Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 11:33:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:38:53 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 PM]

[Today at 10:28:01 PM]

[Today at 09:35:28 PM]

[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Squirt boat comeback  (Read 5989 times)

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
In these nice, glitter colors ... I'd be worried about a BIG ling attacking  :smt002

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Kind of looks like drowning, with style....

So, when they make an underwater version of Buzz Lightyear, it'll come with one of these boats...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

[WR]

• Salmon
  • VFW Life Member at Large since 1997
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
Kind of looks like drowning, with style....

So, when they make an underwater version of Buzz Lightyear, it'll come with one of these boats...

HA!! yeh I guess that's true
Why so many typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs...

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
that doesn't look fun to me. I think I'd drowned in that thing. Dog doesn't look like he is having fun either. 
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
That "poem" was all I needed to know about shart-boating.

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Jeebus, what a bunch of whiny nancies that sit on plastic and fish, rather than actally kayak and love the sport.

Thanks for the vids and pics spider. I've only squirt boated on accident, (for those of you that don't kayak it's when you hit a particular violent eddyline or whirlpool and find yourself in your yak looking up from 8' under at the surface wondering WTF just happened) but it's cool what theses guys and gals are doing harnessing currents and features underwater is awesome. It's obviously not the best spectator sport, but that's not the point.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:16:07 PM by wizz »
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
"The howling tide of unreason beats against pure fact with incredible fury"-Terrence Mckenna

Hydrospider

Thanks for adding the link Wizz.
Ive spotted squirt boat articles in other resources lately too.

I enjoyed the opposing perspectives and mockery but I still can't help but see the skills, strength, and composure required to survive squirt boating.
The guys in the 80s video were shredding! Ok, the soundtrack was the worst ever and some of them had ponytails, but it still looked like fun.  And of course, there was a lot of "twirling around", it was the 80s.
Ill probably always like those boats. It might not be solely because of my kayaking interests.
I grew up thinking that the Corvette Stingray was the coolest thing on the planet.
I can't deny their similarities.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I dig the flake paint jobs.  I'd throw some gold pinstriping on that emerald green yak for good measure. 

As far as squirt boating goes....looks like a hell of a core workout!  Abs of steel status.

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Hydrospider

ABSolutely strong.

Even with the risk of being wrapped in fishing line or just spooking the fish in the first place, it's still hard for me not to invision this as a possible documenting platform for river fishing.
A GoPro helmet cam as well as one mounted on the bow could offer some unique perspectives.

Hydrospider

A few more boats, and yes, they can ride "real" surf.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
SQUIRT BOATER PINS IN UPPER GAULEY
Conestoga Rapid near Summersville, West Va.
Date: September 23, 1990
Volume: 2500 cfs; Classification: IV
SUMMARY: On September 23, 1990 Brian Brodin, an experienced paddler from Northern Virginia, became bow pinned in a steep side chute in the right side of Conestoga Rapid on West Virginia's Upper Gauley River. Despite the vigorous efforts of professional guides and private boaters on the scene rescue came too late; he was evacuated by helicopter to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
DESCRIPTION: The Upper Gauley River is one of the East's classic expert runs. The regular fall releases draw paddlers from all over the country to test their skills in the sublime beauty of the canyon. Conestoga rapid, one drop upstream from "Ship Rock", is not considered a major drop. But like most of the so-called minor drops, it has passages and side chutes which are narrow, obstructed, and dangerous.
The victim, Brian Brodin, had been paddling for many years in conventional craft but had only been squirt boating on the Lower Potomac. The Gauley was a major step up in difficulty. Paddlers who were with him said that he ran the major drops cleanly and under control. They also stated that he was aggressively seeking out tight passages in the intervening minor rapids to test his skills.
In Conestoga Rapid, Brian's squirt boat became pinned in a narrow (6-8' wide), steep (4-5' vertical) slot in the last drop on the extreme right side. Below the slot is an underwater rock which complicates the line. The victim's boat pitoned just upstream of this rock; the low-volume stern was carried underwater and flattened against the ledge. Several feet of fast-moving water pounded against the victim's back with considerable force.
Immediately after the pin commercial guides and private paddlers swarmed on the rocks which formed the sides of the slot. At about 1:25 pm Brodin had his hands on rescue bags thrown from both sides, but was unable to use them to fight his way out. He was sitting upright, with an air pocket forming around his head. After considerable effort, the victim let go of the ropes. His upper body was pushed forward by the current, collapsing the air pocket and washing off his helmet.
A raft was maneuvered to the base of the slot, using ropes thrown from the rocks upstream. Brodin's life jacket and paddle jacket were grabbed by rescuers, but pulled off. In the meantime, another group of guides were working to swamp a raft on the upstream side. During this latter procedure a Class VI Whitewater guide, Jerry Drennen, slipped while setting a belay and broke his ankle. The raft was eventually maneuvered across the slot, and air released from the upstream tube while a number of people sat on it. When the broached raft had blocked a good portion of the flow, the downstream  raft was able to attach a rope to the victim's left hand. The rope was passed to the upstream raft, and Brodin was pulled free.
 CPR was started at 1:45, twenty minutes from the start of the rescue. The victim was rafted downstream to Ship Rock and transferred to a helicopter. His heart continued to beat until 1 am the following morning, when he was pronounced dead.
 Source: Steve Taylor
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I dig the flake paint jobs.  I'd throw some gold pinstriping on that emerald green yak for good measure. 

