Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: June 24th Surf Zone Class for NCKA - River & Ocean Paddlesports  (Read 1307 times)

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Update as of 6/3....So, it looks like June 24th will be the first Surf Zone Class for us NCKA members.  At the moment, myself and Mark L are set to go.  For those of you that just joined this thread if you have further questions please feel free to ask Jennifer Yearly directly   jyearley@gmail.com.

Here is what she recommends for preparation for the class...

..... all folks need to do to sign up is to contact me to get on my list - I can chat with them a bit at that time. I'll contact everyone on the list early the week of the class to provide logistical details and generally touch base. Folks can pay by cash or check when we meet.

One thing that would be important for students in the class to be aware of in advance is to be sure they come dressed for immersion in cold water (for instance 3mm wetsuit with a splash jacket) since I can promise that people will be spending time in the water and it is easy to become chilled very fast. Bringing extra warm dry clothing  of synthetic fabrics (fleeces, for instance) is also highly encouraged so that people don't become chilled while on the beach (also can happen quite quickly, especially when wet). People should be sure to bring a helmet, as this is important safety equipment in the surf zone. If people have any questions about any of these things, they are more than welcome to contact me for additional information.

A few weeks ago I inquired River & Ocean Paddlesports about there surf zone class for kayakers.  While I wasn't able to attend the class because of scheduling conflicts I began a dialogue with the instructors on whether this class is the best thing for us fishing kayakers -  to be more precise, us kayakers w/Sit On Tops.  They've offered to have a custom class for us NCKA people.  And when I asked what the class would cover here is what she, Jennifer Yearly jyearley@gmail.com, said.  (see below)  In no way am I affiliated with this organization and I apologize if this not the correct protocol for introducing vendors to our forum.  Personally, I'm just concerned about my and others safety on the water.

As I see it, one of the benefits of doing a custom class for NCKA would be that we could focus on folks paddling sit-on-top kayaks. In general, most surf zone classes are geared towards people in sea kayaks, and particular types of previous formal training are required. My thought on this class would be that the participants would probably all be on sit-on-tops and that the amount of previous formal training would be sparse to none. As I see it, the core goal of the class would be to learn to launch and land safely through small surf. In order to achieve that, we will spend some time learning to "read" the surf zone, to assess hazards there, to understand surf forecasts, to employ technical strategies on the water to move forward through the region in which waves are breaking (whether that is to get out into the open water or to return safely to the beach), and to employ technical strategies for what to do when that timing turns out perhaps not to have been quite correct (as happens to all of us from time to time). Does that sound like what you think your group might be looking for? Let me know if there is anything else in particular that you think would be of interest and we can see what might be feasible.

General pricing would be $109 per student for a half day, $129 for a full day. If the class is small, a half day would be just fine to cover the material. I can check my schedule availability and let you know a series of dates that would work for me. I will probably not be able to get to this until Sunday, but should absolutely be able to do so then. Thanks for your interest! We're very interested in working with you and your group.
Jennifer Yearly jyearley@gmail.com
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:25:46 PM by Ebayfisher »

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Since this is Gimme Shelter weekend you may not get much feedback for a few days, but looks good to me , no hard sell, just outlining a class, a vendor and price.

malikmoloch

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I'm definitely interested! I'm totally new so a class like that would be most helpful.
"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing."  -Babylonian Proverb

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Prolly won't be able to do it myself, but definitely a great idea---thanks for posting.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

KPD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I did a class kinda like that many years ago and it was very helpful (and fun).
Wanted to buy: Stealth ProFisha 575 or 525

KillBait

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I would be very interested in this type of class. Price seams reasonable. Let me know if you are trying to get group together and the dates.

Twid

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I’m interested in this class

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I would be very interested in this type of class. Price seams reasonable. Let me know if you are trying to get group together and the dates.

I'm glad to see the interest.  I plan to take the class, as well.  Jennifer should be getting back to me with time/date soon. 

