Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:39:50 PM]

[Today at 04:07:02 PM]

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayak Rappelling and RPT  (Read 2040 times)

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
  • View Profile FIN + FORAGE
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
STORY TIME and REPORT: Fathers day weekend 2019. Jess, Squiggles and I had all day family plans on Sunday (Roaring Camp), so I got the unusual green light to double dive Friday night and Saturday morning.

Dive 1) Friday night, Nico, Sam and I went to stare at the sand because I really want to cook some halibut, but after 4 of us (including Big Jim who was getting out when we were getting in) combed the bottom and came up buttless. Just a week before my buddies all limited so it was a bit of a bummer, but I did find a few trigger fish near some random structure that had some really small crevices (where these fish like to hide). I decided to take one because I didn't get one yet this year and I wanted to cook it again. Last year I did Trigger Fish 3 ways and it came out rad! Recipe Here) We swam a pretty good distance looking for butts but no luck outside of one that looked just shy of legal, although we did play with several skates,  a school of undersized stripers, and a bunch of small squid (which you could grab by hand). We got out of the water around 10p. I didn't notice until I got home but the trigger fish had some kind of flesh and fin eating disease. I decided better not eat it, it was in pretty bad shape. Bummer...

Dive 2) Ohhhhhh man. Saturday morning. Just a few hours of sleep and I was up and loading my yak. I've been trying to get to this one spot at least 4 times but the swell was always popping too hard to initiate lowering a kayak down a cliff (and back up). This time was different. It was far from ideal, but myself and the two guys I was with (both >90ft freedivers) wanted a fun story to tell. So I broke out the rappelling gear and 80' rope. We had a local advise us not to go out in the big 5-6ft swells... but we graciously mentioned we're all certified freedivers and have been out in much worse but promised to come back in if it got too hairy. I hope you guys don't recognize the cliff in the photo that we had to rappel and climb down because I want to keep this spot on the DL... but suffice it to say there are some high grade fishies here. You know it's going to be a good day when you are the first one off your yak and in the water looking into a school of blues where the smallest in the school is bigger than most other schools you see around the usual Monterey spots. Swell was definitely up and down, surge was kind of odd and circular at times (not predictably pushing one way or the other) but the visibility was a pretty clear 35'. Didn't find any big lings (as is unfortunately usual for my MO, but we saw large every other kind of RF). We were all super selective on what we shot - I took 2 blues at 16.5" and 16" and a black and yellow (I thought I was going to upgrade my DOTY submission, but was just .25" short at 13" (those things are naturally small, ya know). CJ got a nice greenling and Giray got a couple fat blues.

With a steep shore break on the return, I came in first to help the other two in case of yardsaleage. Thankfully, despite it being a struggle bus of a landing, no one tipped flipped or dipped. Upon climbing back up the cliff, we had a nice system worked out where one of us was on the bottom collecting the gear and climbing it up to hand it up to the next guy who would take it up and hand it up to the top guy who piled it at the top and climbed back down. Conveyor belt rock climb status. Someone else that had climbed down snapped a photo (while laughing) of us hoisting the yak back up the cliff with the help of an ATC, webbing and the 2 guys helping guide and reduce yak damage. We were all so pumped on the wonderful adventure and to make it back to safety, mostly unscathed. We met a gal living in her truck at the top who was interested in our fish so we gave her some to cook. SUPER fun dive and can't wait for the next window of great conditions to do it all again. I'm super sore in all kinds of muscles but it was totally worth it!

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
FIN + FORAGE - Founder                  www.finandforage.com

Slappyjfinley

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Dang man! A++++ on the work you guys put into this! Sounds pretty rad!

-j
It’s the FU**ING Catalina wine mixer!

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Love the cliff shotappata!

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Dang man! A++++ on the work you guys put into this! Sounds pretty rad!

-j

The diving structure was surreal. It's like a neighborhood of house sized boulders where the top is maybe 15-20 fow and the bottom is 40-55fow. Super cool exploring everything! I love finding new spots and having them pay off.

Love the cliff shotappata!

Hahah that's definitely what it felt like!!! I just removed the background to hide "the spot"  :smt044
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
“mostly unscathed”

Love it!
Happy First Father’s Day
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
“mostly unscathed”

Love it!
Happy First Father’s Day

Thanks Johnny!

I hope you got a nice end of shift morning striper hunt going and if no striper, at least you had a tall can, right?!

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Wldrnshntr

• Sea Lion
  • Work hard play hard
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
http://wall-acepainting.com/index.html
What we learn to do, we learn by doing- Aristotle   We few, we happy few, we
band of brothers. - Shakespeare
2009 Stump yard sale 1st place
Clear lake stormtrooper 2010
Del Valle How stormtrooper 2011
RBCII  2011 3rd place Big Fish

kayakjack

• Sea Lion
  • kayakjack
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thanks for the report. I don't think you have to worry about a bunch of people showing up at your spot to rappel down a cliff for a few rockfish.

TheKeeneroo

• Salmon
  • Eric
Thanks for the report. I don't think you have to worry about a bunch of people showing up at your spot to rappel down a cliff for a few rockfish.

Only the spry, adventurous ones ;)

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007

Only the spry, adventurous ones ;)

Which is about what here? 1.63%?  :smt003
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Blowing up that merced river spot!  :smt005