Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 05:10:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:04:06 PM]

[Today at 04:52:25 PM]

[Today at 03:25:49 PM]

[Today at 01:30:39 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:36:07 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:58:15 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:57:35 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Videos are cool  (Read 3305 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
If I have to do it all over, I would use my phone as my primary video recorder.  Aside from that, I have the Yi 4K (https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Sports-Camera-Control/dp/B01FU9ZIMU).

Not to threadjack, but just curious if others have success using their phone as a camera when kayak fishing. When kayaking, I always carry my phone in a waterproof case, but it seems to me that it would be a pretty poor substitute for a gopro (or similar).
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
If I have to do it all over, I would use my phone as my primary video recorder.  Aside from that, I have the Yi 4K (https://www.amazon.com/YI-Action-Sports-Camera-Control/dp/B01FU9ZIMU).

Not to threadjack, but just curious if others have success using their phone as a camera when kayak fishing. When kayaking, I always carry my phone in a waterproof case, but it seems to me that it would be a pretty poor substitute for a gopro (or similar).

The biggest downside I see to the is the FOV. GoPro is such a wide angle it’s pretty easy to get the shot with it not centered perfect.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

The biggest downside I see to the is the FOV. GoPro is such a wide angle it’s pretty easy to get the shot with it not centered perfect.
Hmmmmm...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

FriedKalamari

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017

Hmmmmm...

you can change the field of view to narrow, wide, widest.  you can get a cheaper hero 4 or something no need for the latest.  try it out theyre fun gadgets

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Maybe something like this?  I never tried it, but if I upgrade my phone, I am thinking hard about using this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Propel-Paddle-Gear-Kayak-Universal-GPS-Phone-Mount/49398691

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Maybe something like this?  I never tried it, but if I upgrade my phone, I am thinking hard about using this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Propel-Paddle-Gear-Kayak-Universal-GPS-Phone-Mount/49398691

I actually have a nice hard plastic waterproof iPhone case, and that’s on a railblaza mount. The case even comes with a wide angle lens. I thought it would be great and would work as a GoPro replacement. But I gave up on that after one attempt. It does work well as a gps unit. But I can’t seem to make it work as a camera in that environment. And I use my phone as a camera all the time—just not on the kayak.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I actually have a nice hard plastic waterproof iPhone case, and that’s on a railblaza mount. The case even comes with a wide angle lens. I thought it would be great and would work as a GoPro replacement. But I gave up on that after one attempt. It does work well as a gps unit. But I can’t seem to make it work as a camera in that environment. And I use my phone as a camera all the time—just not on the kayak.
Fingers to wet to operate?

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Thining about going here

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-Ram-X-Grip/dp/B010QXF11S/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=67N1Q519K114B75A514F

https://www.amazon.com/Kayalu-Toughbar%C2%AE-extension-Mounting-ParkerMounts%C2%AE/dp/B003S7K6DI/ref=pd_day0_468_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003S7K6DI&pd_rd_r=17RQB2BW8G0FBRD5TFG8&pd_rd_w=olvm2&pd_rd_wg=gPwqq&psc=1&refRID=17RQB2BW8G0FBRD5TFG8

Temdan waterproof case with floating tether and certainly leashed to arm

Opinions.... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Mark, same question ... what were the issues?  Thanks!

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

mireland62887

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I've taken video and still images of my hunting and fishing trips for years. It's usually just a convenient way to summarize a trip's photos and videos in one, all inclusive package. I've used everything from phones, point and shoot cameras, DSLR's for photos and video, and Go Pros. I usually share them with family and friends, but more importantly, it's a moment in time that is saved.

Start with a simple, free video editing program. iMovie and Windows Movie Maker are both fine to learn with. There are thousands of tutorials on YouTube to do anything you want with any program you want.

If I had to start all over, I'd get a used GoPro or less expensive equivalent, and use the free editing program that most computers come with. Get a feel for what your style and workflow (processing the videos) will be, then let that direct you as you become proficient.

Here is a super simple video I made from just a day fishing with my kids. I used a series of super short GoPro clips with a handful of still images.

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I agree with everyone. Just start simple.

I would recommend a gopro since you can download their gopro edit software. It has all the basic function you need which is to review, cut, splice, compile, etc...

If you go with the other brand, you can use either imovie or movie maker in windows. The movie maker in windows does get funky at times and won't compile too good if its a large movie or your system can't handle it.

I really like Imovie. Its very simple to use and quick if its with one of the newer macbook. I wish I had a macbook or system but in due time. I have a strung out overclocked electricity hungry PC system lol

I have used all kind of brand of camera from SJcam to YIcam to gopro. The YIcam is great for the price and function. The gopro is great but it seem to drain battery quicker than the YIcam. That's why I have a ton of batteries lol

Most of the camera can be powered through an external battery source which is great but lacks waterproof. Unless you get these which I have and its awesome

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0774QGG1G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ7RGWC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other than that, make sure you get a reliable memory card!! I can't stress that enough. Its so frustrating when you look back and you get a memory error!!

Lastly, make sure you have it RECORDING...you never know when the moment happens. lol It does take a long time to process the video if you have a lot of video to go through. From our big sur trip I had over 300 gig of video footage from multiple gopro and drone footage!!

Oh one more thing, make sure you have a lot of storage on your computer. Don't be a hoarder like me though. I save all my unedit video clip but I have 20 TB of storage. I need to go through and delete some but I can't lol

It does take some time to edit and I still go through all my old video and re-watch them. It gets me motivated to go out and fish!! Have fun!!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I've taken video and still images of my hunting and fishing trips for years. It's usually just a convenient way to summarize a trip's photos and videos in one, all inclusive package. I've used everything from phones, point and shoot cameras, DSLR's for photos and video, and Go Pros. I usually share them with family and friends, but more importantly, it's a moment in time that is saved.

Start with a simple, free video editing program. iMovie and Windows Movie Maker are both fine to learn with. There are thousands of tutorials on YouTube to do anything you want with any program you want.

If I had to start all over, I'd get a used GoPro or less expensive equivalent, and use the free editing program that most computers come with. Get a feel for what your style and workflow (processing the videos) will be, then let that direct you as you become proficient.

Here is a super simple video I made from just a day fishing with my kids. I used a series of super short GoPro clips with a handful of still images.

Super cool, thank you.  Perfect vid from my perspective.  And the memory is priceless.  Thanks again.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Great stuff crazyfisher!  Better start the learning curve, maybe my best years are ahead of me :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
OK, great info here, hero4 silver, hero5session, or hero5 black?Getting a new Mac laptop so how much storage or do I stick to external hard drives in the tb category? :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Back up, back up and back up.  Before my hands would go numb or cause shooting pains I would repair damaged hard drives.  Some people would have a terabyte of data on one drive.  It was usually the family photos that most would get real emotional about.  For the really important photos save in more than one location.  Also not a bad idea if you could get mirroring drives or RAID style storage that will store the data across several drives in case one or more goes bad.  It’s not just a bad or corrupt drive you need to think about.  Theft, fires, flood and many other possible issues could arise.
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

anything