GS8 1st Place AOTD
2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars 1st Place--- Teamed w/ATD
2014 AOTY 3rd Place-Again
2013 AOTY 3rd Place
2012 Berryessa Salmon Slam  1st Place