Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:30:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 06:52:32 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: HMB MBF Tourney Report  (Read 9145 times)

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Grego, thanks for the heads-up.  I just discovered a bunch of excellent HMB derby pics at Cobra Kayak's Photo Gallery:
http://www.cobrakayaksfishing.com/phpBB2/album_cat.php?cat_id=1
Winner - 2023 ARW Halibut Derby "King of the Wall"
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
Man that ling gets bigger everytime I look at it!!!  :smt103

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
Man that ling gets bigger everytime I look at it!!!
You're not kidding!!! ... and I thought the Kevin's 22# ling is his avatar photo was big.

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Tremendous fish.  Thanks for sharing the results of the day.  When do we get the moment by moment description of finding and boating this awesome animal?

Also, the picture of all the boats lined up brings a smile.  

Pat
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

• "May the Fish be with You"
  • View Profile
I saw the fight and finish and it was awesome. Could only wish to have a drag screaming bend poling fish like that some day.
I'll wait til Brian posts his report so as not to steal his THUNDER - Congrats again Brian, and thanks for the cigs - we all lit up after that battle - it was like sex, it was that good.
~Elric

"May the Fish Be With You!"

Eagle Eye

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Great write up Bill. I want to thank all of the NorCal kayakfishermen who came to the derby.  It’s so much easier to show new & potential kayakfishermen than to try to explain to them what the yak nation is all about. I could just see the looks of amazement in their eyes as we all paddled in for the weigh-in.

I hate to name names because I always leave out a few but Mr. Lotilla was so kind and generous with the on the water info that I have to say thanks to him.  Lingcodlon also gave me some great advice as well.  And Doug, Chris and Linda of Half Moon Bay Kayak Co. were all so kind and made us feel like one of the family.

Half Moon Bay is an awesome fishing destination.  While I like all types of kayakfishermen, I feel a special kinship to the coastal kayakfisherman.  You guys are hard core and this weekend I was in the company of some of the very best fishermen on the coast – hell! in the world.

Below is a picture of my very first Cabezon -  caught out at Maverics.

I’ve posted (21) reduced size pictures on the Cobra Kayak Fishing web site.  They are in the album under fishing.  See the link below.

http://www.cobrakayaksfishing.com/phpBB2/album.php?sid=1f2fc97b1caa6a1e2b1cbbf88e58b70e

If anyone wants high resolution copies of any of the pictures just Email me @ eagleeye@cobrakayaks with the picture #s and I will be happy to upload them for you.

EE
John Pawlak

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
John "Eagle Eye", congrats on catching the biggest cab I've ever seen in person... and thanks for taking and posting those awesome pics on the Cobra site.

I was truly impressed by the kayak fishing knowledge and skill that you and the rest of Team Cobra demonstrated that day.  You guys did so well considering it was you were fishing unfamiliar waters... and Ed even came so close to winning the derby!

I got a chance to paddle your blazing fast Cobra Expedition and see your set up, but didn't get to ask you about it... so here are a few questions:

1) How do like the Expedition as a fishing platform?  Is it stable enough for long drifts in choppy conditions and for landing big fish?

2) What are those things you added to your rods?

3) And finally, what are you using to hold that cab, a mini game clip?

I only wished we could have stayed longer to see more of your seminar, but we were starving.  Too bad you guys couldn't join us for lunch at Ono's, we would have love to tap into your knowledge and experience some more.

Thanks again!
-Chuck Espiritu

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
John,

Glad you (and the rest of the Cobra Team) enjoyed your stay in HMB. You guys are more than welcome anytime  :smt023  IF you guys are ever in town again, please feel free to contact ANY of US on this site on the "hook-up" section. I'm sure you will have no problems getting some guys together for a Nor Cal fishing adventure!

FYI: fishing in HMB is great....BUT, that's only the tip of the iceberg.... :smt002

On the coastal side - we have: Halibut,Starry Flounder,sand dabs,Salmon,Stripers,Ling Cod, Cabezon, White Sea Bass, Thresher Sharks, Blue Shark, and other assorted rock fish.

We also have the Bay which produce sturgeon,stripers,bat rays,leopard sharks, seven gill sharks, Halibut,starry flounder.

Take care and hope we can keep more events like this going in the future....maybe a North vs. South competition  :smt066

gto19

• Salmon
  • View Profile
you guys kicked ass!!!ive never seen a ling that big and a cab that big.simply awsome.i was at grand prix races.o well    next time

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
2) What are those things you added to your rods?

Chuck, I believe it's a rod floatation device. I've seen them before - but I can't remember where. Maybe John can tell us where he got 'em.

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Wow, that ling is incredible. Did anyone get a pic of it with its mouth open? I bet it could swallow a cantelope whole.

Nice Cab EE.
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

Travis

That is a nice cabezon!  :smt023

Anonymous

Guys,
I put some photos on the Plastic Navy web site as well. Mostly early morning stuff. Here is a photo of the Brian on his way out to win fame, glory and cash. Look at him fly across the water. :smt002

][

Thanks again on the hospitality.

Ed Whited

http://www.plasticnavy.com/gallery.htm

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
....we should have taken a picture of the blah lah platter at Ono's  :fat

fantini4fish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Well heres my description of how the whole thing went down. I was drifting along in about 33 feet of water on the edge of the kelp and was getting the occasional snag on the kelp so naturaly when the monster took my jig i thought oh well it's just another snag so i applied some pressure to try and pop it loose when to my surprise my snag started screaming line off of my reel and started to pull me in a circle i think i let out a few yahoo's and that waswhen ricshaw asked if i needed a hand to which i gladly accepted,so when he paddled over to me i said that it was the biggest ling that i had ever caught. apon seeing it his reply was ( that is the biggest ling i,ve ever seen!) after he netted it he handed to me on his game clip and advised me to use the fish be good stick to wich i gladly did. so there you have it ,my account on catching LINGZILLA as eagle eye put it on one of the socal boards.thanks again to everyone there!!!!
WISHIN I WAS FISHIN!!!

anything