Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:47:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: down to pull the trigger on a 120  (Read 2143 times)

billyk

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I have asked for opinions and a few honest dealers gave me some things to look for. The most important was make sure a cheap box store kayak is not plastic but Polyethylene,Roto Molded. So the Wilderness System 120 is but I find out here on the forum that West Marine bought the mold and is making the 120. And it is not plastic but roto molded polyethylene.That fact made me want to run down and buy it.I know the hardware is plastic not aluminum like the Wilderness but I can change that in time so no big deal there.Am I missing something about a 500 dollar difference in price??West Marine 599  Wilderness system 1135. What gives?

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The West Marine one won't come with a seat but does have an anchor trolly if you fish freshwater, this might be a nice addition.  West Marine doesn't "own" the mold.  The parent company that makes the Pompano 120 for W.M. is the parent company of Wilderness Systems.  It's just a private label kayak for W.M. with the features it includes.  It's a nice freshwater, inland or near coastal yak.  I've rigged a few out for West Marine over the past couple years with fishfinder/gps units & some access.

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
The west marine model is also the pre 09 tarpon model.perception has a boat from the same mold as does one other maker that I can't think of.

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
The west marine model is also the pre 09 tarpon model.perception has a boat from the same mold as does one other maker that I can't think of.
Perception makes the Pompano 120 ... it's all a part of a 9 company umbrella

billyk

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
thanks guys I know the seat is not gonna make it and I amd looking for something primo. I don't think the Jackson type seat will work those seem really nice. I saw a few at west marine about 130 bucks but there maybe more comfortable out there for me.I will be in lakes,rivers (no white water) and the san francisco bay northern end

seabird

• Salmon
  • Oh my GAHWD Jay, It's a baby fahkin WHEEL jay
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
If you are a fan of the hull, you can likely find a lightly used Tarpon 120 or 140 for not much more than than the WM unit, with the fancy "Phase3 AirPro" seat, orbix hatches, slidetrac rails etc. It may take some research (ie calling shops) but they're out there. Also keep in mind that people are likely to be selling their old boats before too long once the rockfish season closes in December.

I'm not going to say my experience is representative, but I was able to find my 2013-ish Tarpon 140 for $600 in basically un-used condition. When looking I saw 120s around the $700 mark, so they're out there if you look for them.

If this is your first kayak, I would make sure you try out the tarpon and others before you commit to buying. I've grown used to the Tarpon's stability characteristics, but some people may be turned off by how responsive it can be to hip movements.

billyk

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I looked at a Wilderness system 140 today and the guy don't like it .He bought it a few months back and may want to sell it.I am waiting to see how much. I was worried it would be too long .I guess a good wheel system to get it from the truck to the water would help.I tried out Ocean Trident and it was not that stable for me.

Chet

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I tried out Ocean Trident and it was not that stable for me.

Trident is one the most stable kayaks out there that can maintain speed. If you get a wider kayak, it would be more stable but it is lacked of speed. You will hate it when you take it out to the ocean when the wind comes up.
It's your first try, that's how most people feel with anything first time.

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_2 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=87570.0

For sale [Lithium Battery] Version_1 -> Postponing
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=84409.msg959037#msg959037

=======================================

2016 Dune Hobie AI
2011 Red Hobie AI
Trident 15
Tarpon 140
Prowler 13

My adventure
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75214.0

krusty

• No stinkin'
  • Sea Lion
  • Is This Edible?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I tried out Ocean Trident and it was not that stable for me.

The Ocean Kayak Trident 13 is 29.5" wide, almost as wide as the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 at 30", but wider than the 28" Tarpon 140. I paddle a Trident 13, and it is stable enough for me to stand up in calm waters. But I mostly fish the ocean, so I fish seated. I tend to cover a lot of water when trolling, so I wish I bought a narrower, faster boat. You will get used to the stability of a narrower kayak, but you will not go faster in a wider one.

You should paddle lots of different kayaks to find one that suits your needs. Demoing kayaks is much cheaper than buying an untried kayak and selling it because you hate its paddling characteristics.

billyk

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks guys. I guess I should have said I am not remotly interested in going out side the gate.Lakes and rivers and northern part of the bay. Speed not important to me so a wide body is what I would like. I saw a Hobie today that looked like a football field.Not sure the model but it's girth caught my eye.

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Thanks guys. I guess I should have said I am not remotly interested in going out side the gate.Lakes and rivers and northern part of the bay. Speed not important to me so a wide body is what I would like. I saw a Hobie today that looked like a football field.Not sure the model but it's girth caught my eye.
Best advice ... test out as many as you can. Sounds corny, but your boat will find you.

Speed might not seem like a big deal and you'd gladly sacrifice it for stability now, but your thoughts on that may likely change. I paddle a wide boat and while I thought I'd need that much stability in the beginning, I can get by on much narrower boats once my paddle skill (and balance) improved. There have been many outings where I would have gladly shaved off an inch or two of width to pick up a little more speed. Especially if you're hitting the bay and are fighting a stiff tide.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Oh man, I remember when I thought I'd never go out to the open ocean... It started with ponds and streams. Then it was lakes and rivers. Then to large reseviors and bays. Then the big blue got me! You try to go back to those smaller waters, but it's just not as exciting!

At any rate I just want to echo what others are saying. Do as much test paddling as you can before you buy. It's difficult to tell what you personally want without getting to experience different kayaks. there are many members here who are willing to help and many shops who do demos. Headwaters is doing a small demo at the clear lake freshkats tourney Saturday. It's a 2 hour drag for you from Novato but you could look and post in that thread to see if you could tag along.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I have a perception sport pescador 120. It comes with the comfort seating system built in. The w.m. (pompano) does not.  The pescador i have is the angler edition came with a few rod holders and anchor, paddle etc.

Ive taken it to ther ocean many times no problem. It does the job, no complaints. Im so used to everything and feel so comfortable with all its features i personally would stick to wilderness systems.

Im thinking of selling it, since im in the process of upgrading within the next week or so, (to a thresher) Pm me if you're interested. I just don't know how much i want and what kind of extras ill include yet. Its solid red in color.
-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
A quality seat can be very important. Consider buying used to stretch your budget. Better to get a kayak you use and enjoy than one that sits in the garage because in gives you a pain in the back and but. Of course a budget is a budget and sometime that all we have. Plus there are always lots of extras that we need to go with it. Definitely look around for end of season sales. I found this on Craig's list. Check it out.

Adventure Sports at Big Break Marina is having a huge closeout sale on last years rentals, used demos, and closeout kayaks for the end of the summer. We have many well known brands in stock like Hobie, Wilderness Systems, and Ocean Kayak. You can contact us atshow contact infoSome kayaks will include paddles other may not ask questions for any additional information thanks.

Tribe 9.5 cloud used $400 Retails $505
Venus 10 blue used $400 Retails $599
Venus 11 berry used $575 Retails $749
Tarpon 100 dusk used $625 Retails $715
Aspire 105 sand used $649 Retails $755
Tribe 135 mango used $650 Retails $750
Tarpon 120 red used $675 Retails $935
Pungo 120 lime used $699 Retails $875
Malibu 2XL sunrise used $749 Retails $849
Tarpon 120 mango used $750 Retails $935
Trident 13 yellow used $775 Retails $1099
Tarpon 140 lime used $799 Retails $1035
Predator 13 yellow used $949 Retails$1399
Thresher Camo used $1255 Retails $1405
Revolution 13 red used $2000 Retails $2349
Oasis Red used $3199 Retails $3549

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

anything