Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:57:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 11:47:21 PM]

[Today at 11:34:08 PM]

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Rescue at Simply Fishing 2018  (Read 5870 times)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
It's impressive that everyone handled the situation so well. Glad that it turned out OK.

So, what was the cause of the leak?
Ya! What leaked!?!?!?

When raydon came back to oc he had said that the small rear hatch behind the seat may have not been closed all the way. The extra weight of that big ling he had in the tankwell was just enough weight to put the edge of the hatch under the water line.

Yes thats what we were thinking.  The paddler can't see or access that small rear hatch directly behind the seat.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 01:40:48 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I'm pretty sure it was Raydon's 18+ pound ling that swamped the yak!   :smt003

The initial plan was just to follow Raydon in, "just in case," but by the time he reached me, it was clear that his yak was taking on water way too fast.  We transferred most of his gear to my kayak while Raydon kept pumping.  Even with him pumping, it swamped and he went in.  Experience counts here.  He didn't panic, and he was dressed for the occasion.

We discussed different options and settled on towing the kayak w/ Raydon holding on.  After a short while, it became clear that I wasn't making any headway paddling against the swells, so we called for assistance.

Mel came up from TC and towed the yak and Raydon into SWN with his Revo, and I just paddled next to Raydon, having a little conversation.  Thanks go out to the folks that hailed the powerboat and to the powerboaters for standing by while we got into the mouth of SW cove!

Anyway, I suspect the rear hatch to be the culprit.  It's one of those rubber caps that if you don't hit the edge around the circumference, it might not seal... and even when it looked like it was sealed, it wasn't because the hatch string got in the way (this is what I suspect happened).  It slowly took on water from the bad seal and then really took on water once the heavy stringer went into the well.  After that, the force of the water sloshing around inside just exasperated the situation and further opened the hatch. 

While potentially a dangerous incident, it really was a non-event.  What made the difference was Raydon being dressed for immersion, Mel with his pedal drive, and having folks in radio contact. Could've happened to anyone out there. 

Lesson learned for me:  Have a better tow set-up available for a kayak and a safety line for a swimmer. 

Also, I caught a nice eater sized cabbie on my way back to OC.   :smt006
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm pretty sure it was Raydon's 18+ pound ling that swamped the yak!   :smt003

The initial plan was just to follow Raydon in, "just in case," but by the time he reached me, it was clear that his yak was taking on water way too fast.  We transferred most of his gear to my kayak while Raydon kept pumping.  Even with him pumping, it swamped and he went in.  Experience counts here.  He didn't panic, and he was dressed for the occasion.

We discussed different options and settled on towing the kayak w/ Raydon holding on.  After a short while, it became clear that I wasn't making any headway paddling against the swells, so we called for assistance.

Mel came up from TC and towed the yak and Raydon into SWN with his Revo, and I just paddled next to Raydon, having a little conversation.  Thanks go out to the folks that hailed the powerboat and to the powerboaters for standing by while we got into the mouth of SW cove!

Anyway, I suspect the rear hatch to be the culprit.  It's one of those rubber caps that if you don't hit the edge around the circumference, it might not seal... and even when it looked like it was sealed, it wasn't because the hatch string got in the way (this is what I suspect happened).  It slowly took on water from the bad seal and then really took on water once the heavy stringer went into the well.  After that, the force of the water sloshing around inside just exasperated the situation and further opened the hatch. 

While potentially a dangerous incident, it really was a non-event.  What made the difference was Raydon being dressed for immersion, Mel with his pedal drive, and having folks in radio contact. Could've happened to anyone out there. 

Lesson learned for me:  Have a better tow set-up available for a kayak and a safety line for a swimmer. 

Also, I caught a nice eater sized cabbie on my way back to OC.   :smt006

In hindsight, we should have headed to TC and gone with the current instead against it. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:38:51 PM by FishingAddict »

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Similar thing happened at Albion.  Guy forgot to close his rear hatch on a Hobie.  He was quickly taking on water.  I gave him my pump and closed his hatch.  He pumped and pumped for 5-10 minutes and everything was all good then.  I highly recommend carrying a bilge pump.

It sounds like it was a well executed rescue.  Good to hear everyone plus the kayak made it back safely.  It can all happen real quickly.

