Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:19:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:42:27 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Need a recommendation on a good frying pan..  (Read 2514 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
If stuff sticks to your cast iron, do not wash it.  Let it sit to cool off. then use a steel spatula and scrape out all the stuff.  Once it's scraped clean, wipe it down with a dry paper towel.  Throw in some olive oil and heat it to where it just starts to smoke.  Cool it off, then wipe again with paper towel and store until next use.  There's never  need to wash the cast iron; remove the big stuff, burn it with oil, wipe clean.  That IS the seasoning. The more you do this, the more it will season and the less it will stick until it won't stick at all. 

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
If stuff sticks to your cast iron, do not wash it.  Let it sit to cool off. then use a steel spatula and scrape out all the stuff.  Once it's scraped clean, wipe it down with a dry paper towel.  Throw in some olive oil and heat it to where it just starts to smoke.  Cool it off, then wipe again with paper towel and store until next use.  There's never  need to wash the cast iron; remove the big stuff, burn it with oil, wipe clean.  That IS the seasoning. The more you do this, the more it will season and the less it will stick until it won't stick at all.
This is how I do it...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
"No sure, I've seasoned it in the past, but some things, like vegetables and fish, always seem to stick and I have to rewash it which ruins the seasoned coating. It works best for frying eggs and deep frying."

That's the problem right there! Ya don't wash cast iron!  You cook the pan on high till whatever is remaining in it burns to charcoal then wipe the crud out.  Set the pan to cool when done.
 Another trick is to cook the pan to hot, then add hot water. The immediate steam/boiling will help dislodge gunk.  Boil the water until gunk is freed then dump and wipe out.  Add oil after.
  Every time you wash it, you can wash some seasoning away
if you had a camp fire, you could toss the pan in the fire, cook the remnants to oblivion, remove and knock out the chared chunks.  When cooled some, wipe with some bacon grease (Or EEVO)
   Never wash cast iron!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 02:11:35 AM by CGN-38 »

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

I use lard but yeah this.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005

• View Profile
I use lard but yeah this.

Bacon fat is a good source for lard.  However, I use the stuff in so many other dishes, I rarely have any!  Ha! 

El Ceviche

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Sometimes I'll put some water in the cast iron and boil it in there to loosen up stuff that has stuck.  Makes it really easy to scrape/wipe down then...and doesn't do any damage to your seasonin'. 

• View Profile
My wife will use rock salt as an abrasive to get off tough stuff. 

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I have a heavy-bottomed 12" stainless/aluminum/teflon pan with lid that I like a lot, but the teflon started to stick.  Tried lots of things, but finally used coconut oil to season it, and it worked like new.  Wash it by hand with a rag, dry, heat, add oil, heat til it starts to smoke, let it cool, wipe out the excess oil.  It also helps to let the pan and oil heat up to cooking temp before putting the food in it, don't move the meat for a few minutes after starting to cook it, and when done, let the pan cool off the heat before washing it. 
   But I really like the way the Air Fryer (a small convected oven) cooks fish.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:50:12 AM by Fuzzy Tom »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
My wife will use rock salt as an abrasive to get off tough stuff.
Yup...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Wildrooster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
You have the rite kind of pan
Do you cook with water or tomatoes or other acid base products
How did you treat your pan are you scraping it or washing it with abrasive material
Was it a cheap pan if so you my need to sand it smooth clean it coat it and put it in the oven at 425 for an hour upside down cool wipe applie more oil and repeat
I always use a bit of oil when cooking fish but you my neeed to reduce your heat
A properly aged /seasoned pan is nonstick and cooks more evenly than the thinner faster heating pans that use chemicals to stop sticking
glade you made it
now let's get our fish on

Ascend FS128T
Hobie AI yellow

Tinker

For those with flat-top electric ranges that don't work with cast iron, non-stick coatings need to be seasoned, too, and stainless steel will be non-stick if you keep it highly polished.

• View Profile
Why wouldn't flat top electric ranges work with cast iron?  I have a portable one, inductive cook top I think it's called.  Requires Iron pots and pans to heat up.  Works great with my cast iron and I use it to heat oil in a cast iron dutch oven for deep frying fish out in the garage rather than smell up the house.

Tinker

Inductive stove tops are an entirely different animal than old-style heating elements.  My owner's manual tells me to never try to use cast iron pots or pans on my stove - but it surely doesn't tell me why.

big bear

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Probably cause the glass surface will get damage. From the rough surface on the bottom of cast iron. 

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

anything