Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:15:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "Spinning" Lingcod  (Read 6071 times)

fungunnin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Gloves are my best friend on the water. Neoprene 1mm when it is cold. Rubber palmed garden gloves when it is warmer. I have have seen lings break their jaws on the lip grippers but I cut his gills right after so I didn't feel too bad about it.
The biggest thing with little lings that go ape shit is you have to control them. Lingcod don't have hard spines like cabs or rockfish so I like to grab them behind the head. This gives me pretty good control of the fish. Pin them against the deck if the are doing the alligator roll on you. Just don't be timid.

Here is a vid from this weekend's ORC of how it's done with a bigger ling and a gaf, quick and smooth with a leg to pin her if she freaks out. That fish was about 35" and 16#

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:06:59 AM by fungunnin »

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Nice vid, FG.   :smt001

I don't believe in the lip grippers - they look like they'll work fine on small to mid-size fish, but aren't we out there hoping to catch really big fish?!  When a 20+ pound lingcod, salmon or halibut comes up along your boat you'll want a way to capture it and dispatch it if that's your aim.  I've been recommending the giant net for a long time, and I've also been considering how to set myself up with a flying gaff of some sort. 

When I see guys OTW w/o the means of capturing a massive fish it makes me realize that those guys may learn a hard lesson when they do bring a really big fish up alongside the yak.  A huge part of the sport for me is the consideration of what I'll do if...

I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

casey7

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
 I  attach my fishgripper to the yak with a leash. I've had it pulled out of my hand sometimes. Them lings is surprisingly strong. After I lost my pliers to a ling , I put a leash on it also.
   You can try just gripping the hook with pliers and the fish will spin itself free, never has to leave the water.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Eric you need some gloves bro! Beast mode!
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

fungunnin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice vid, FG.   :smt001

I don't believe in the lip grippers - they look like they'll work fine on small to mid-size fish, but aren't we out there hoping to catch really big fish?!  When a 20+ pound lingcod, salmon or halibut comes up along your boat you'll want a way to capture it and dispatch it if that's your aim.  I've been recommending the giant net for a long time, and I've also been considering how to set myself up with a flying gaff of some sort. 

When I see guys OTW w/o the means of capturing a massive fish it makes me realize that those guys may learn a hard lesson when they do bring a really big fish up alongside the yak.  A huge part of the sport for me is the consideration of what I'll do if...

Washington doesn't allow us to use a gaff for lingcod but we can for halibut. I rigged up a flying gaff of sorts for halibut but never had a chance to use it this year. My buddy took a 45# Pacific 'but with a Harpoon after a gaff attempt just really pissed the fish off. Big nets are great but if you catch any wind the just turn into a huge sail and can made for a crappy day in a heart beat! Here is my hali rig. Next version will be a shortened 4 footish harpoon for hali with a larger buoy.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Looks good, FG - that's the type of setup I've been playing around with, and a harpoon is on the list too.

Quote from: Sin Coast

You should see my legs after night-berrypicking with shorts on plus double digit SNPA's...   :smt005  (fine line between Beast and Bonehead   :smt003 :smt006)
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I've often thought of a similar setup as that gaff, but with a very short polespear with a toggle head as the "hali sticker" for fish over 30lbs or so, but unless I was out looking for pac halis I doubt I'd ever use it. My custom gaff I do use has worked great so far. But I am planning on getting a boga grip when the opportunity ($) presents itself.
I'm kind of done with the plastic grippers, but they do have their uses. I like them for rockies I plan to release, and for help when cleaning fish.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

fungunnin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looks good, FG - that's the type of setup I've been playing around with, and a harpoon is on the list too.

Quote from: Sin Coast

You should see my legs after night-berrypicking with shorts on plus double digit SNPA's...   :smt005  (fine line between Beast and Bonehead   :smt003 :smt006)

The shark hook gaff doesn't need the buoy for most fish. The benefit is being able to have a flexible connection to the fish if it decides to go crazy. The other option is a locking gaff used to handle big tarpon.

For me the <$20 price tag on the shark hook DIY system is much easier to swallow.

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Gloves are my best friend on the water. Neoprene 1mm when it is cold. Rubber palmed garden gloves when it is warmer. I have have seen lings break their jaws on the lip grippers but I cut his gills right after so I didn't feel too bad about it.
The biggest thing with little lings that go ape shit is you have to control them. Lingcod don't have hard spines like cabs or rockfish so I like to grab them behind the head. This gives me pretty good control of the fish. Pin them against the deck if the are doing the alligator roll on you. Just don't be timid.

Here is a vid from this weekend's ORC of how it's done with a bigger ling and a gaf, quick and smooth with a leg to pin her if she freaks out. That fish was about 35" and 16#

I could be wrong but that ling looks just like the cabbies  I catch and cabbies have soft back spines . Been so long since I caught a ling I don't remember what their spines are for sure , but thought the were pointry ?

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Quote from: PISCEAN
....On the plastic "pliers-type" grippers I have seen fish injured when they spin off (broken jaws on lingcod).

Yep, easy to break a jaw on a ling with a plastic gripper - learned that the hard way (for the fish, anyway). Not cool if the point is to release a fish "unharmed."
Catch & Repeat

anything