I also rescued a girl at the Cove last month.  Be prepared!!!
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
With the new 135 radar's stability... He could have climbed aboard :smt044 Good job all! :smt007
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Great story, cool heads, and strong work for a positive outcome by all. I would tag onto what Rob said about carrying a bilge pump, I've carried one since I started well over 15 years ago and replaced them twice in that time. I am really surprised at just how many in our club don't even carry one or even think about the logic of where they stow it in the case they should ever have to use it. Food for thought here folks, it gets back to the7-P'sproper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Who does the periodic surveys on this site, I would be curious at the percent of many actually carry a bilge pump on your yak? Let's bring some awareness to this potential and the commonly overlooked piece of safety gear that can save your life. It might not always be about you, what if you rolled up on a similar incident and the person in water does not have a bilge pump and neither do you, then you're faced with a sinking kayak and a person in the water that you are unable to successfully tow or paddle back to safety before hypothermia sets in.........reminds me of the Red Barn scenario :smt006

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Glad it all turned out well, this one ought to be pinned to the Top of the Safety First section for referral to anyone who asks about, what to wear, what gear do I need, etc......

Great example of how things can go wrong and how good practices can make it all turn out OK.

We have a few other great incident reports but they seem to have gotten lost in the archives, need to keep these kind of reports handy.

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Great story, cool heads, and strong work for a positive outcome by all. I would tag onto what Rob said about carrying a bilge pump, I've carried one since I started well over 15 years ago and replaced them twice in that time. I am really surprised at just how many in our club don't even carry one or even think about the logic of where they stow it in the case they should ever have to use it. Food for thought here folks, it gets back to the7-P'sproper prior planning prevents piss poor performance. Who does the periodic surveys on this site, I would be curious at the percent of many actually carry a bilge pump on your yak? Let's bring some awareness to this potential and the commonly overlooked piece of safety gear that can save your life. It might not always be about you, what if you rolled up on a similar incident and the person in water does not have a bilge pump and neither do you, then you're faced with a sinking kayak and a person in the water that you are unable to successfully tow or paddle back to safety before hypothermia sets in.........reminds me of the Red Barn scenario :smt006

This is classic reading:
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=33791.45

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
definitely carry a bilge pump. I have always carry one just in case I need to use it on the water but most of the time I use it when I'm back on shore to get the water out before hauling it back to the car.

A very good reminder and should be in everyone list of equipment. Its one of those thing that you wish you had even though you don't use it 90 percent of the time. Its the 10 percent that is critical.

Good job again everyone!!

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Who does the periodic surveys on this site, I would be curious at the percent of many actually carry a bilge pump on your yak?

I belive anyone can start a survey or "poll".  You just have to author the thread....

Anyway- 3 of my favorite guys got a little more adventure than planned, looks like.  Strong work and great example of handling things well.  Radios, bilge pump, tow rope, and most important proper clothes for immersion. did I mention PFD's I am sure Radon had his on. Also agree with Mark carry a tow rope AND a throw rope. That's big water up there with strong currents and ability for conditions to turn bad real quick.  thanks to the inknown power boater and the yakker who had the sense to ask for a standby.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Adsixnine

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2018
Great works

Thanks for sharing  :smt006

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I carry a bilge pump in my Revolution, and have added pool noodle flotation inside its hull, but recognize that if I get enough water inside the kayak, I won't be able to use the bilge pump to pump water out of the hatch in front of my seat, because water will enter the kayak's cockpit through the drive hole and the scupper holes and will splash or flow into the hatch, which is pretty low in the kayak.  If there's that much water inside the kayak, I'll need to close the hatch in front of the seat and switch to pumping water out of the front hatch, which is higher than the hatch in front of the seat.  And I probably won't be able to pump water out of the front hatch myself, because if I move forward to pump water out of the front hatch, I may push the bow of the kayak under water.  I'll need to get off the kayak into the water and let another kayaker try to pump water out of the front hatch.  If the bow or stern fills up with water and starts to sink, at some point even another kayaker won't be able to use a bilge pump to get water out of the kayak.  Then the only way to empty the kayak is to have one or two other kayakers open the front hatch, flip the kayak over, and slowly pull the stern of the kayak up on the rescue kayak(s), letting water drain out of the front hatch, and then rock the kayak back and forth until most of the water has drained out of the kayak. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:24:27 PM by pmmpete »

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
glad it was a happy ending and everyone is safe.

+1 on the bilge pump. the one i carry has been used twice. but none of those times for myself, but for fellow kayakers. you cant be too safe out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Nice work fellas!!!

Super glad everyone got back to shore safe and sound!!

:smt008

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*