Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: AOTY-2011????  (Read 6444 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
so allen, can we just pay for 2010 and it will be applied to 2011?

Actually, give me a couple days to put up a new Paypal link.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
PM was sent re: 'the problem' aka sturgeon undervalued .....but Brian's been awol.

I don't think Sturgeon is really undervalued. The top 3 sturgeon in this years tourney scored very respectably.

Now greenling ... they may be a bit overvalued.

-Allen

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
PM was sent re: 'the problem' aka sturgeon undervalued .....but Brian's been awol.

I don't think Sturgeon is really undervalued. The top 3 sturgeon in this years tourney scored very respectably.

Now greenling ... they may be a bit overvalued.

-Allen

Sunfish seem overvalued too, especially comparing to greenling and how hard either would be to target and catch.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
so allen, can we just pay for 2010 and it will be applied to 2011?

Actually, give me a couple days to put up a new Paypal link.

-Allen
ok thanks a bunch, i will wait

polepole

• Administrator
Do you all know that one of the outcomes of the first AOTY's was just to get people out fishing for a variety of fish they normally didn't fish for?

And ... the points per inch were roughly calculated assuming an good size for a particular fish resulted in 150 points and that a great fish should push 200 points.  Or something like that.  The scoring was never intended to take into account the relative difficultly of catching various species.

It would be very easy for us to just calculate the mean or median size caught in the history of AOTY for each species and determine points per inch that results in 150 points for that size.  Level the playing field ... apply math and out pops a number, no need to add any subjectivity (emotions?) into this.   :smt002

-Allen
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:21:15 AM by polepole »

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Are the sturgeon smaller fish in NW? I think that I saw them getting 3.5 on NWKA. Is that right? I think BSteves is trying to iron out AOTY on another site right now. I think that all the values are fine. Sturgeon should probably get a small bump though. .25 -.5 Good thing they lowered the WSB from 5 to 4 or my fish would have been 265 points for a slightly above average WSB.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
InIt!! toWITNESSit!!  :smt002

p.s......Go Fishing!!! and don't forget your CAMERA (&trough of coarse:smt002)
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Just a thought,
Why not go off the "Trophy" size of each fish at 100 points (in the case of a slot limit set the mid point at 100) and do the math from there to get your inch value?
This will level the playing field
As for difficulty level - it is all relevant to your location and experiance as some who live in the north coast will have less problem catching Steelhead and Rockfish while others in the valley would be more likely to catch Bass and Crappie.
Also just because you have to sit and wait for a sturgeon to bite doesn't mean that it is harder to catch than a bass you may have to cast 100 times to with precision accuracy.
To some difficulty is measured by how much physical effort is used while others only look at how long things take to accomplish.

Either way I will be glad to pay my fee and hope to catch a few along the way :smt004

See Ya Soon,
Eric / Yakhopper
Hobie Outback (dune)

9erfan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
Im down, just tell me what i need to do.....other than catch fish.

Anthony
1st place 2011 Red Barn Classic
2019 Hobie Outback

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
As for difficulty level - it is all relevant to your location and experiance as some who live in the north coast will have less problem catching Steelhead and Rockfish while others in the valley would be more likely to catch Bass and Crappie

Why hell, Eric. It seems us northern boys do know how to catch bass and crappie. Except for me of course. Got me a nice LMB though. And that damn Bird whooooooooooooooooo-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee he sho does know them bass and crappie. :smt044
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Do you all know that one of the outcomes of the first AOTY's was just to get people out fishing for a variety of fish they normally didn't fish for?

no need to add any subjectivity (emotions?) into this.   :smt002

-Allen

Allen, I thought that starting in 2006 the contest was to determine who was the best kayak angler for that year. First we had Mooch and then ChuckE, SBD, and last year HT. So far the contest has IMO done a great job of showcasing some terrific anglers and their skills. The best fishermen have risen to the top every year and I salute each of them. Again there's no 'need' to add emotion into the discussion.....because when we're talkin bout fishing.....THE EMOTION IS ALWAYS THERE BROTHER!

The current max point value for sturgeon is the only glaring deficiency in the current system. A 66" sturgeon should be worth close to the max value possible for any of the other species none of which will be caught larger than 66". It's simply wrong to undervalue this one species which also happens to be the largest species attainable in Norcal. We have 200+ point salmon, halibut, and wsb currently posted up and that's great. But unless a change is made we will never see a 200+ point dino. And that's just wrong.

I'm not going to quibble about the shit fish.....or the junk fish.....or the garbage fish. I'm just going to keep catching them  :smt005 until one day.....maybe someday.....I will finally have 'my day'.....and catch a dino. Hopefully by then it will be equal to the other great sport fishes and not treated like a common subhuman trash fish. I feel really badly for all the hard pipe-hitting, blowtorch wielding, tough as nails fishermen who persevered this year, caught their dinos, and then were denied their righteous glory by the current point structure.
 LET JUSTICE BE SERVED!  and please give dinos their rightful due. Thank you, jim  :smt001

FishWorks

• It's MudSalmon Time
  • Sea Lion
  • MOOCH STRONG
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
As a newbie in this contest and to this great club, i think the current AOTY rules are just find. I agree as well sturgy's should have a higher point value. Im grateful to have 20 diff. fish to fish for and enter as i noticed this was the first year for that. I do semi-think tho, that some anglers depending on where they live have a better opportunity to get some species, but honestly its all fair when you have 20 species of fish! Imo, you could catch the same species in quite a few different places, but catching a quality size fish of a certain species are mostly to be had or caught in SPECIFIC bodies of water. For example, this was the first year the american r. had a season in 3 years, but the average fish was only 12-15lbs, where the smith r.  salmon up north avg. 25-35lbs...I know where im fishin for salmon next year!! Im finding it to be just smarter to head to waters where a species of fish grows bigger no matter where it is!
Just Slay
Host of the Berryessa Salmon Slam

polepole

• Administrator
I still don't know why sturgeon should be singled out.  The largest of each species should all have maximum equivalent value  I'd even argue that catching the largest sturgeon in the SLOT is a hell of a lot easier than catching the biggest of each species.

-Allen

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I still don't know why sturgeon should be singled out.  Why? Because.....The largest of each species should all have maximum equivalent value. YES!

-Allen

Allen, you are right again. The big-game sport fish should have close , and by close I mean give or take some points as there is no making it exactly equal, to equal value and as soon as points for sturgeon are raised.....they will.

"The largest of each species."   Remember which one of those 'species' is actually the 'largest'.
As there is only one.....The diamondback in the rough.....THE MIGHTY STURGEON!   :smt023

polepole

• Administrator
You can't just look at max score.

Brian extracted statistical information on AOTY catches over all of time and used the current point values.  Statistically speaking WSB is the best.  Sturgeon, Steelhead, and Greenling are next.  The rest are mostly decent with flounder being an the worst on the other end of things.

So, I don't actually think the sturgeon argument hold water. Are greenling over-valued?  Yes.  Are flounder under-valued?  Yes.

-Allen

anything