Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:00:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Honest Review - FS128t - Ascend Kayak  (Read 8897 times)

Joebronco

• Fish - Hunt - Repeat
  • Salmon
  • View Profile Joe'bronco - Hookit
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Price - $800 regular - $700 on sale

EXCELLENT starter kayak.
Best kayak under $1000 - hands down!

Look - 8/10
Speed - 3/10
Stability - 9/10
Durability - 7/10
Features - 7/10
Value - 9/10

Yes, some will turn there nose up to the fact that this is a "bass pro" kayak as I did myself.  But in all honesty, I got this kayak brand new for what I would spend on a rod/pole setup (with a discount and basspro cards)  I couldn't turn down the opportunity at testing it out for under $300.

If your budget is $1000 or less, you can't do any better unless you buy used.

Launching in a mild surf was fine with no issues.  Due to the naturally buoyant and stability of the yak it cut thru the wake very easy.

Warranty is one year mechanical or durability.

Look - all in personal perspective.  I like the color options but they should offer the standard yellow, red or orange.  Layout looks  good to the naked eye and there is obviously a ton of deck space.

Speed - wow, this thing is a beast.  I'm not into kayaks for speed but my perception and Hobie can do circles around this guy.  But it's the difference between a hummer and a civic...  Tracking is great but it should be since its upwards of 80lbs.

Stability - Wow, Never thought I could stand up In a kayak in the ocean...  But on this guy I did.  Very surprised on the ability to handle choppy waters and wakes.  Cuts thru the wakes like a delta boat.  This sold me on the kayak the most.  While pulling in a 33" ling on the yak, putting all my weight in one spot, off center, I never felt that I was going to roll.

Durability - Only owned a short while, but seems like everything is stout and stable.  The seat could use a few more modifications.  Such as, a bracket or locking mechanism to mount seat when you find your "spot".

Features - it's a mixed bag, tons of features that otherwise would be in high end kayaks.  The raised seat is a huge plus.  The hatch between your legs is a GREAT spot to put fish/tackle or a lunch.  It has foam blockers so nothing rolls around the boat and becomes unreachable.  I fit a full limit of fish (rocks/lings/cabbies) and still had a ton more room.  With that said, the hatches DO LEAK.  You need to take them off and silicone them.  A major flaw but a very easy fix.  First time out I had upwards of 3 gallons of water in the hull. (5 hours of choppy water)

Location of front pole holders was a total downer and a joke.  If they were 8" closer they would be useable.  But as they are now, they are pointless.  Paddle holders are great, but would rather have a strap then clips as the clips will eat away in the saltwater. 

Value - An overall good value.  In fact I would say this has to be the best value under $1000 that I could find.  If you want the feel and features of a high end kayak but at a small price tag, this is the yak for you.

PROS -
Value
Deck space
Stability
Raised seat
Useable deck hatches

CONS -
Placement of pole holders
Leaks
Speed
Weight (80lbs unloaded)

Rocking the Santa Cruz Raptor

- Get Bit Productions -

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
That boat looks like an aircraft carrier.

I'm not in the market for a kayak, but I always like to read reviews just to know what's out there. Thanks for posting.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Good stuff man.
Give it 5 years of abuse and report back. Hopefully that doesn't sound harsh, because I don't mean it to be. I'm just curious how it'll hold up and I love a good deal (I only buy stuff on sale haha).
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Great review thanks for giving us some insight.
That boat seems like it would be great for sweet water bass fishing. I looked at them at bps a while back and just the quality of the rectangle hatches would keep me off the salt.

Joebronco

• Fish - Hunt - Repeat
  • Salmon
Great review thanks for giving us some insight.
That boat seems like it would be great for sweet water bass fishing. I looked at them at bps a while back and just the quality of the rectangle hatches would keep me off the salt.

That was one of my issues as well.  A bit of silicone and a sponge gasket seems to work well.

Given that I believe this is a great beginner kayak, 5 years would be just about on par for a sub $1000 yak.  The only thing that I would replace are the two rectangle hatches. 

- Get Bit Productions -

WingShooter

• Sea Lion
  • I fish not to escape life but to live it.
  • View Profile Branson Baits
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Thanks for the review. I've also seen this boat by BPS. With it's great stand-up option, I think it would be a good boat for small ponds and punchin' mats in the delta on low wind days. Whats the weight rating?

Mike
www.bransonbaits.com 

US Hobie Fishing Team Member
Lowrance Pro-Staff
EGO Pro-Staff
Lew's Pro-Staff
Diawa Pro-Staff

Joebronco

• Fish - Hunt - Repeat
  • Salmon
350 lbs I think.  I'll check

This boat will be exclusively an ocean boat.  I'm really surprised on how few guys on this site use them.  They get rave reviews on every other kayak site I visited.  But either way, I was scepticel until I put it in the ocean.  even the first few hours I didn't push it.

None the less.  Next boat is a Old town Predator or a koda.

- Get Bit Productions -

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
There is a owners group on Facebook. If you haven't joined you should do so. Lots of info and little tips and tricks to rigging and sealing and what not.

Wildrooster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
update leaking has been resolved the hatches used to be flush to the hull they are now raised about 3/4 inch and that stops the water from entering the hull the kayak comes with 5 pole holders the 2 rearward ones work best
and the seat pivots 360 degs
glade you made it
now let's get our fish on

Ascend FS128T
Hobie AI yellow

Edlovestofish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I got one and love it she is on the slow side but crab pots
Fit nice up front and I put Scotty mount stufff on her we get it in
I fished sum big days in her no problem wind is A B.... but all in all
I'm less than a G in I got it before the price went up.. Fish on!

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
update leaking has been resolved the hatches used to be flush to the hull they are now raised about 3/4 inch and that stops the water from entering the hull

Man,,,, Glad I'm not the only fool to make that mistake. !      The neoprene foam gaskets were a big help too...
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.