Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:20:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Recommendations on a New Rod  (Read 5747 times)

Marmite

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I know there was another recent post on this subject but I thought I'd start a new thread to see if there are some recommendations for my specific needs:

I have two rigs:

1)  Shimano Calcutta 400B reel with a Laminglass Inshore Classic:  IC70 MH: 7' 0" ;  12-25 lb;  1/2-2 1/2 oz

2)  Tekota 500 LC reel with a G Loomis GL2 HSR 1021c;  8' 6" (Salmon and Steelhead rod)

I recently caught a relatively small lingcod at Monterey (28"/8.5 lb) with the Loomis rod and found I had difficulty because the rod did not have enough stiffness in the but.  This made it hard for me to net the lingcod because when  I had it up to the surface and was trying to lead the fish closer to the kayak I had to hyper-rotate the rod behind me and the rod still flexed so much that the fish kept backing off and I thought I would lose him.  Finally, I did net him but not without a good deal of consternation.  I hate to think what I'd do with a really good sized fish.  So before buying another rod I thought I'd solicit some expert advice from the people who best know the characteristic needs of the kayak fisherman (as opposed to the sales personnel at Mel Cotton's or Fisherman's Warehouse.  My Laminglass is quite a bit stiffer but is a two piece.  I just bought 300 yds of 30 lb Spyder Wire so I guess I need durable guides as well.

I'd prefer a two piece for convenience and stowability but some have already said they don't prefer a two piece so I'd like to know the "cons".

Thanks,

Doug

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Shimano Trevala 6'6" either one piece or 2. Amazing RF rod, real light with a lot of backbone. Pretty cheap at $99 as well. I love mine. I paired it with a Avet SX for a super light setup that will handle pretty big fish.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
I use the Shimano Trevala rod for RF / ling as well (paired with a CaucuttaTE) = IMO: great combo!

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
I use the same Loomis rod that you do and I actually like it.  Yes, it lacks lacks a bit of backbone but I've not had problems landing fish with it.  It's caught lings in the mid teens and butts in the high 20's weight wise.  It's the first rod I reach for these days whether I'm fishing salmon, lings, california butts, stripers, or rockies.

-Allen

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005

I'd be surprised if those setups are not adequate.

I think you just need more practice landing decent fish.

if you horse it in right at the end, with drag on and stiff rod, it can pop off anyways.

rushing the landing isn't such a good idea.

J
john m. airey

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
The Hot Shot Rods (HSR) are a very good choice for a multipurpose rod, but probably not the best choice for rockfish jigging IMO.   Great for mooching salmon, and life baiting for butts, stripers, etc... where you're not concerned about horsing a fish out of structure.  I have a 1024 HSR (15-30#) that I use for all of those applications and have caught lings on it as well, but it isn't ideal for jigging.

The IC70MH is should be a great rockfishing rod for 2-3 oz irons and jigs with spectra.   It's roughly equivalent to rod that I use for my lighter jigs.

The rod I use when I'm targeting big lings and using larger jigs, is a 15-30# rated E-glass rod with a moderate/fast action.  It has lots of power in the butt section to horse on a big fish and get it out of the rocks, and the moderate action provides a good shock absorber for the spectra line.  It doesn't have a "live bait" style tip but rather more of a stiff tip which is better for jigging applications.

I'm currently building a 15-30# rated Rainshadow composite rod that will be my new ling stick (everyone needs more rods right) with the same strength and approximate action as my E-glass rod, but much lighter weight.

If I were you I'd give the heavier version of the Trevala rods a serious look.  I'd also look at the Loomis Pro Blue series rods and the Lamiglas Tri-Flex Saltwater rods (if you can find them anywhere).  You might also consider the next heavier version of the Lamiglas IC series which seem to be some great rods.

As for guides, all of the modern day ceramics will hold up just fine against spectra lines. 

As for 1pc vs 2 pc... it's almost completely a matter of personal preference.  You'll have more options in 1-piece rods and that's about it.  You shouldn't notice any loss of sensitivity or performance with this kind of fishing with a 2-pc rod.

That's my two-cents.

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
Agree that the 1021 is not ideal for jigging.  I put in into duty for jigs up to 4 ounces when using 20# spectra with no problem.  With mono, it gets a bit too "stretchy".  And with 6 ounces or more, I'm probably not getting the jigging action I want, but I usually am jigging with 4 ounces or less, expecially in 60 feet or less. I  must admit I'm looking for a new rod for 6-8 ounce jigging and for livebaiting large baits for lings  I do put some light duty tuna rods into action for these purposes, but the rodd I'm using is a bit too stiff for my liking, at least for this application.  More rods ... that's all I need, more rods!   :smt005

-Allen

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Erik,

I was looking at the Rainshadow catalog just a couple days ago too. Were you thinking IMU875 and IMU876? 

Scott

KZ

• Sea Lion
I'm actually building an SWS70MH which is RX4 Graphite / Composite.   

Got the grips installed and it's feeling pretty nice.  More moderate action than the Pac Bay XG70L and not as fast as a tip but a bit more power in the butt.  I'm thinking it'll really be nice with spectra line for those 4,6, or 8 oz. jigs with huge twistertails and swimbaits.

Erik   

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
shimano trevala....

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Just one other tidbit on the Trevala, the guys at Fisherman's Warehouse said no one has returned one broken yet. They say even the ugly sticks come back broken all the time. Maybe it is just cause it is so new but something to think about anyways.

KZ

• Sea Lion
The OPS in RP has had a few of them returned broken.  The breaks were in the very butt section under the grips.  Makes sense... with the moderate action, under full load (or over load) almost the entire load will be in the very butt section close to where your hand rests on the grips.

Not that this is in any way indicitave of a problem... it isn't... they are great rods and an excellent value. 

Any rod can be broken... and in my experience almost all cases of broken rods are angler-caused. 

EK

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Marmite

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
What does the "OPS in RP" refer to?

KZ

• Sea Lion
Outdoor Pro Shop in Rohnert Park  ... sorry   :smt002

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Omar

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
I tried looking up the Trevala ? on Bass Pro and the Shimano site. Had no luck locating it. What type of classification does the rod fall into? Saltwater, freshwater, trolling........ I am trying to find out what you guys/girls use out on the big water. Can't wait for paddlefest to get a lot of questions answered.

Thanks,

Omar :smt017

anything