Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Consumnes River Preserve today......not a good day for a swim!  (Read 845 times)

kokoloco

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
We launched at 6:30 with hopes of big fish…….not so fast.  We had a really low tide and some areas required us to “walk” our yaks across some thin spots.  One of our group had a FF problem and when trying to pull along side of me he capsized his Outback.  We weren’t in a shallow area so he had to swim for it.  He’s really new to yaking so it was sort of a cluster F.  He made it to shore amongst the mud and downed trees but his yak was upside down and stuck mid stream with his rods in the holders pinning it in 7 feet of water not to mention his teathered Mirage drive anchoring it securely to the bottom. 

There were 2 of us still in our yaks but unsure how to help the situation.  I went downstream a few hundred feet to see if there was a sandbar we could try to beach the boat but instead found deep water and a huge log which bent the hell out of my Mirage drive. 
Still able to peddle I headed back to the truck to get a rope in hopes of dragging the yak ashore.  When I returned 20 minutes later the wet yakker had swam out to the stranded boat and somehow broke it loose enough to pull it over to the shore where he righted the boat.  The rear hatch was “open”……..damn!!  He bailed out his boat the best he could and was able to hop on with “most” of his gear.  He did lose a nice baitcaster and some tackle but came away alive……it could have turned out real bad. 

That was enough for me so I called it a day and limped back to the launch with out hooking a single fish. No photos today as it was elbows and assholes for while.  Now how to fix this drive………
Emperor of the World

kokoloco

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
We launched at 6:30 with hopes of big fish��.not so fast.  We had a really low tide and some areas required us to �walk� our yaks across some thin spots.  One of our group had a FF problem and when trying to pull along side of me he capsized his Outback.  We weren�t in a shallow area so he had to swim for it.  He�s really new to yaking so it was sort of a cluster F.  He made it to shore amongst the mud and downed trees but his yak was upside down and stuck mid stream with his rods in the holders pinning it in 7 feet of water not to mention his teathered Mirage drive anchoring it securely to the bottom. 

There were 2 of us still in our yaks but unsure how to help the situation.  I went downstream a few hundred feet to see if there was a sandbar we could try to beach the boat but instead found deep water and a huge log which bent the hell out of my Mirage drive. 
Still able to peddle I headed back to the truck to get a rope in hopes of dragging the yak ashore.  When I returned 20 minutes later the wet yakker had swam out to the stranded boat and somehow broke it loose enough to pull it over to the shore where he righted the boat.  The rear hatch was �open���..damn!!  He bailed out his boat the best he could and was able to hop on with �most� of his gear.  He did lose a nice baitcaster and some tackle but came away alive��it could have turned out real bad. 

That was enough for me so I called it a day and limped back to the launch with out hooking a single fish. No photos today as it was elbows and assholes for while.  Now how to fix this drive���
[emoji35]

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Emperor of the World

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Replace bent shaft or remove and straiten in vise a little at a time. Get new parts.  :smt001Glad everyone's ok!!! :smt007
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

Outbackmike

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Called our good pal Fish junky for a report. Told me what went down. Very scary. said it took all three of you to get the water out of the yak. That why its good to have friends with you. Glad you guys are safe. Told fish Junky we all need to fish soon. Be good to met you.

RosevilleYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Wow... not the day you guys were hoping for. This is why I have been a bit hesitant hitting rivers and biggest worry when I go out on my own. Good that you went as group. 
The side arms of the delta seem to be at least moving slow enough that you have chance not to have run away kayak leaving you alone in water waving bye bye.
I actually went out today first time the delta launching from Georgiana Slough Fishing Access.
From Roseville I was happy to be on water at 8.... not sure how you guys manage 6:30 launches.

Definitely saw tons of fish on the FF, but don’t have right technique and set up to get the bites I guess. I tried trolling deep diving crankbaits, spinnerbaits and a RatlTrap and in end some jerk sits but no bites. Forgot some top water baits as some areas definitely looked promising.
. Still nice 3 1/2 hours on the water before the boaters show up.

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Sorry Sam. Some days shit happens.

Mijo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Sorry to hear that you guys had such a bad day. Glad that no one was hurt.

anything