Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:11 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Okay, got my new Avet, now what?  (Read 1299 times)

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
I just got my new Avet SXJ 5.3 G2 MC.

The Avet site says it takes 290yds of 50lb braid. I have a 300yd spool of 30lb PowerPro. Will that be enough? If it's not enough, how much mono top shot will I need over it.

Any other suggestions before I spool it up?
Thanks!
Andrew
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
What is the primary target fish for this reel?  If it's rock fish, that is plentiful. 
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
What is the primary target fish for this reel?  If it's rock fish, that is plentiful.

Salmon. 300 yards is plenty, but to get maximum cranking efficiency the spool needs to be full up. So that is my question. Do I put mono underneath or just load it with 30lb braid?

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Salmon. 300 yards is plenty, but to get maximum cranking efficiency the spool needs to be full up. So that is my question. Do I put mono underneath or just load it with 30lb braid?

I always back my braid with mono.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005

I always back my braid with mono.

me too, I put a nice bit of mono under the braid on the 3 avets I use, just to keep the spool at peak efficiency. I had one filled at a tackle shop and they taped the mono with masking tape to avoid the braid digging into it I guess. Found it when I pulled the line off to flip it.

Congrats on the new reel. My dad gifted me my first one and it still works beautifully. They do require some care when used for kayaking, but a good rinse after each session and mine lasted for 4 years before I had to send it in for factory maintenance (which Avet makes quite easy).
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I put mono only on my Salmon reels.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I had one filled at a tackle shop and they taped the mono with masking tape to avoid the braid digging into it I guess. Found it when I pulled the line off to flip it.
Great idea!!

reelfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I had one filled at a tackle shop and they taped the mono with masking tape to avoid the braid digging into it I guess. Found it when I pulled the line off to flip it.
Great idea!!
The tape is to create friction or the braid will just slip around the arbor of the spool.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I put some 30lb mono, then 300yds of 30lb braid, then filled the last little bit with 30 lb mono top shot. Looks good!
Thanks!

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
The Avet site says it takes 290yds of 50lb braid. I have a 300yd spool of 30lb PowerPro. Will that be enough? If it's not enough, how much mono top shot will I need over it.

Avet lies!!  :smt005

For reals, don't know what line they use, but the capacity often seems overrated.  For example, it says 420 yards of 50# braid for SX, I've never gotten it close even when it was spooled properly.  I stopped it around 350yds I think. 

You probably shouldn't have too much room left, that sxj is tiny. Maybe room for 10yds of mono topshot if that.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:55:21 PM by SmokeOnTheWater »
If you ain't first, you're last.