I figure its kind of cheap insurance.  After watching Youtube videos of failed surf kayak launches I both laughed & became very concerned this can be dangerous and possibly lethal.  And it would be nice to get out in the ocean and catch a fat Ling Cod or something.  :smt003

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Sounds like a great idea for the newbies and even seasoned kayak anglers.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

Ling A Ding

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I would definitely be interested in the class. I took a kayak fishing class from Shaun White. Just a ton of information. Also good practice to.  All day preferably. Little self-rescue practice would be great as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:16:54 PM by Ling A Ding »
Wilderness System Radar 135

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
A few weeks ago I inquired River & Ocean Paddlesports about there surf zone class for kayakers.  While I wasn't able to attend the class because of scheduling conflicts I began a dialogue with the instructors on whether this class is the best thing for us fishing kayakers -  to be more precise, us kayakers w/Sit On Tops.  They've offered to have a custom class for us NCKA people.  And when I asked what the class would cover here is what she, Jennifer Yearly jyearley@gmail.com, said.  (see below)  In no way am I affiliated with this organization and I apologize if this not the correct protocol for introducing vendors to our forum.  Personally, I'm just concerned about my and others safety on the water.

As I see it, one of the benefits of doing a custom class for NCKA would be that we could focus on folks paddling sit-on-top kayaks. In general, most surf zone classes are geared towards people in sea kayaks, and particular types of previous formal training are required. My thought on this class would be that the participants would probably all be on sit-on-tops and that the amount of previous formal training would be sparse to none. As I see it, the core goal of the class would be to learn to launch and land safely through small surf. In order to achieve that, we will spend some time learning to "read" the surf zone, to assess hazards there, to understand surf forecasts, to employ technical strategies on the water to move forward through the region in which waves are breaking (whether that is to get out into the open water or to return safely to the beach), and to employ technical strategies for what to do when that timing turns out perhaps not to have been quite correct (as happens to all of us from time to time). Does that sound like what you think your group might be looking for? Let me know if there is anything else in particular that you think would be of interest and we can see what might be feasible.

General pricing would be $109 per student for a half day, $129 for a full day. If the class is small, a half day would be just fine to cover the material. I can check my schedule availability and let you know a series of dates that would work for me. I will probably not be able to get to this until Sunday, but should absolutely be able to do so then. Thanks for your interest! We're very interested in working with you and your group.
Jennifer Yearly jyearley@gmail.com

Here are the latest dates Jennifer has proposed for the class.  I'm planning to attend the June 24th class.

I've been through my schedule and found some available dates, and have cross-checked those dates with the tides forecasted because tide height can impact how friendly a beach will be for an introductory surf zone class.  The dates that I have open that look the best with the tide situations are: June 24th, July 7th, July 8th, and July 22nd. I am thinking we would run this class at Miramar Beach in Half Moon Bay. It would be very helpful for me to try to firm up a single date within a week or two. Could you check and see whether any of these dates would work particularly well for people in your group?

Thanks! Please let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to try to answer them.

Ling A Ding

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Interested in July 7, 8, or 22nd is good with me.  June 24th is bad for me. I don't know if I have enough prerequisite. I did take intro kayak back in the 80s. I took kayak fishing from cck about a year ago.  All day preferably. Throw in a little self-rescue practice would be great as well.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:17:58 PM by Ling A Ding »
Wilderness System Radar 135

Ebayfisher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
So, it looks like June 24th will be the first Surf Zone Class for us NCKA members.  At the moment, myself and Mark L are set to go.  For those of you that just joined this thread if you have further questions please feel free to ask Jennifer Yearly directly   jyearley@gmail.com.

Here is what she recommends for preparation for the class...

..... all folks need to do to sign up is to contact me to get on my list - I can chat with them a bit at that time. I'll contact everyone on the list early the week of the class to provide logistical details and generally touch base. Folks can pay by cash or check when we meet.

One thing that would be important for students in the class to be aware of in advance is to be sure they come dressed for immersion in cold water (for instance 3mm wetsuit with a splash jacket) since I can promise that people will be spending time in the water and it is easy to become chilled very fast. Bringing extra warm dry clothing  of synthetic fabrics (fleeces, for instance) is also highly encouraged so that people don't become chilled while on the beach (also can happen quite quickly, especially when wet). People should be sure to bring a helmet, as this is important safety equipment in the surf zone. If people have any questions about any of these things, they are more than welcome to contact me for additional information.

KillBait

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Dang, I will be out of town June 24th. If anyone is interested in the July 8th or the 22nd, I would be down to go those days. I can contact Jennifer if anyone is down for those days.
@ebay thanks for the invite and reminder.

anything