Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New boat day!  (Read 1805 times)

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I sold the Hobie and today my new Slayer arrived. I've got an absolute ton of rigging to do, tomorrow all the accessories are supposed to show up. I'm planning to make a late night out of it and just try to get most of it done Thursday night so all the Goop will be cured in time for this weekend. My only issue with the entire is it's missing the "thwart bar" which allows me to mount the drive to the boat. I'm going to just go pick up a piece of pipe until they can send me the proper piece.

Pics!

Santa Cruz Raptor SoT - sold
Hobie Outback - sold
Native Watercraft Slayer 13

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Loving the color!  :smt007  Cant wait to see it rigged!  :smt003  Congrats on your new ride!  :smt002
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Baitman

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
  Sure is purdy !      Congrats !
Sometimes the fish isn't the only prize.
2nd place  Simply Fishing 2013
   Designer  Raptor kayaks

You must pass through the valley of stupidity to ascend the mountain of knowledge.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
That yak is HOT!
...I think I just thwarted...!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Just thinking how nice reverse would be.   :smt007

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

mojankie

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I am interested in how you like it compared to the Hobie. What model of Hobie did you use?

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I am interested in how you like it compared to the Hobie. What model of Hobie did you use?

I had an Outback Mirage 2012 model. My buddy actually sold it to me when he upgraded to a slayer. I couldn't deal with the seat and ended up selling it last weekend to buy the Slayer. I'll post my thoughts on it when I've had it for a little while and spent a hundred hours in the seat or so.

Hobie Outback - sold

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Just thinking how nice reverse would be.   :smt007

Alex

Reverse is incredible.....!

And that's a great looking kayak!
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I'm interested how it will do with some minor kelp. Like how hard it will be to untangle the occasional piece of floating kelp in the prop. If it passes that test I could consider one of those. 
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Rigging is just about complete!

Hobie Outback - sold

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Did you ever find the thwart bar?  I actually believe I have an extra one here somewhere if you are having trouble getting it.  The thwart bar should have been attached to the pod cover. the one thing to be careful of is to not overtighten the drive to the thwart bar, it is supposed to be tightened to a certain torque level or it could crack the drive.

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Did you ever find the thwart bar?  I actually believe I have an extra one here somewhere if you are having trouble getting it.  The thwart bar should have been attached to the pod cover. the one thing to be careful of is to not overtighten the drive to the thwart bar, it is supposed to be tightened to a certain torque level or it could crack the drive.

The thwart bar wasn't shipped with the boat but I contacted ACK and there is one winging it's way to me already. It wasn't a big deal, I picked up a 1" wooden dowel for the time being and that worked fine. As for torquing it down I did read that in the booklet that came with the drive and I will put a torque wrench on it when it comes in and torque it to spec. Thanks for the heads up on that!

Hobie Outback - sold

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I'm interested how it will do with some minor kelp. Like how hard it will be to untangle the occasional piece of floating kelp in the prop. If it passes that test I could consider one of those.
I usually try to dodge kelp, but its easy to remove if you get it stuck. Just pull the drive up and remove the kelp.  I think its easier to remove and store the drive for kelpy areas than pulling the hobie pedals, and you get less water surge into your kayak than on the hobies with the drive out.  You do end up losing some deck space once you bring the drive up though since it sits in front of you.  I've been slacking on my pro staff duties but will try to put together a review of both the SP13 and the SP10 somewhat soon (teaser - I love the SP10 more than any kayak I've ever owned)

Madcat

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I usually try to dodge kelp, but its easy to remove if you get it stuck. Just pull the drive up and remove the kelp.  I think its easier to remove and store the drive for kelpy areas than pulling the hobie pedals, and you get less water surge into your kayak than on the hobies with the drive out.  You do end up losing some deck space once you bring the drive up though since it sits in front of you.  I've been slacking on my pro staff duties but will try to put together a review of both the SP13 and the SP10 somewhat soon (teaser - I love the SP10 more than any kayak I've ever owned)

To piggyback on this, I have the Boonedox rudder and have notice an issue where kelp will float up between the end of the center-hull and the rudder since there is a gap. When I get some time I'm going to call Boonedox and give them a heads up on the issue. I don't believe to many people on the west coast have natives at this point so I have a feeling they're not aware of the issue. Hopefully they'll be receptive to user input.

As far as the drive goes, it's a cakewalk to untangle it or put it up/down. It's definitely quicker than the Hobie in regards to deploying and removing it and I have managed to free it up just by reversing for a moment. I can tell you I did about 15 miles this weekend with my fishing buddy who's also in a slayer and had much less strain on my thighs and knees than I did in my Outback. We did about 2.5 miles in around 40-45 minutes of straight pedaling and probably could have done double that. It just pedals very easily and once it gets moving it's super easy to keep a steady cadence that will give you around 3.5 mph (gps confirmed).

I absolutely love the boat btw, I honestly can't say a purchase has lived up to the hype this well in a long time. Within 2 minutes of being in the boat I was standing and the next day I was standing comfortably and looking for spots that looked promising.

Hobie Outback - sold

5outta6

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Were you satisfied with the service and delivery from ACK ( Austin canoe and kayak, I presume)?