Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:12:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: X-Factor Review  (Read 2861 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
So I had a chance to take my new X-Factors out a couple times now and thought I'd let you know my thoughts so far.

The X-Factor is an outstanding ride.  Before I got the X-Factor, I had been paddling my Cobra Triple for most of my kayak fishing.  I paddle it either with a partner and lately, solo!  The Triple quite the barge to paddle solo and gives me quite a workout.  With the X-Factor, I feel like I can paddle all day with very little fatigue compared to the Triple, even when paddling it double.  The X-Factor is a nice stable and fast ride.  In fact, I feel even more stable on it that I do on the Triple, which says a lot as the Triple is a very stable boat.  It's also a very, very dry ride, much drier than the Prowlers which I've test driven extensively.  The Prowler is probably a bit faster, but I didn't notice it much because the X-Factor was more than fast enough.  It's every bit as stable as the Cobra Fish and Dive, which I've test driven extensively as well.  And it's much faster.  The tracking on the X-Factor was very nice too.  It has a nice ridge down the center line which has a very nice balance between tracking and maneuverability.  IMO, It tracks as well as a Tarpon 160, but has better maneuverability.

I've taken the X-Factor through a surf launch with no problems.  It plows though on the launch and I had no concerns about it.  I even had Charles out on my second X-Factor and he did very well this past weekend.  I'll let him post his own impressions.

The X-Factor also has tons of storage, so much in fact, that I don't know how to use it all.  The access points via the rear and center hatches are very usefull for gear and rod storage.  And the front hatch is easily accessible when sliding up to get to it.  I accessed it on the water with no problems whatsoever.  I had no complaints about accessing any of the hatches.  And the rear tankwell is monstrous.  It held a 5 gallon bucket well as it's molded to fit that or a crate, and it has ample room to spare in the tankwell when loaded with a bucket or crate.

Needless to say, I'm in love with this boat now and highly recommend it for the paddler looking for a good balance of stability, tracking, maneuverabilty, storage, and speed.  I'm very happy with my selection of this yak!!!

-Allen

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Hi Allen,

Congratulation to your new toy....( X- Factor ) I was going to buy this before, but I end up getting the Pro2 Tandem instead..thanks for sharing the information...

Kiel <><

- Malibu Pro2 Tandem -
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Allen:  So glad the long journey was worth it.  I love mine too for all of the same reasons.  It is a big yak, but for bigger guys like us its hard to beat.

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Sean,

You carry this X-Factor, right ? if you do, how much!!! I'm already thinking to up-grade mine...

Kiel <><

- Malibu Pro2 Tandem -
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

mendohead

• Sea Lion
  • 27.3 Lb 39" Santa Cruz, Ca. Butt on "Old Blue"
  • View Profile
Dear Fellow Yak Fisherman:

Anyone know where I could rent a X-factor for fishing?
 I would like to try other fishing Kayaks before, I shell out money for a OK Prowler.
                                                                  Thanks
                                                                  Ernie
FW 2009 RF Derby King Davenport, Ca.

TedA

Greets All,

I've trolled these boards for over a month and really want to get into the sport. I'm mostly fly fish for trout up in Northern CA and do an occasional Ab diving run. Anyway I'm interested in getting an X-factor too but it doesn't sound like there are any dealers on the peninsula or south bay. Is this correct?

---Ted

mendohead

• Sea Lion
  • 27.3 Lb 39" Santa Cruz, Ca. Butt on "Old Blue"
  • View Profile
Dear Ted:

Try contacting Sean (scwafish) He will go out of his way to make you happy. It's a little too far from me but, maybe Malibu Kayak will have a Kayak Demo. Day in the Bay Area.
                                                                                             Ernie

Name            Great White Kayak Company
Address          571 Saratoga Ct.
Ukiah, CA 95482
Phone          (707)468-7959
Country          United States
         Kayak Sales and Demos www.gwkc.com
FW 2009 RF Derby King Davenport, Ca.

polepole

• Administrator
Closest dealer I found for the Bay Area is Sean "scwafish" (see his post a bit above) who is based in Ukiah.  I bought from him and had them shipped directly from the factory to Seattle.

-Allen

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses, I will PM Sean.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the interest everybody.  I will be glad to bring an X-factor down for folks to try next time I fish to the south, or if enough want to do a demo I will set up a day on the bay for trying anything and everything we have.  For MK boats I am the closest, and only dealer.

Kiel: We sell X-Factors for $925.  That includes 3 hatches, and 2 rodholders.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
If I didn't already have a prowler (IMO, over rated), I'd look hard at the X factor.

I'm a big fan of the Cobra FND (tons of deckspace, storage and big hatches) and this model looks even better.
On paper, the X factor has a great compromise of space/storage, stability and speed.

The only downside to the FND is that its more work to paddle long distances.

However, Fred P. "Savage" took his FND all they way out to Pajaro a few years back, so a long trip is very doable.  Also, the Chef is a paddling machine on his BIG yak (Necky??) too.

My only advice is to get the one you want and don't cut corners to save a few bucks..  I went through several yaks until I found one that I'm reasonably happy with.

Stuart

polepole

• Administrator
So I had a few PM's asking me more about the X-Factors.  Here are a couple nits I had with it ... to be fair.

I did have some leakage on the surf launch.  Perhaps less than 1 gallon of water total after taking 5-6 waves over the bow.  Most likely the front hatch.  I did run my FF cabling between the hatch and the seal.  But Charles had about the same amount of water in his yak which was without FF cabling.

There are side handles that my hands rub every now and then while paddling.  I don't hit them often but it's enough that I noticed.  I tend to take deep full strokes with lots of motion and the paddle close to the boat.  Sean, what are these handles for?  They didn't seem particularly useful in handling the yak.  I'm thinking of taking them off as I found myself adjusting my stroke.

I had another question asked of me about the rod holder mounts.  I have 4 flush mount rodholder that came with the boats I ordered.  Two behind the seat and 2 mid-yak.  I trolled using the mid-yak ones and never had any interference with rods getting in the way, even with my long arms.  These holders were placed as far forward as the placement allowed.  I had to really stretch to get the rods out of the holders.  If you have shorter arms, you'd have to slide up to get to them.  They probably could have been placed 1-2 inches closer back and still not get in my way.  I don't have the far front mounted holders.  I think these would be too far forward to be useful.

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Allen:

The side handles are for picking up the boat.  They are at the balance point and with a little practice they are darned handy.  The have a cast in nut behind them, taking them off is ez.  For the front flushmounts, I throw my legs over the side and scoot forward just a pinch in one quick motion to get a bent rod out.  I could not live with out these any more and can't go back to the Scotty on the console style.

Try gently seating your hatch and the just buckling it snug, not tight.  MK front hatches are different, but seated right, leak very little, a gallon is way too much.

I love 99% of this boat, but after MANY hours in this boat  here are my nits with this boat...

The cupholder is way too shallow, and just makes me mad because I always try using it and then my "soda" spills!  The flags for the foot pedals can irritate my calves.  The pad eyes aren't centered over the bucket dent so you can't use them for securing a bait tank.  Otherwise me likey alot.

polepole

• Administrator
I hear you on the handles.  I see how they can possibly be handy.  I will say I was trying to carry the kayak on it's side to make it through the back door of the garage.  I don't think anything works well for this, other than having 2 people do it.  A little grunting and a little banging and all was good.

As I said I have to stretch to reach the front rod, but that is a good thing for me.  I usually have my hamstrings tighen up while paddling.  The extra stretching keeps them loose.  

Oh man!!  If I spill my beer because of that cup holder, I'm returning the yak.   :smt010

-Allen