Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:20:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Stay away from Huli Cat charter boat in HMB  (Read 10645 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Report it to the USCG and the sheriff.
The skipper is treasurer of the San Mateo County Harbor District...and also accused of sexual harassment.

Accused, yes.  But a report by the SMCHD did not lead to any action.

-Allen

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
kayakers should not mill around the mouth of the harbor.  paddle through as fast as you can and clear the boating channel.   If you cannot handle boat wakes, you shouldn't be there.

This

Keep your head on a swivel and get the fuck out of the way.
Time your exit and entry wisely.

Glad your friend is OK.
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
kayakers should not mill around the mouth of the harbor.  paddle through as fast as you can and clear the boating channel.   If you cannot handle boat wakes, you shouldn't be there.

oh man that sucks... i always try and look back/ahead and shoot through quick when it's clear. if you get caught, better know how to handle the wakes.  early morning at the green can (when PBs are heading north for a hot bite through the channel) is a different story... i feel like a frog trying to cross a freeway.... WATCH OUT!
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Tom Mattusch is one of the better captains around and runs one of the most family friendly party boats in the area, doesn’t overbook his boat, very good about helping kids and novices fish, no drunks allowed etc

He’s also an old freediver who spent a lot of years on the water on an old style dive yak, I dove with him and his crew back in the 70s and would say any kind of sexual harassment allegations would be utter bullshit, he’s an upstanding guy

It’s possible whoever was at the helm(he’s got helpers) just didn’t see the kayaks, but nobody on his boat would be likely to be brazenly careless about something like this

I was almost hit out by the buoys by one of the local sixpack boats doing full throttle, I could have kissed the boat it was so close it threw me off my yak, so I know the feeling

The mouth of the harbor and the line outside that the boats take going in and out is territory where yaks need to watch themselves and not take it for granted the boats will see them

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Would it do any good to hail the boat on the radio?  What about an air or electronic horn to get their attention?  If there was a situation that lead to litigation, proving you did all you could to get the skipper's attention to your presence could go a long way. 
GoPro camera recording the event would also make it possible to post the problem on social media, like YELP reviews and such.  Bad publicity that could affect their business is a pretty powerful motivator. 

G-Whiz

• Sea Lion
  • I'm Glen, from the mailroom!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I've known Tom (and the other folks that pilot the Hulicat) for a long time and it's not typically in there nature to do this.

I dont doubt the it was intentional, because the blew right by my last Sunday at Pedro...

But I called him out on it and he said there's another side to the story; I am waiting to hear his perception of the event that happened; I am just trying to keep the peace between the boaters and the yakers....

I also know the Harbor Master at PP; but will wait for more info for Tom, before asking John's opinion on the matter...

we both need to share and enjoy the harbor...
The one who dies with the most toys, WINS!

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
That sucks glad he’s ok, we got a few local a$$h@le locals up here that get too damn close on full throttle like it’s a damn game...... but Oregon law puts a 100 yrd(???) or so “No Wake Zone” around ALL paddle craft.... if they swamp us and it can be proved they can get a fine. But that’s Oregon.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

weiworld

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I feel you bud!  Same thing happened to me last year by private boaters though. Its happened while I was going out.  Two boats racing out and the wake were really close together , wasn't expecting to get thrown off but it happened.  I learned to be extra carful during salmon season after that.

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
As a last ditch effort you think using a powerful strobe flashlight might get their attention?
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have watched kayakers when I am on a charter, and have seen some dumb things from both the boater and yakker side. I watched last Friday as two kayaker (I think were renting them) had no wet suit, or wearing PFD's went out of the mouth to paddle around. I( thought that was dumb, but renters think they are safe and go for it. I have also been blown around by the wake of speeding boats. I assume all boaters are going full throttle until proven otherwise. Keep in mind a lot of these boaters are out there for the same thing we are, to fish. This is their day off and they are trying to make the most of it. As long as paddle in a boating lane, you are as my North East Cousin in East Booth Bay, Maine likes to say (in my best down east voice) "Nothing more than a speed bump to a Lobsterman."

Often these folks are looking further out for things than we can see with our limited on water vision, other boats, buoy's of one sort or another, divers, whales, dolphins, stray nets, rocks, reefs and what not. Not to mention the plethora of electronic navigational aids, cell phones, radios, radar, and anything or person chatting away with them.  Lets not turn this into a an US versus them, we have enough issues with boat ramps, parking, and issues, lets not turn the Charter guys against us too.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

OmarL

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
As a last ditch effort you think using a powerful strobe flashlight might get their attention?

Next time I will tried and bring my Acebeam K60 then pointed to the Captain.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Publicly shame him on his Facebook page. And call their office and chew them out. It might have been an accident, but it's like a car rolling a stop sign and almost hitting someone. Not acceptable, and if there are zero consequences for him, he will do it again.

https://www.facebook.com/hulicatfishing/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:53:44 AM by Malibu_Two »
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Publicly shame him on his Facebook page. And call their office and chew them out. It might have been an accident, but it's like a car rolling a stop sign and almost hitting someone. Not acceptable.

Really?  Why not just give him a call and give him an opportunity to address?  Most of the time, a little education on both sides, goes a long way.

This whole thread has a bad vibe.  I betcha if any one of you was having an incident in the water, Tom would be one of the first to back up to you to help, if he was in the immediate area.  Why burn bridges like this?

-Allen

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Fair enough. But if he's defensive or makes excuses, take to social media. I'm a big believer in cyclist, kayaker, and pedestrian rights and safety on roads and waterways, and have had some close calls with reckless boats and cars; I have little patience for bad drivers (of land and water based vehicles). But I suppose you're right that a phone call might be the best first step.

Publicly shame him on his Facebook page. And call their office and chew them out. It might have been an accident, but it's like a car rolling a stop sign and almost hitting someone. Not acceptable.

Really?  Why not just give him a call and give him an opportunity to address?  Most of the time, a little education on both sides, goes a long way.

This whole thread has a bad vibe.  I betcha if any one of you was having an incident in the water, Tom would be one of the first to back up to you to help, if he was in the immediate area.  Why burn bridges like this?

-Allen
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Maybe they need to setup up something like they had a Depoe bay last year. When someone is going thru the chute to get out of the bay a call was communicated to the harbor master . Charters and kayakers were always aware of if someone was heading out or in. Seemed like a great way to handle this.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

anything