Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:56:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: My Spectra gives up on me too many times  (Read 4937 times)

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
What did I do wrong? ChuckE pointed out that I need to have 1ft mono in front, connecting to JIG head. I will surely try that.
Eric... one 1ft is the very minimum you need, but I usually use a rod's length of 25# mono or florocarbon topshot.  I've found that a uni to uni knot is strongest way to join Spectra to mono.

After every snag or fish caught, I check for abrasion right above the snap connecting to my lure.  If it's roughed up, I cut that part off and re-tie.

I agree with Chuck on the shorter top shot compared to a longer one. I experimented yesterday when I fished with Art (on his boat) with Bill. I had two rods (with similar action - medium /heavy) and I had a longer top shot on one (about 10 ft.) compared to shorter one (about 3 ft.). I preffered using the shorter top shot cause I found it to be more sensitive. I usually tie a uni to uni knot when I start off but if and when I snag bottom and have to re-tie, I just put a barrel swivel to connect the braided line to mono - it's just easier doing this instead trying to tie a uni to uni knot when your in the water.

Code: [Select]
Beacause swivels do not go through guides very well for casting.
with a shorter leader, it's obviously not a problem. But then again, I personally don't cast when I'm rockfishing.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 08:51:45 AM by Mooch »

eyeatbay

• Salmon
  • Halibut 42"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Thanks for  answers from all of you - detailed and experienced advice than expected. I really appreciate the help from all of you. After reading this thread, i feel I have solutions in hand and I will put them into practice. In last few trips I has lost a few fish due to this problem. Wish they were not huge.  :smt002

bsteves

• Fish Nerd; AOTY Architect
  • Sea Lion
  • Better Fishing through Science!
  • View Profile Northwest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
But then again, I personally don't cast when I'm rockfishing.

Joel,

I'm surprised, I thought you were Mr. Lighttackle.    You really need to try rockfish on some light bass tackle or even an ultralight.  Go out on a nice flat day to an area you know is full of blues and blacks.   Cast some small swimbaits, 1/4 oz kastmasters, etc.. let them drop about 5-10 ft and slowly bring them in.  It's like fishing in a lake were every cast is a 3 lb bass.  The nice thing about this type of fishing is that you aren't dragging fish from 140 ft of water were they all end up dead and can actually catch and release till your heart's content.

Brian
Elk I Champ
BAM II Champ

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
But then again, I personally don't cast when I'm rockfishing.

Joel,

I'm surprised, I thought you were Mr. Lighttackle.    You really need to try rockfish on some light bass tackle or even an ultralight.  Go out on a nice flat day to an area you know is full of blues and blacks.   Cast some small swimbaits, 1/4 oz kastmasters, etc.. let them drop about 5-10 ft and slowly bring them in.  It's like fishing in a lake were every cast is a 3 lb bass.  The nice thing about this type of fishing is that you aren't dragging fish from 140 ft of water were they all end up dead and can actually catch and release till your heart's content.

Brian

Funny you mentioned that, after reading some the reports from the other light tackle guys (mol,Art Garcia and Scott Thornley) - I'll be gearing up for that pretty soon - sounds like fun!

The HMB jetty would be a perfect spot for that kind of fishing  :smt002

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Mooch,

The schools of blues that I fished this way, during the HMB tourny, were more like sub 1 lbers. But I had mucho love at Elk. And I had much more fun at Stillwater going shallow, rather than deep.

Your Clarus/Sedona setup is absolutely perfect for this. I'm using 6 lb Maxima. Since the ocean critters are a bit toothier than their freshwater counterparts, I do double up the line for about 6" before tying on the jig head though.

Regards,
Scott

FishFinder

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Eric,

I am curious about how old your line is.  This is my second season on my Spectra, I've always replaced mono each season at least but the price of the Spectra is a consideration.

My two cents fits in with the rest somewhere.  I tie about 6' of 15lb fluorocarbon to by 20lb Spectra with double uniknots.  I've come too close to falling out when I break the 20lb attached directly and added the 15lb fluoro as weak link and for its visibility characteristics.  It's been working real well for me.   I always use a palomar knot to the swivel or jig.

Pete
aka petemaranda

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile

doug (marmite) asked for a diagram of sorts. 

there are many ways to skin a cat here, this is just the way that works for me.

I have a few of the swivel to duolock leaders pretied. you can substitute a leader with bait hook and stinger treble,
or a sabiki, or a WMA, or a barbless circle for mooching, etc.

I rig the slido to ball bearing snap swivel on shore and reel up to the tip top guide for transport.
this would be for salmon trolling, mooching or even rockfishing, it's all purpose, but if you want to cast, you have to cast gently, you can't really zing it or your spectra might go. the ball bearing swivels are expensive, but
they are nice to have; a lot less tangles.

like mooch, if I snag and lose all the hardware on the water I will often just tie to the swivel on a new
leader rather than replace the slido and ball bearing swivel. depends on what kind of fishing we are
doing.

my duolock might be small, just replace them if they look corroded. the swivel is huge, I have a pile of
various sizes I got in some ebay tackle box lot, that one is the biggest, most are smaller.

J
john m. airey

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
J.

Why two swivles in a row, is that not redundant?  I usually use a loop on the top of my leaders.  Do you thnk that the swivel provides a stronger or easier connection to the cross lock swivel?
Etienne

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

etienne, it is redundant, but it minimizes the knots that need be tied on the water.

it makes it easy to switch in new leaders that have been pre-tied and brought in ziplocs. just clip them on.

If you don't run out of pre-tied leaders and don't break off the ball bearing swivel, you don't have to tie a knot on the water all day. If you do break off the ball bearing swivel, you can tie direct to the swivel on a leader you pull out of a bag if you don't want to re-rig the mainline termination. fishers choice on that one.

likewise, the only reason to use the duolock is to get a little more action on the lure and be able to switch lures without retying.  it is 1/3 inch of metal above the lure that can't get abraded. it is also redundant and there
for convenience only.

I just find this setup the easiest to use out on the water, there is nothing special about it vs any other setup.

I often come home with a couple abraded leaders, I toss those but re-use the swivel and duolock.

I usually cut off the 12" of doubled spectra but not much more each time I fish.

J

john m. airey

Marmite

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
jmairey,

Thanks for your help.

Doug

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Wow you have mad whiteboard skills doc, very PHD like  :smt003

One small suggestion is to replace the top swivel with a surgeons loop then you can just loop your big swivel on and off.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
bill,

it's actually an 8x11 sheet of paper, roller ball and digicam, but in my prime I could wield 4 colors at once on a whiteboard.

my whiteboard kung-fu was strong. not as strong as mooch's digi-photo and emoticon kung-fu of course....

say, remember those whiteboards that could copy to an 8x11 sheet? how 90's!

J
john m. airey

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
White board is so 90s....

How is your Power Point?

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Ah J you disapoint me, I was positive you had one of those mini whiteboards.  :smt010

If you ever need to raise VC money Powerpoint with no test is the way to go, oh and only 12 slides. :smt003

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Another benefit of a heavy leader is you can handline most fish into the boat without getting too close to hooks, spines or teeth.   I use 5' of 50lb ande.

Some jigs are pretty bad about nicking the line, diamond jigs in particular require a very heavy mono leader because they tend to hook the leader and scratch it with their barb while your knot gets pounded against the bottom.
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

anything