Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:33:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:23:23 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 08:10:36 AM]

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Is it time to reduce Rockfish limits?  (Read 5606 times)

Willha

• Salmon
  • "Spearing is the path to enlightenment." --- Lao T
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Whats the best way to get polepole to respond to a PM?  :smt003 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
----Willha

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Whats the best way to get polepole to respond to a PM?  :smt003 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

Wait, which PM did I not respond to?  Please re-send.  Apologies ...

-Allen

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'd support reducing the sport rockfish limit to 7, but I have no delusions that it would fix the problem. There are much bigger factors at play (climate change, commercial fishing, habitat changes, etc, etc, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
To be nice you are making this too confusing...3 less rockfish caught is not going to make your life miserable well maybe if your already a miserably ol'e fart.
I just go by what has happen to the abalone to much pressure,die off now no kelp and starving. I just think its time to cut back give the system a break.
Diving with no kelp after 35 years of cursing that stuff scares the crap out of me its ugly as sin. Can it come back sure but lets give it a break and if it does come back and fishing improves up the limit back to 10 not a big deal. You could just make it counties that get a ton of pressure. Abalone take has different amounts for Mendo than it does for Sonoma so it is doable.

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Willha

There may be 4,500 commercial boats licensed in California for commercial fishing but only a fraction of them are actually fishing. Many guys, especially the older ones, are maintaining their permits in hope of a better future season that raises the value of boat and permit. They will then sell out. If you take a glance at the fleet in Bodega Bay it looks big but probably only 20 boats are actively trolling salmon this year. Perhaps a few, and it is very few, might fish for lingcod but there is a 400 pound limit per week. I don't know what the dock price is for lings but I'd bet after expenses the profit margin is slim.
Charles

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Willha

There may be 4,500 commercial boats licensed in California for commercial fishing but only a fraction of them are actually fishing. Many guys, especially the older ones, are maintaining their permits in hope of a better future season that raises the value of boat and permit. They will then sell out. If you take a glance at the fleet in Bodega Bay it looks big but probably only 20 boats are actively trolling salmon this year. Perhaps a few, and it is very few, might fish for lingcod but there is a 400 pound limit per week. I don't know what the dock price is for lings but I'd bet after expenses the profit margin is slim.

Oh I see, So its sorta like a Liquor license then? only so many are given out annually that makes sense.  I've only seen stores constantly stocked with fish everywhere and Commercial boats every time I've gone out so naturally I assume but I totally forgot that a lot of that seafood is farmed as well.  Plus in Canada the commercial fishing out there is Waaaay more prevalent.  Ive seen a lot of fish killed in the process of going for a specific species on commercial vessels more times I can count.  plus I was taking into account the countless times I go out annually for salmon, halibut, striper and sturgeon and even sometime trout and get skunked.  I catch a lot more fish than my circle of personal friends and family and I dont feel as if every sport fisherman is actually taking a ton of fish out of the Ocean when the ocean is 70% of our planet.  When everybody you know that fishes is in a group of fishing masters like the NCKA I guess it would seem as if sport fishers are raping the ocean lol.  But I know 10 people that get an annual license that fish 1 or 2 times a year and dont even catch anything. So there is that factor as well as how many people fish inland only.  I totally trust your guys judgment though I'm only pointing out what I've noticed from my personal experience but lets be honest for a second and think of how awesome it would be if there were no commercial fishing and everyone had to rely on actually catching their own fish or from a friend or family member.  It would make us all a little more awesome in our friends and families eyes.  haha
----Willha

polepole

• Administrator
lets be honest for a second and think of how awesome it would be if there were no commercial fishing and everyone had to rely on actually catching their own fish or from a friend or family member.  It would make us all a little more awesome in our friends and families eyes.  haha

Let's be honest, there will always be commercial fishing ...  :smt002

-Allen

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
lets be honest for a second and think of how awesome it would be if there were no commercial fishing and everyone had to rely on actually catching their own fish or from a friend or family member.  It would make us all a little more awesome in our friends and families eyes.  haha

-Allen

I know, I'm just selfish  :smt002 :smt044
----Willha

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile

-Allen

I resent that PM did you receive it?
----Willha

polepole

• Administrator

-Allen

I resent that PM did you receive it?

Yes, I'm conferring with the powers that be.

-Allen

Willha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
----Willha

srdave

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
One reef 7 fishermen this is what it looks like
 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Dave's illustration NOTE: NO KELP...
So how long before its fished out..........

polepole

• Administrator
One reef 7 fishermen this is what it looks like
 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Dave's illustration NOTE: NO KELP...
So how long before its fished out..........

Those are fake tracks, right?  And I count only 5.

I can think of a number of reefs that I consider get hit hard.  Guess what?  They're still producing fish.

-Allen

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Just to clarify some minor innacuracies, the good stick boats can produce over 1200lbs of salmon in two DAYS; not MONTHS.

Also, most of these comments have been repeated multiple times in various conversations throughout the years on NCKA (and the dozens of other similar sites). Not that it invalidates the current conversation; but reading those prior discussions would probably lead to more 'informed' opinions & debate. That is, if you enjoy reading about fish & fishing with a hint of politics.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Quite true. A good stick boat can produce 1,200 pounds in a couple of days. In 1988, a banner year for salmon, while fishing alone I had  days of up to 2,000 pounds but those days are the exception. Most days the catch averaged 20 to 30 fish. In a poor year like this one desperate guys are fishing for five a day although there will always be someone who has a lucky tack and get 20. Price is high. 8 to 9 dollars a pound so it keeps some fisherman from going belly up this year. Personally I think commercial trolling for salmon has a very limited future. Chances are that eventually the state will declare a state of emergency due to repeat years of inadequate water flow down the Sac and buy out the existing commercial trolling permits.
Charles

anything