Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Fisherman's Life video - No bueno  (Read 5483 times)

Nolanduke

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016

I honestly don't care about wearing a PFD or a radio. It's my choice, and I don't understand why it seems some on here like chastising others for their decisions in life.

Its because the second he dies b/c of stupid decisions around safety, there will be more of that sweet CA red tape we all love just to get OTW.  Reading through post after post where veteran fisherman are chastising a newb is a great way to gauge relative safety precautions to take. 

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
I'd have to admit, we (NKCA) do spend quite some time criticizing what other people should have with them otw.  Of course we all know that a wetsuit, pfd, radio, etc will save your life someday or it may never come to that even.  I guess we can critique and point things out, but in the end, there are some stupid ass people in this world and sometimes, there is nothing we could do to change their ways.  We can only try to point them in the right direction and hope they listen. 

However, this dude in the video seems like he will need another "uh oh" experience where he's separated from his kayak and paddle and needs a rescue since he neglects to take peoples' advice.  How else does one understand the need for these items if simple friendly advice doesn't work?   

On another note, I can tell its winter!   :smt044  :smt044
If you ain't first, you're last.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I'd have to admit, we (NKCA) do spend quite some time criticizing what other people should have with them otw.  Of course we all know that a wetsuit, pfd, radio, etc will save your life someday or it may never come to that even.  I guess we can critique and point things out, but in the end, there are some stupid ass people in this world and sometimes, there is nothing we could do to change their ways.  We can only try to point them in the right direction and hope they listen. 

However, this dude in the video seems like he will need another "uh oh" experience where he's separated from his kayak and paddle and needs a rescue since he neglects to take peoples' advice.  How else does one understand the need for these items if simple friendly advice doesn't work?   

On another note, I can tell its winter!   :smt044  :smt044
+1
You sound too wise, W. You must be in hibernation!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
People do what people do. On a kayak,car,boat, bike on foot.
I didn't ever think about sharks until I talked to fishunter.now even in the bay early mornings I get the jaws movie sensation.

Live n let live and all that stuff.some learn the easy way some learn the hard way.
I'm just glad the few times I was on the blue in regular clothes I didn't capsize
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

macha

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
I've watched tons of Fisherman's Life videos, and enjoyed them thoroughly. The content, editing, and his chill personality make for extremely easy, enjoyable viewing, but I, too, was surprised to see him out at PP without "requisite gear." Not sure why he chose to go out the way he did, however, to his credit, he did check on the wind and swell before going out, and luckily conditions stayed true to the forecast.

This spring will be my first time out in the great salt and I've already 'loaded up' on safety equipment that was recommended by anglers on this site. Hopefully, Matts will continue to entertain with his cool videos, but anglers will read and follow the advice found on these pages. 

iamjusjus

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2018
I've watched tons of Fisherman's Life videos, and enjoyed them thoroughly. The content, editing, and his chill personality make for extremely easy, enjoyable viewing, but I, too, was surprised to see him out at PP without "requisite gear." Not sure why he chose to go out the way he did, however, to his credit, he did check on the wind and swell before going out, and luckily conditions stayed true to the forecast.

This spring will be my first time out in the great salt and I've already 'loaded up' on safety equipment that was recommended by anglers on this site. Hopefully, Matts will continue to entertain with his cool videos, but anglers will read and follow the advice found on these pages. 

Couldn't agree more! His content is across the board helpful, and ever sense to he recently go a little inflatable boat and outboard, i doubt he will be trekking out too far in the yak. With that said, not having spent too much time out far from various rock walls or beaches, I feel like I should invest just a bit more into some safety equipment.

anything