Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 04:06:09 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayaking and/or Boating?  (Read 1677 times)

steph281086

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Hi All,
Not sure if this is the right place to start this or if this has already been asked. I'm really curious to know how kayaking and boating get's along with each other. I'm starting to get into kayak fishing (really love it) and I did my fair share of boat angling but I'd like to know who does both? kayaking and boating and why?

How about a bayliner with thule racks?  :smt005

Thanks
Define fishing: "A jerk on one end of a line Waiting for a jerk on the other end"

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Black/Orange

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
There are a number of us who do both.  Both have their place ... IMHO.  For the most part, boats & yak's get along on the ocean but there are some boaters who ask why the neck anyone would jump in a tuperware tub & go fishing.  THEN there are the times when the yak anglers are hooking up & the boats come over to get all the intel.  I believe the yak angler becomes more proficient at fishing because we, generally, don't have the luxury of hauling a lot of gear & trying a lot of places ... build focus on site selection, technique & lure choice/presentation.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
small boats with small motor's no issues myself. dipshits with bass boats moving at the speed of light, with excessive wakes un safe for anyone else on the water, I got issues with.  Boats at sea who insist on getting on top of you with and ensuring you get a nasty wake from them.  Kayaker not obeying boating rules also bugs me as well, as we become our own hazard.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
A lot of boaters got into kayaking because they were drawn to the simplicity of kayaking, the cheaper costs for launching and parking, or to access areas they normally couldn't do so by boat.  Yakkers and boaters do get along for the most part on the ocean, but I've had some bad experiences with water skiers and bass boats on the delta and lakes when i'm apparently in 'their way'. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

steph281086

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks guys. This is interesting.
How about having both? Do most kayakers end up with a boat? or do boaters purchase kayaks to reach those inaccessible remote spots?
Define fishing: "A jerk on one end of a line Waiting for a jerk on the other end"

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
You're asking us to generalize thoughts and attitudes that are gonna have answers unique to each individual. 

I have both cause I love the ocean and like toys.  They both get used, the circumstances in which I choose to use them vary every time I go out.

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

steph281086

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
You're right. Sorry about that.
I'm new to this and I'm just trying to get a feeling of things. I've met people that are super eco and all about paddle power. Then I recently  met a kayak guide who lost a client during a paddle because she got hit by a drunk boater.
So I can see how there could be tensions and stuff...
It seems like anglers get along with each other. Thats nice, because I love the water no matter what I'm on nothing beats getting my lines wet.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I kayak because I can't afford a boat along with the expense of a boat.because I kayak even if I bought a boat now I'd still kayak
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I kayak because I can't afford a boat along with the expense of a boat.because I kayak even if I bought a boat now I'd still kayak
ditto, But I wouldn't mind an offshore console if I won the lotto.
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

ReelKnots

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Never leave FISH to find FISH.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Thanks guys. This is interesting.
How about having both? Do most kayakers end up with a boat? or do boaters purchase kayaks to reach those inaccessible remote spots?
[/quote

I used to owned a 21 ft Trophy Bayliner and downgrade to this!  :smt003

-Kiel
ARW King Of The Wall 2019
1st Place - Albion Open 2009
OK Trident 13 ( My Trophy )
495 Stealth Evolution
Hobie Revo 13

In Loving Memory of Joel " Mooch " Lotilla.

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I had a nice 20' boat for awhile. With the costs of registration, maintenance and fuel it was just to much. It really sucked when it was $100+ every time I just wanted to go to a lake and fish. Since then I've spent more in kayaks than I ever spent on the boat itself, but I haven't even touched the fuel costs. The difference is I get out 20x more than I did with the boat. I spend a solid 150 days/yr on the water with the kayaks. With the boat I was lucky to go out twice a month.

Santa Cruz Raptor SoT - sold
Hobie Outback - sold
Native Watercraft Slayer 13

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I mostly fish freshwater, and from my experience, I can use my kayak to accomplish just about anything a powerboat could do and then some.  I like the stealth and precision a kayak can provide.  The ability to launch from just about anywhere.  The general simplicity of it all.  And the kick that I get from catching just as many (if not more) quality fish as the guys in the pricey powerboats.  The only time I think I'll consider buying a powerboat is when I'm physically unable to kayak.

As for interactions with powerboats: usually they're friendly.  Like others mentioned, bass boats can be a PITA.  I've had guys in bass boats roll up on me at full-bore and start fishing RIGHT ON TOP OF ME.  When I address them, they say "we're fishing in a tournament." Yeah, like that's some sort of excuse to be an asshole  :smt012.  They have a general disregard for anyone else trying to enjoy a day of fishing.  I know that not all bass boat anglers are like this, but it's only taken a few bad apples to sour my attitude towards the lot of them.  It's to the point now where if I'm aware of a bass tourney occurring when I'm on the lake, I'll switch over to fishing other species just so I don't have to deal with the BS.
aMayesing Bros.

steph281086

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks guys. Some good info.
The bass boat thing seems to be spread out throughout the whole community. Even within the boaters...
What I can conclude from this is that I'm going to work really hard to make myself visible to other boats.
I think a good analogy would be: Kayaks are like the motorcycles of the water... except they are way quieter. You can't only watch out for yourself but you have to watch out for others too.

thanks again.