And a mural of the Virgin Mary too holmes  :smt028
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
SQUIRT BOATER PINS IN UPPER GAULEY
Conestoga Rapid near Summersville, West Va.
Date: September 23, 1990
Volume: 2500 cfs; Classification: IV
SUMMARY: On September 23, 1990 Brian Brodin, an experienced paddler from Northern Virginia, became bow pinned in a steep side chute in the right side of Conestoga Rapid on West Virginia's Upper Gauley River. Despite the vigorous efforts of professional guides and private boaters on the scene rescue came too late; he was evacuated by helicopter to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
DESCRIPTION: The Upper Gauley River is one of the East's classic expert runs. The regular fall releases draw paddlers from all over the country to test their skills in the sublime beauty of the canyon. Conestoga rapid, one drop upstream from "Ship Rock", is not considered a major drop. But like most of the so-called minor drops, it has passages and side chutes which are narrow, obstructed, and dangerous.
The victim, Brian Brodin, had been paddling for many years in conventional craft but had only been squirt boating on the Lower Potomac. The Gauley was a major step up in difficulty. Paddlers who were with him said that he ran the major drops cleanly and under control. They also stated that he was aggressively seeking out tight passages in the intervening minor rapids to test his skills.
In Conestoga Rapid, Brian's squirt boat became pinned in a narrow (6-8' wide), steep (4-5' vertical) slot in the last drop on the extreme right side. Below the slot is an underwater rock which complicates the line. The victim's boat pitoned just upstream of this rock; the low-volume stern was carried underwater and flattened against the ledge. Several feet of fast-moving water pounded against the victim's back with considerable force.
Immediately after the pin commercial guides and private paddlers swarmed on the rocks which formed the sides of the slot. At about 1:25 pm Brodin had his hands on rescue bags thrown from both sides, but was unable to use them to fight his way out. He was sitting upright, with an air pocket forming around his head. After considerable effort, the victim let go of the ropes. His upper body was pushed forward by the current, collapsing the air pocket and washing off his helmet.
A raft was maneuvered to the base of the slot, using ropes thrown from the rocks upstream. Brodin's life jacket and paddle jacket were grabbed by rescuers, but pulled off. In the meantime, another group of guides were working to swamp a raft on the upstream side. During this latter procedure a Class VI Whitewater guide, Jerry Drennen, slipped while setting a belay and broke his ankle. The raft was eventually maneuvered across the slot, and air released from the upstream tube while a number of people sat on it. When the broached raft had blocked a good portion of the flow, the downstream  raft was able to attach a rope to the victim's left hand. The rope was passed to the upstream raft, and Brodin was pulled free.
 CPR was started at 1:45, twenty minutes from the start of the rescue. The victim was rafted downstream to Ship Rock and transferred to a helicopter. His heart continued to beat until 1 am the following morning, when he was pronounced dead.
 Source: Steve Taylor
Wait......... Are you telling me that ww kayaking carries a risk of drowning, that boats can get pinned, broached, feet can get entrapped etc? I'm so glad you dug that article up from 1990, completely changes my perspective.
Maybe you should reconsider kayak fishing, I read a guy got his feet bit off in Hawaii and died! Tragic. And that was more recent than 1990! Be afraid Al! Kayaking is dangerous.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:38:03 PM by wizz »

wizz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
ABSolutely strong.

Even with the risk of being wrapped in fishing line or just spooking the fish in the first place, it's still hard for me not to invision this as a possible documenting platform for river fishing.
A GoPro helmet cam as well as one mounted on the bow could offer some unique perspectives.
Sick surf shot, I didn't think they'd have the volume but I reckon once your at speed those edges would carve nicely.